BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/2/2023 12:55:09 AM EDT
Hello gents, and ladies, or whatever you identify as.
I'm a "new member" here, but not really, I just never wandered in here. I've been an AR guy for a long time, and you might notice that until recently I had a rifle for sale. It's not anymore, this isn't a ploy of some kind. Please don't message me about this.
Years ago I worked nights and weekends at a gun shop. They got some Mark 11 Mod 0 rifles in. I couldn't swing it. The company did offer AR-15s at the time, for a premium, but not outlandish. The cardboard box was unremarkable, so was the magazine. The rifle was exceptional, I think it still is.
I carried it while I worked overtime for the shop during the east coast blackout. I've shot it like you'd drive a Ferrari, if you can only buy one Ferrari. But I've also owned JP Enterprise and other goodies.
Why bother putting it up? I figured if someone wanted the rifle I'd look at the market and offer a fair price. Why? Well, I'm going to SBR it. Which means altering the original state. This is the kind of thing that M1 Carbine and other collectors frown upon. God forbid you alter a Russian SKS now.
I started in ARs when the internet was just ramping up really, I've owned some purple things. Plenty of Colts, only the DOE and another SBR are left. The quality and availability of ARs now is fantastic. It warms me heart.
When I thought that I'd SBR the old girl, I thought, best give someone a crack at the rifle before I "ruin" it. I did a casual search for price and set the mark without thinking too much about it. I can't say I've paid any mind to KAC in the intervening years, but I've since done some digging on why people only seemed interested in the lower.

I also just learned that new people can only post 2000 characters.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 12:55:54 AM EDT
[#1]
When I bought mine, 20 years ago, it was expensive. For years, of course Knights was expensive, because of the innovation and quality. Of course. Then I learn about design innovation, and the cessation of commercial sales... so of course prices go nuts. But nobody really wants an old ban-era rifle that also is dumb and regular. But that lower, it does say "Knights" on it.
Weird, guys. It's like the Python boys buying '67 grips to "correct" their gun.
You don't want the upper because it's not the latest tech. Fair enough... I also get not buying dumb ban-era things from a guy with a low post count.
It's been an interesting update to my AR brain. Now I have to decide between having the barrel cut down, or just buying a ~2k Knights upper off gunborker once the form 1 comes back.
I think it's reasonable to say that you can buy a pinnacle AR from more than one place today. I think it's reasonable for a maker to hold quality and military contracts above the consumer, the only brand too big to have an excuse is HK? They relaxed a bit with the SP5s... but I'm not sure that make it.
Tell me all the Knights news, I'm just interested to know what the state of the game is.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 1:02:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tell me all the Knights news, I'm just interested to know what the state of the game is.
View Quote
They hate us (civilians) more than H&K ever did.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 1:12:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Umm... Welcome or something. Where exactly were you going with your post?  It had a lot of info, but just kind of randomly ended. Not knowing what you were exactly getting at, I'll just throw something out there. You can absolutely SBR  something and then change it back later. Yes, the engraving will reduce resale value, but rule #1 of having guns is dont sell your guns. If you pull the barrel and stick a shorter one on you can still go back. Few reasons not to. I have a 16, a couple of 14.5s and a couple of 11.5s. If it's anything inside a couple of hundred yards I grab my 11.5. It really is that much better. With the suppressor it's pretty much the length of my 16, but worth it. Without the can there is no comparison. I wouldn't want shorter, but I also wouldn't want much longer. 14.5 feels huge and heavy once you get used to an SBR.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 1:12:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I get the sentiment, other makers I've known in the past are closed off now.. Smith Enterprise for example. Do they hate people like HK? I'm not sure. I think that there are some dedicated machinists and gunsmiths out there who are not businessmen, and unwilling to compromise. HK had a world war to establish a production pipeline... Being talented at building guns in a small machine shop and going all the way to selling guns to the military is something all by itself.

I'm not making excuses, this isn't a paid sponsorship.

For convenience, here's the relic:

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 1:17:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I get the sentiment, other makers I've known in the past are closed off now.. Smith Enterprise for example. Do they hate people like HK? I'm not sure. I think that there are some dedicated machinists and gunsmiths out there who are not businessmen, and unwilling to compromise. HK had a world war to establish a production pipeline... Being talented at building guns in a small machine shop and going all the way to selling guns to the military is something all by itself.

