Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/21/2018 6:38:33 PM EDT
Does anyone know which other Knights rails fit the SR15 mod2 gas system besides the URX 4? I’ve heard that the URX3.1 doesn’t have the room but what about a URX 2 or a Free Float RAS? Was think of putting a medium FF RAS on my 11.5 SBR. Just curious if it will fit... If you can get the gas block castle nut removed.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Urx 3.1s should fit, none of them have heat shields
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:17:50 PM EDT
[#2]
urx 3 / 3.1 will work , urx 2 should work if you remove the heat shield

you'll need the mod 2 wrench and the urx 3 / 3.1 wrench

my mod 2 cqb with a urx 3.1
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:43:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://s19.postimg.cc/85vs75qc3/20180304_171427.jpg
View Quote
Awesome gun. What optic is that?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:29:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Awesome gun. What optic is that?
View Quote
Looks like an ACOG TA02.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:53:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I would guess the FF RAS would work since I have seen a DD MK18RISII rail go on a Mod2 CQB upper.

The only URX2 I could see working on a Mod2 upper would be the 10.75.  I don't think the Rifle URX2 (20547) would work with a Mod2 gas block because you'd need clearance for the front sight.  I would love to know the answer to that.

If you do happen upon a Rifle URX2 that has no front sight, that should work well on the Mod2 gas system.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 2:05:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Looks like an ACOG TA02.
View Quote
yes it's a ta02 with an rm09 rmr
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 3:18:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I’ve been told that the gas block still needs to be clearanced with the 3.1.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. I'm pretty sure there's a small bit of modification required to pair a URX3.1 with a Mod 2. Can't remember who I was discussing it with, but they swapped their URX4 for a 3.1 and there was some slight work required.

OP, let me know if you need a Mod 2 gas block nut wrench.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Huh. I didn't know that. I've got a Mod 2 that I want to swap the URX 4 out to a 3.1. I guess I need to mock it up to see.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Huh. I didn't know that. I've got a Mod 2 that I want to swap the URX 4 out to a 3.1. I guess I need to mock it up to see.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too bad Ayan isn't around anymore. He'd know for sure what's required to make it work.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Too bad Ayan isn't around anymore. He'd know for sure what's required to make it work.
View Quote
https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/URX_3_1_on_Mod_2_compatible_/381-275585/

There is also a post on TOS saying it works but is pretty tight.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. Ayan mentioned in that link that they work together. I could be mistaken, but I swear I talked to someone here about it any they said they had to do some modding to make it work. Oh, well.

OP, why are you swapping the URX4? Don't care for the keymod version, but my URX4 MLOK rails are my favorites. Any thoughts on what you'd like to use?
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the solid design of the URX 4 but I’m old school I guess with the 4 sided rail system.

My favorite rail is the FF RAS design but also like the 3.1
I just want to make sure they could work before messing with it. Plus I have never seen a SBR mod 2 11.5 with a FF RAS.
If anyone has any pics of that combo please post!
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted: I like the solid design of the URX 4 but I’m old school I guess with the 4 sided rail system.

I just want to make sure they could work before messing with it. Plus I have never seen a SBR mod 2 11.5 with a FF RAS.
View Quote
I second this!
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like the solid design of the URX 4 but I’m old school I guess with the 4 sided rail system.

View Quote
FF RAS would be sweet.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://s19.postimg.cc/85vs75qc3/20180304_171427.jpg
View Quote
a lot of want, what acog is that? @1iviper
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

a lot of want, what acog is that? @1iviper
View Quote
ta02 with the green circle dot reticle in a geissele mount

Link Posted: 5/22/2018 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#18]
as long as the urx 3 / 3.1 doesn't have the lower heat shield there is no clearance issue's with the mod 2 gas system.  i believe only the older urx rails had the heat shield installed , they're easily removable as there are only 4 small rivets holding it to the rail

even when trying to flex the barrel by hand there isn't enough deflection to make the gas system touch the rail

here's a few pics of the gas block inside the rail

Link Posted: 5/22/2018 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
as long as the urx 3 / 3.1 doesn't have the lower heat shield there is no clearance issue's with the mod 2 gas system.  i believe only the older urx rails had the heat shield installed , they're easily removable as there are only 4 small rivets holding it to the rail

even when trying to flex the barrel by hand there isn't enough deflection to make the gas system touch the rail

