Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/11/2019 7:10:08 AM EDT
So I'm looking into getting the kac scene but I'm new to it. I've done some research on the differnece between the mod 1s and mod 2s. I have a few questions though

First, what value should I be looking at? I'm debating between 2 currently. A mod , excellent Conditon with around 500 rounds through it, that has the qd cup lower with mams & Giselle trigger and a brand new mod 2 with mams, Giselle trigger, axts safeties & raptor charging handle?

Second, what's everyone's preference mod 1 or mod 2?

Last, any other differences other then the handguards and different gas system?
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Mod 1 is a very solid choice, will perform well in all aspects.

Mod 2 add some improvements to the operating system, and has what some consider a more ergonomic rail platform.

A low round count Mod 1 May be close in price to a new Mod 2.

Edit: eventually you’ll have both, just the way it is.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#2]
@WhiskersTheCat

Someone here is in need of your assistance.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#3]
@themissinglink

Thank you for the input. It's about $150 dollar less for the mod 1 plus he is including a $200 larue rifle soft case. Would you go with the low round count mod 1 or the new in box mod 2?
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@themissinglink

Thank you for the input. It's about $150 dollar less for the mod 1 plus he is including a $200 larue rifle soft case. Would you go with the low round count mod 1 or the new in box mod 2?
View Quote
I would go Mod 1.. but I like the looks of the mod 1 and QD cup losers are more desirable
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd go for the new rifle but idc about cases.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd go for the new rifle but idc about cases.
View Quote
Yea I dont care about cases either I'd prolly flip it for 100 bucks or so as I have plenty of cases so I think of it as being like a $250 savings
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@themissinglink

View Quote
@bigd81285

Mod 1, and get a Mod 2 Upper later.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@bigd81285

View Quote
Thank you sir
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@bigd81285

View Quote
What he said.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a complete Mod 2 upper on the EE brand new for under $1400. Then bought the complete IWS lower for $800.

It’s my favorite carbine by far. Added a Sandcutter BC.

No need for Geissele parts IMO. The KAC trigger is great.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#11]
This question pops up periodically and has garnered some passionate debate in the past. The Mod 1 is a very capable rifle and will answer the mail in terms of being a reliable go-to carbine. The Mod 2 is an improvement over an already proven design, but is arguably more ergonomic with improvements to the gas system, while the Mod 1 is more aesthetically pleasing, retaining a very classic KAC look. Having own(ed) several Mod 1 carbines (16, 14.5, 11.5, and SR30 Mod 1 if you count that), if buying today I'd opt for the Mod 2 for the improvements and ergonomics.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So I'm looking into getting the kac scene but I'm new to it. I've done some research on the differnece between the mod 1s and mod 2s. I have a few questions though

First, what value should I be looking at? I'm debating between 2 currently. A mod , excellent Conditon with around 500 rounds through it, that has the qd cup lower with mams & Giselle trigger and a brand new mod 2 with mams, Giselle trigger, axts safeties & raptor charging handle?

Second, what's everyone's preference mod 1 or mod 2?

Last, any other differences other then the handguards and different gas system?
View Quote
I would go with the Mod 1 with QD lower. Easy choice.

Having owned two Mod 2s, I will say from my experience Mod 1 is the way to go. The difference in the Mod 2 gas system is over-hyped. I noticed zero difference compared to the Mod 1 in terms of recoil, accuracy or any of that.

Rail between URX 3.1 vs URX 4, only you can decide. But for me the URX 3.1 is more comfortable when in use, has better mounting options and looks better. If you are big into keymod or MLOK, then I could see going with a URX 4.

In the end I sold my Mod 2s and only own Mod 1s. Mod 1 does everything the Mod 2 can do.

The other thing to consider, Mod 1s are no longer made. Mod 2s are. You can always buy a Mod 2 in the future, but finding a nice QD lower Mod 1 rifle might be harder. If I was in your position I would get the Mod 1 today.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#13]
For your first, I would go with a Mod2 for the reasons mentioned already. Mod1 is a great rifle though.

So instead of rewriting what others said, I'm basically here to cast a vote.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#14]
but can you "go to war" with it? thats the question  
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Personally I would go with the mod1 with the qd cup lower because the value is never going to go down.They dont make the mod1 or the qd cup lower anymore and they are getting harder and harder to find.Outside of the updated gas system attachment and the rail they are the same rifle.I have both mod1 and mod2 and personally I think the mod1 is the better buy at this point.You can always snag a mod 2 upper new or from the EE later on.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#16]
SR15E3 IWS with 3t brake is still master race, check the EE.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No need for Geissele parts IMO. The KAC trigger is great.
View Quote
That’s what I was thinking.
It seems a downgrade to stray from stock configuration on either Mod.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Mod 1 is a very solid choice, will perform well in all aspects.

Mod 2 add some improvements to the operating system, and has what some consider a more ergonomic rail platform.

A low round count Mod 1 May be close in price to a new Mod 2.

Edit: eventually you’ll have both, just the way it is.
View Quote
^^ hesrightyouknow.gif

Within the past few months I purchased an 11.5 SR-16 (essentially a Mod1) then just last week I got a 14.5 SR-15 Mod2.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Mod 2 for shooting / up to date version

Mod 1 is still popular due to looks and collectability mostly (that's not to say it's not a great shooter as well though, obviously.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 4:10:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This question pops up periodically and has garnered some passionate debate in the past. The Mod 1 is a very capable rifle and will answer the mail in terms of being a reliable go-to carbine. The Mod 2 is an improvement over an already proven design, but is arguably more ergonomic with improvements to the gas system, while the Mod 1 is more aesthetically pleasing, retaining a very classic KAC look. Having own(ed) several Mod 1 carbines (16, 14.5, 11.5, and SR30 Mod 1 if you count that), if buying today I'd opt for the Mod 2 for the improvements and ergonomics.
View Quote
I

This. Kac didn't make a new mod for the hell of it. It's an upgrade.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Make sure to go in all the random gun stores when traveling around, you may come across a deal!
I just came across a new Mod 2 14.5" SBR marked down to $1599 while in Florida for work.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Make sure to go in all the random gun stores when traveling around, you may come across a deal!
I just came across a new Mod 2 14.5" SBR marked down to $1599 while in Florida for work.
View Quote
Wow very nice.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top