I'm not making excuses, this isn't a paid sponsorship.

For convenience, here's the relic:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52885282915_d063dc97aa_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52884331057_91c78ab245_b.jpg
View Quote

Is that a folding full length A2 stock?
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 1:18:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Umm... Welcome or something. Where exactly were you going with your post?  It had a lot of info, but just kind of randomly ended. Not knowing what you were exactly getting at, I'll just throw something out there. You can absolutely SBR  something and then change it back later. Yes, the engraving will reduce resale value, but rule #1 of having guns is dont sell your guns. If you pull the barrel and stick a shorter one on you can still go back. Few reasons not to. I have a 16, a couple of 14.5s and a couple of 11.5s. If it's anything inside a couple of hundred yards I grab my 11.5. It really is that much better. With the suppressor it's pretty much the length of my 16, but worth it. Without the can there is no comparison. I wouldn't want shorter, but I also wouldn't want much longer. 14.5 feels huge and heavy once you get used to an SBR.
View Quote

Hey thanks there, Chief. The system limits new posters to 2000 characters so I had to break it up. I'm not looking for advice. I'm just talking about KAC and the weirdness surrounding the prices their products fetch, but not exactly the one I put up. Don't worry if it doesn't make sense, that's not why I'm here.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 1:22:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Is that a folding full length A2 stock?
View Quote

Hi, No. That is an extension that swivels, just a 1" spacer with a QD, from KMC. The stock is fixed. Folding stock stuff wasn't happening circa 2002-3.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 1:31:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hi, No. That is an extension that swivels, just a 1" spacer with a QD, from KMC. The stock is fixed. Folding stock stuff wasn't happening circa 2002-3.
View Quote

I've got one of those knights spacers, I love it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 1:34:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I should have pointed out that I own and appreciate both H&K and Knights products.  It's just that H&K has had stellar customer service now for at least the last 15-20 years and has more recently made serious strides towards giving the civilian consumer products that we want.  Knights, on the other hand, has gotten more restrictive towards civilians, and my recent customer service experience to fix my loose QDC suppressor locking collar ring was somewhat poor, if I'm being completely honest.

Just wish they could get their shit together as a company.  I mean what agencies are actually out there buying so much volume from Knights that Knights can no longer keep up with civilian production?  I'm not aware of any huge US Government or other national military contracts like Colt or FN always seem to procure, but maybe I missed some big news along the way.  Just seems a little suspect to me that the US civilian population is what drove their reputation for all these years to become legendary status, and then they just abandon that same customer base who is willing to pay a lot more per firearm than a cheap ass police agency is.  Something fishy is going on over there, IMHO.  Could be production issues, financial troubles, or maybe they got caught throwing secret transgender drag shows in the break room and Ron DeSantis has been making their life hell.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 2:11:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hey thanks there, Chief. The system limits new posters to 2000 characters so I had to break it up. I'm not looking for advice. I'm just talking about KAC and the weirdness surrounding the prices their products fetch, but not exactly the one I put up. Don't worry if it doesn't make sense, that's not why I'm here.
View Quote

No problem. I dont get the whole KAC thing. I have no doubt they make good stuff, but id rather just make my own. For less money I can pick every piece and I know who put it together. My self built stuff, no matter how great it might be, will never have the resale value of one of theirs though. Similar to colt. I can have a $200 trigger, $300 barrel and all of the parts that go along with it, but a $800 colt would still have a higher resale value. Apparently it's just the way of things Fortunately I don't sell my guns
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 2:30:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You do?
So that makes two of us? I ordered it because I worked at a shop.... and not before or since have I ever seen one.
Quoted:
I should have pointed out that I own and appreciate both H&K and Knights products.  It's just that H&K has had stellar customer service

