Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2018 8:25:04 PM EDT
I've got a Palmetto 10.5" upper with FSB, trying to install a new Knight's RAS onto it. No Go. The front top leaf spring clip will not fit under the cap, due to the profile of the barrel. PSA's barrel is still 'thick' 1/2" after the FSB, so the top rial will not fit down around the gas tube, and under the cap.

Is filing off the underside of the RAS front 'nub' my only option?

Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Ditch the PSA barrel. Save the Knight's RAS for something that will fit it, don't hack the RAS....
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ditch the PSA barrel. Save the Knight's RAS for something that will fit it, don't hack the RAS....
View Quote
...better option- I removed the roll pin and took out the leaf spring assembly. Fits snug. No dremelling this time.

EDIT. I take it back...bottom doesn't fit either.

Looks like you're right.

edit again- bottom is on
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In for pics....
View Quote
" />
view from the bottom, with top rail attached.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#5]
" />
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:47:55 AM EDT
[#7]
The RAS front spring clip can be very tight. Worst-case you might need to file a tiny amount off to get it to fit, but you shouldn't need to remove it. Barrel profile won't matter; a RAS can fit a medium and heavy profile barrel without issue.

BTW... is that an airsoft CQD mount I see there?
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:16:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The RAS front spring clip can be very tight. Worst-case you might need to file a tiny amount off to get it to fit, but you shouldn't need to remove it. Barrel profile won't matter; a RAS can fit a medium and heavy profile barrel without issue.

View Quote
I'd have to file quite a bit off...it's nowhere near fitting down far enough.

...and probably, I paid $5 for it used!
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:55:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@krdt
How can you tell? ^^^^
View Quote
I think -now that I look at it closer- the ends are 'squared' off, and not rounded-?
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think -now that I look at it closer- the ends are 'squared' off, and not rounded-?
View Quote
Yes it's fake.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
@krdt
How can you tell? ^^^^
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@krdt
How can you tell? ^^^^
Mainly that the edges are really sharp and not gently rounded. Also the logo and overall dimensions don't look quite right, and there appears to be some rough machining/chatter marks on the hook attachment point as well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you try to shove the tongue directly under the cap, it might take a lot of force or seem like it won't fit at all. The best way I've found is to push the spring clip notch over the gas tube a little ways back from the end cap. Then with the RAS at about a 35 degree angle, slip it forward on the gas tube and get an edge under the cap. Once you have that edge under the cap, you can use it as leverage to work the rest of it under. The fit on a new RAS will be very tight, but it also results in a solid rail without rattles or movement. While it'll obviously work without the spring clip, I'd leave it installed; it's there for a reason and results in a more solid lock up.

I highly doubt the barrel itself is causing any problems as you can use a RAS with a heavy/SOCOM profile barrel. Just have to ask - you sure the RAS is authentic?
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 1:29:35 AM EDT
[#15]
You should have no problem getting the RAS on that upper with the spring clip installed.  I had an RAS on my PSA 10.5" upper for years, un-installing and re-installing it multiple times without issue.

Sounds like you were doing something wrong.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you try to shove the tongue directly under the cap, it might take a lot of force or seem like it won't fit at all. The best way I've found is to push the spring clip notch over the gas tube a little ways back from the end cap. Then with the RAS at about a 35 degree angle, slip it forward on the gas tube and get an edge under the cap. Once you have that edge under the cap, you can use it as leverage to work the rest of it under. The fit on a new RAS will be very tight, but it also results in a solid rail without rattles or movement. While it'll obviously work without the spring clip, I'd leave it installed; it's there for a reason and results in a more solid lock up.

I highly doubt the barrel itself is causing any problems as you can use a RAS with a heavy/SOCOM profile barrel. Just have to ask - you sure the RAS is authentic?
View Quote
yeah- no doubt on that, I got it from a local vendor.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I put an M4 RAS onto a Colt 11.5 HRT barrel. It was snug going on (which I prefer), but it all fit without issue. The HRT barrel has a heavy profile.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok, thanks for the help...I'll try again tonight. I'll measure that barrel profile, too...and shop for a real sling mount!
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I had to use a BFH to get my M5 RAS installed on my M16A4 clone. That sucker is never coming back off
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There's an EE ad currently for a PSA 10.5" upper with RAS M4, same fitment issue.
View Quote
...saw that. Same barrel.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#23]
....and here we go. The Harbor Freight digital calipers don't lie (they may fudge a little...) I think that's a wee bit larger than a 'heavy barrel' is, right? However, even without the leaf up front, it locks up tight. I may modify the leaf bushing, or even take the barrel down at some point, not sure.

" />

Real-deal CQB mounts now, via DSG Arms:

" />
" />

The hacksaw is coming out to mod the carry handle into a rear sight.
" />
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top