https://s19.postimg.cc/sv9aq2tkz/20180220_141748.jpg

https://s19.postimg.cc/ec25oofvn/20180220_141809.jpg

https://s19.postimg.cc/hhmrfgqyb/20180220_142003.jpg

https://s19.postimg.cc/3p8cj900j/20180220_142019.jpg
View Quote
Thanks for sharing. That's a sweet build and I look forward to getting my upper outfitted with the 3.1.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://s19.postimg.cc/sv9aq2tkz/20180220_141748.jpg

https://s19.postimg.cc/ec25oofvn/20180220_141809.jpg

https://s19.postimg.cc/hhmrfgqyb/20180220_142003.jpg

https://s19.postimg.cc/3p8cj900j/20180220_142019.jpg
View Quote
@1iviper

That must be what I was thinking about earlier. And you mentioned that even when flexing the barrel by hand, the gas block doesn't contact the rail. Do you think the same could be said for a 14.5"/16" Mod 2 running a URX3.1? They'll obviously have more flex than the 11.5" CQB barrel. And thanks for the pics. The Mod 2 gas system looks beautiful inside that URX3.1.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:40:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@1iviper

That must be what I was thinking about earlier. And you mentioned that even when flexing the barrel by hand, the gas block doesn't contact the rail. Do you think the same could be said for a 14.5"/16" Mod 2 running a URX3.1? They'll obviously have more flex than the 11.5" CQB barrel. And thanks for the pics. The Mod 2 gas system looks beautiful inside that URX3.1.
View Quote
i think it would be fine , it takes alot of force to flex the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 9:01:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@1iviper

Agreed. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a mod 2 with a geissele MK14 rail.

Works fine.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a mod 2 with a geissele MK14 rail.

Works fine.
View Quote
@Marksman14

Can you post a pic?
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#27]
@Marksman14

Beautiful, man! Beautiful! I should have my Mod 2 gas block socket from Cole in tomorrow, hopefully. I'm sending my 14.5" barrel over to Marvin for a full length dimple and I can't wait to get it back. I'm sticking with the URX4 MLOK, but your Mod 2/MK14 combo is stunning! Thanks for taking the time to post the pics!

ETA: And it's funny that I saved the pics from the EE ad where you purchased that barrel and I literally JUST sent them to the OP minutes before you posted the pics! Too coincidental!

I was so jealous when you scored that barrel and E3 BCG for a steal! I was just a second too late! I'm surprised to see you didn't grab an SR-15 upper to go with the barrel/BCG/lower? They can be tough to find, but I've managed to score a couple for different projects.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

@Marksman14

Beautiful, man! Beautiful! I should have my Mod 2 gas block socket from Cole in tomorrow, hopefully. I'm sending my 14.5" barrel over to Marvin for a full length dimple and I can't wait to get it back. I'm sticking with the URX4 MLOK, but your Mod 2/MK14 combo is stunning! Thanks for taking the time to post the pics!

ETA: And it's funny that I saved the pics from the EE ad where you purchased that barrel and I literally JUST sent them to the OP minutes before you posted the pics! Too coincidental!

I was so jealous when you scored that barrel and E3 BCG for a steal! I was just a second too late!
View Quote
That deal was almost too good to be true

I never score EE deals like that.  Of course now I have two complete factory MOD2 16" rifles, and now this guy on top of it, but I can't complain too much.  Just not sure if I really need 3 16" setups

I really didn't care too much about the upper I used.  KAC doesn't use anything fancy other than a normal mil-spec upper, so I figured AERO would do the job just fine.  Not worth the premium especially when I'm not using a KAC "factory" rail.  The guts make up for it
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I never score EE deals like that.  Of course now I have two complete factory MOD2 16" rifles, and now this guy on top of it, but I can't complain too much.  Just not sure if I really need 3 16" setups

I really didn't care too much about the upper I used.  KAC doesn't use anything fancy other than a normal mil-spec upper, so I figured AERO would do the job just fine.  Not worth the premium especially when I'm not using a KAC "factory" rail.  The guts make up for it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Marksman14

I was so jealous when you scored that barrel and E3 BCG for a steal! I was just a second too late!

Tell me about it. Hell of a deal!

And having too many KAC's isn't a problem in my book, but like you said, it would be nice if they weren't all 16" guns. Props on it, though, man. She sure is putty.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top