I'm not here to defend Knights or HK or anyone else, but I'm open to being bought to do so... Hey Bud Light you listenin?
I have one sample of a high quality AR, for HK I've had more... I get the frustration that people throw. I can only speculate, but I do feel like if I give some guy named Knight the benefit of doubt he's committed to quality and serving the military above all else, and given some decades or a world war or both the commercial production will meet demand. Not everyone is JMB, and whether or not he knew how to both design firearms AND run a business is lost to time.
I can tell you that when I bought the rifle, nobody wanted one. The people who were buying the Mark 11 Mod 0's and SR-25s were well heeled collectors off the bat. ARs are cheap now, they were cheap then too, but the AR Knights offered then was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond what you could get and certainly when you could pull one off the shelf and compare it was obvious. Ban times were dumb, spendy ARs were ignored because they didn't have pre-ban features... The ban only created a "gray market" of inflated value for certain features. It exists today in MA, and other states with similar laws.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 2:32:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll not take the piss at what anyone is offering for sale here or anywhere else, but I was surprised at prices, and when you look at details what is actually a KAC product. Capitalism means that scarcity and demand determine the price that the market bares... If I didn't own one, I don't need one. $2000 should get the job done for a complete AR, shouldn't it?
Quoted:
No problem. I dont get the whole KAC thing. I don't sell my guns
View Quote

I mean... I don't get the whole KAC thing either. I do.. because I own one... but I could buy a machinegun for some of these prices. It's not the Shroud of Turin, why treat KAC like it has magic powers? A factory gun will always be more than a parts gun, and a parts gun will seldom be worth the sum of its parts, thats something I've seen held true. As far as not selling guns, well.. good for you. If I'd never sold guns, I'd have a few more choice cuts, but a bigger pile of turds. Nobody ever knows the guns you've sold, only the ones you tell everyone else you have. My safe has had a revolving door for years. At least I've only had one wife, so far.

Sorry if this is confusing, I keep bumping on the 2000 character limit.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:31:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what are you here for?
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:35:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Only mostly confusing . My point is that for say $1500 (minus optic) I can build a great AR with a good barrel and trigger. It would be every bit as good as anything off the shelf and better than most. That same gun would be worth much less than half a used knights. It's wrong, but it's fact. My favorite AR probably has about enough money into it to have bought a knights. Would I trade you? 100% no. Would anyone else chose mine over yours? Probably not. I mean, if they were a "gun dude" and actually looked at at the individual pieces, one might. Everyone else would go "knights? Fuck yes!" Just how it is. Knights loving people are basically colt obsessed people, but with more disposable income.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:36:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

what are you here for?
View Quote

Nobody knows. I tried asking. Still no clue
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:38:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what are you here for?

Clearly hes a firearms enthusiast..,  that can buy machine guns for two thousand dollars.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:39:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those Fixed Stock extensions are rare, DPMS made a ripoff copy of it and even those are hard to find anymore.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:50:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Clearly hes a firearms enthusiast..,  that can buy machine guns for two thousand dollars.
View Quote

That would be a hell of a deal at only like $48k less than the going rate. Maybe he could hook us up with his connection.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 4:51:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Ambien Thread?

Not sure if Humble brag because of owning a Knights or If really wanting to know if should SBR it or what?

Its yours...  If you want to SBR it, Do it.  
I don't worry about what mods do to my resale values as long as the mod makes me enjoy shooting it more or shoot it better.
I rarely ever sell or part with gun, unless to fund another. I don't much care what others think about my guns. They arebuilt buy me for me.

If you bought it, as a profit vehicle than I'd not change anything or shoot it much.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Because they were extremely difficult to sell. People learned that they wanted a shorter buttstock, not a longer one. Especially not an inch+ longer than A2, just to install a sling at a less useful location.
The OP has also found that the upper is a hard sale, as the neutered bayonet lug, semiauto bolt carrier, and faux flash suppressor are a kick in the balls to those who remember restrictive times- and those hold no advantage now.

Welcome to the site, fellow firearm enthusiast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those Fixed Stock extensions are rare, DPMS made a ripoff copy of it and even those are hard to find anymore.

Because they were extremely difficult to sell. People learned that they wanted a shorter buttstock, not a longer one. Especially not an inch+ longer than A2, just to install a sling at a less useful location.
The OP has also found that the upper is a hard sale, as the neutered bayonet lug, semiauto bolt carrier, and faux flash suppressor are a kick in the balls to those who remember restrictive times- and those hold no advantage now.

Welcome to the site, fellow firearm enthusiast.

They really only make sense on A1 length stocks, seriously how many people are tall enough to put an extension on an A2? I'm 6' 3" tall and think A2 stocks are pretty impractical for anything other than bench shooting and clones.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I combined mine with a RR "Entry" buttstock which is shorter, bringing the overall length to maybe the same.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Only mostly confusing . My point is that for say $1500 (minus optic) I can build a great AR with a good barrel and trigger. It would be every bit as good as anything off the shelf and better than most. That same gun would be worth much less than half a used knights. It's wrong, but it's fact. My favorite AR probably has about enough money into it to have bought a knights. Would I trade you? 100% no. Would anyone else chose mine over yours? Probably not. I mean, if they were a "gun dude" and actually looked at at the individual pieces, one might. Everyone else would go "knights? Fuck yes!" Just how it is. Knights loving people are basically colt obsessed people, but with more disposable income.
View Quote

KAC makes great stuff. It’s expensive. It’s proprietary. It’s a niche manufacturer for a niche market segment.

Their 5.56 guns don’t really do anything above and beyond any other tier-1 manufacturer in the same sense that a G-wagon doesn’t really do anything better than a 4-runner TRD Pro. There is a pride of ownership.

KAC large frame guns are in a category of their own in my experience and opinion.

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Welcome to the forum, Arc. I’m a fellow Sigforum member, recognize your handle.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:30:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ambien Thread?

Not sure if Humble brag because of owning a Knights or If really wanting to know if should SBR it or what?

Its yours...  If you want to SBR it, Do it.  
I don't worry about what mods do to my resale values as long as the mod makes me enjoy shooting it more or shoot it better.
I rarely ever sell or part with gun, unless to fund another. I don't much care what others think about my guns. They arebuilt buy me for me.

If you bought it, as a profit vehicle than I'd not change anything or shoot it much.
View Quote

Hi, no, not a humble brag. I just thought if someone was interested in an old school rifle before I altered it, I'd give them the chance. Buying guns as a profit vehicle is a fools errand, generally. You might get lucky... or you're the guy buying things that already have value. All the knights stuff, and the interest people showed in the lower only was news to me. The prices blew me away, and the reasons who want what make sense. Knights has a market just waiting for product fresh from the oven.. a nice place to be for any company.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I give OP a break, and welcome to the forum. I think he’s chewing the fat about his rifle, and what to do with it.

This reminds me of my first AR purchase in 1998 or 1999, a ban-era Bushmaster with the A2 stock, 16-inch heavy barrel without muzzle device, no bayonet lug, semi-auto weight bolt carrier, etc. That was during the “ABC” era, before there were so many other companies, in case you don’t know. One of the sales people referred to it as “He’s getting the M-4.” It shoots great, by the way.

Another customer pointed to a KAC Stoner rifle up on the wall, and suggested that that was the one I should be buying instead. It was priced between $1,400 and $1,500, IIRC. I would have given it serious thought, but the price of the Bushmaster was all I could cough up at the time.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#28]
That's all I'm doing, chewing the fat about a rifle. What I'm trying to say is all busted up cuz of this weird low-post-count-character-limit... Had I not worked at a gun shop I probably would not have bought one of these rifles two decades ago. Snark at the new guy, get the paddle, I get it. You guys can't hurt me. Nobody knows who anybody is, nobody cares. Maybe I stick around, maybe I disappear. Machineguns aren't as expensive as you think, and I didn't mean $2k. Meanwhile, poke around and you will find Knights products being offered for a similar price to a beat Thompson or auto sear. The internet is full of crazy prices, shop local and I bet you find a Mac for under $10k. Then you have to buy the suppressor, and we all know the real cost of automatic weapons is the ammo.

We've all seen the mountain of SKS's and other rifles irrevocably altered by "bubbaing," I was really looking to see if anybody wanted the olde, ban era rifle I have if it had any interest to collectors. I'm fine if the guys who are hard for Knights aren't following in the footsteps of Colt, SKS, Carbine... pick a weapon.. collectors. They want the new hotness. Got it, that's why people really want the lower, because they can lego up a whole rifle that says Knights. Trouble with that, it wouldn't be "correct." I'm pretty sure the markings on mine are laser engraved. Hell maybe they are screen printed, or C. Reed licked a quill and scribed it.. But the later lowers for these later innovations aren't like mine. AR's being what they are, it's not quite the same sin to swap some parts, as long as you keep the originals. Even having this engraved is no big, they can do it on the inside lip of the mag well.

Can we all agree KAC makes a high quality product? I think so. A capitalist market is a strange, fickle, and often spendy thing when something becomes scarce. At least one of us learned nobody collects "vintage" SR-15s.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Headed to the engraver soon, taking it apart. Today I learned they put this rifle together frickin' minutes before it shipped to me. Also, I may let a gunsmith pull the buffer tube.... of all the AR's I've taken apart, this one is on there.. and I have appropriate tools.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#30]

I've ordered the parts suggested earlier in the thread, and the PITA about SBR's is really the fingerprint cards. Do one SBR, rinse repeat.

KMC/KAC is absolutely apart from other brands. Nobody knows if and when they'll have the will or supply to satisfy commercial sales. It's been an education for me, what is desirable on the market. It's not a troll or humble brag. The bottom line is that the lower with the words on it is valuable, not the rifle. I learned that, the market knew it.

"Why am I here," humble brag and all that shit... You boys go ahead and take your piss. I bought a Stoner 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I bought a Stoner 20 years ago.
View Quote

63 or 63A?
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#33]
OK I will bite.  I will buy your old rifle at old rifle - post ban pricing.  PM me if interested.

OK BS aside, and I am surprised no one mentioned this, if you are serious about wanting to talk, there is an industry forum here for KAC and a certain number of people still go there (why its not more is another story).

You should go check it out, but I warn you that not many people care are about a 30 year old neutered rifle any more.  Now if you had a KAC factory dimpled upper, SR16E3 CQB SS upper or even better something like an SR-25 military trade in, correct Mk11 rail, KAC "lunch box" or "xmass cheer" parts etc., you will get interest.  

Welcome to the 2020s, hope you can adjust.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:52:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I think he’s still talking about his ban-era neutered AR.
View Quote

I know, that was tongue-in-cheek.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 2:17:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OK I will bite.  I will buy your old rifle at old rifle - post ban pricing.  PM me if interested.

OK BS aside, and I am surprised no one mentioned this, if you are serious about wanting to talk, there is an industry forum here for KAC and a certain number of people still go there (why its not more is another story).

You should go check it out, but I warn you that not many people care are about a 30 year old neutered rifle any more.  Now if you had a KAC factory dimpled upper, SR16E3 CQB SS upper or even better something like an SR-25 military trade in, correct Mk11 rail, KAC "lunch box" or "xmass cheer" parts etc., you will get interest.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I described earlier how I learned nobody cared about these. That's fine. What we all should learn is that Knights, while excellent, are retarded in price. But I'm not The Market. I don't need to PM anybody, they all already offered to buy the lower only.

Quoted:
I know, that was tongue-in-cheek.

People don't know what to make of a low-post-count guy with an SR-15 for sale. This was never really a friendly place, and people gonna make their bones shitting on the new guy... it's still the internet.

Joshnc, Funnelcake, others who have some chill.. Thanks guys. Everybody here has allowed me to SBR my rifle with a clear conscience. I was never trying to flex, humble brag, pump an ad or any of that shit. If I had something valuable to collectors as a complete rifle well... we all know I don't. That's all.

Beyond that, you know I appreciate KAC, if I could have swung a Mark 11 Mod 0 when I worked at the gun shop.. I doubt I'd be looking to sell, but who can see some 20 years into the future.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Joshnc, Funnelcake, others who have some chill.. Thanks guys.
View Quote

All good, man. I recognize you from Sigforum.

You have great taste in firearms and are very knowledgeable. I think some were just put off by the initial post, because they didn’t know what to make of it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:27:55 AM EDT
[#37]
If you are going to sbr it, can always engrave the new barrel and not the more valuable Knights lower.  May not be practical if you are looking to swap uppers frequently.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you are going to sbr it, can always engrave the new barrel and not the more valuable Knights lower.  May not be practical if you are looking to swap uppers frequently.
View Quote

It is no longer legal to engrave the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 11:51:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Correct

I had mine engraved in the trigger “housing” part of the receiver. Right in front of the trigger.

Completely out of the way.

OP send that post ban barrel off to ADCO and have them cut to 10.3 and open the gas port to .70

You’re welcome
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I've done 3 other SBR'ed ARs, I have an engraver nearby who does it on the inside edge of the mag well. Lasers, man. You don't see it at all unless you hunt for it. It's a keeper at this point, I'll put the original parts in a box, the barrel etc. Rebarrel the upper. The barrel is unmarked, so no one will know what it is unless they know..
This'll be my last SBR.. probably.. It's kinda a PITA. Maybe all this Supreme Court shit will mean no more AWB here and no more SBR's in the NFA? Who knows.
It will be nice to free this rifle from MA's dumb laws.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Facepalm….bad advice on my part then.  Apologies
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#42]
This has never been a "friendly place", but it is a wealth of knowledge. Stick around. I probably missed it and I'm too lazy to try any harder to find it (although I did look... poorly) what length are you going with and who's barrel? Hell, all of it. What are your plans for the final design?
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#43]
There are a number of companies that would rather only do business with the military and police, but grudgingly do sell to non-military and non-police (I believe police are civilians as they are NOT military) consumers.  Knights, HK, and FN are among them.  Their customer service to anyone outside of their preferred customers (military and police) shows obvious disdain for that segment of customers.

While all three of the companies I mentioned make quality products, the consumer has to decide if they want to deal with high prices, and poor customer service.  In the end, capitalism and the free market will decide whether those companies will maintain sales to non-preferred customers.    High prices and poor customer service will keep some customers away, but of course everyone is free to decide where they want to spend their money.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What are your plans for the final design?
View Quote

Going to go one step forward and one step back, keeping the FSB with Funnelcakes suggested parts. M4 stock, keeping that original rear flip sight. I have the Comp M2 that has always been on it, that'll stay put. More of an old school "patrol carbine," than an M4, because I'm not gonna SBR something just so it can be 14.5....
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#45]
I like the idea. What barrel and length though? 10.3?
Never mind. I went back and looked - 11.5. I absolutely endorse this. 11.5 is my favorite length
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#46]
KAC still makes (arguably) the best ARs.  KAC still has the highest prices.  KAC is still over-rated (best but there is a nauesating fandom following).

I own Colt, HK, LMT, and KAC.

Would I buy KAC at today's prices?  Nope.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:06:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
KAC still makes (arguably) the best ARs.  KAC still has the highest prices.  KAC is still over-rated (best but there is a nauesating fandom following).

I own Colt, HK, LMT, and KAC.

Would I buy KAC at today's prices?  Nope.
View Quote

Considering the extremely high quality available out there, I don't think that the prices for Knights actually is in line with any difference in quality. It's a finite desirable resource, and they are sure nice. The weird part was people offering money very close to what I wanted for the complete rifle, but not just buying the complete rifle.... I don't want the weird ban era barrel either, just take the whole thing... Well that ship sailed. I aimed to make sure I wasn't busting up a desirable collectable and got the answer.

Mr. Knight used to mow Mr. Stoners lawn, and the rest is history? I dunno. Did I mention I had a Knights can paired with a USP Tactical but sold it to move back to MA? Knights can make a can. I've seen a Mk23 suppressor shot down a rental range repeatedly by dummies, without dumping baffles or anything. Excellent cans.

The future of ARs is bright, and one would hope Knights one day sells to civilians and is part of it. I don't think they have the same attitude HK does, but are small and focused. Until then they'll remain a gold loot drop, with dubious magical properties.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:42:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:26:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

... --- .-. .-. -.-- / .. / -.. --- -. .----. - / ... .--. . .- -.- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm a big fan of LMT manufacturing-era Knights products like yours, OP. Good call on keeping it, and the search for just such a lower continues for me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top