Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2018 9:51:58 PM EDT
Hello, I am thinking of getting a more budget AR and installing a Geiselle free float rail on it. The AR would have the D Ring, handguard, and fixed front sight. Would I need to buy anything else other than the rail or do I need to buy a new gas block?

I assume if your rifle is already free floated you would just need the new rail?

(I will probably not do this myself, I live close to a gunsmith)
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:04:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I got a full length handguard, had to do low profile gas block, and front sight. You can get a short hand guard, and keep the A2 front sight. It's not as cool though
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:14:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:30:25 AM EDT
[#3]
depend on the length of the rail, if you get one that is short enough to put behind the gas block, you won't need anything more, but if you full length you need a Lo Pro gas block, or shave the FSB. There are a few companies that use the standard barrel nut like Samson.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 6:51:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#5]
This Midwest offering might work for you.

Midwest Industries Gen 2 Free Float

I know Lothaen had a link to the MI solution in one of his blogs. I just could not find it this morning.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:44:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the information! Assuming that I get the rail and low profile gas block installed correctly, are there any gas issues? I know some rifles are "overgassed" but I assume people do this conversion all the time without having issues.

In other words, can I use any gas block so long as it's the correct diameter?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#8]
After having gone through what you are doing, its better to just build a new upper, rather than convert yours to a free float. especially if its some generic upper, DPMS, PSA, M&P etc.

Stripped upper, barrel, rail/barrel nut, gas block and tube, muzzle device. Plus then you'll have two uppers.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hello, I am thinking of getting a more budget AR and installing a Geiselle free float rail on it. The AR would have the D Ring, handguard, and fixed front sight. Would I need to buy anything else other than the rail or do I need to buy a new gas block?

I assume if your rifle is already free floated you would just need the new rail?

(I will probably not do this myself, I live close to a gunsmith)
View Quote
Consider the Midwest Industries rail...it's the lightest aluminum free float rail on the market, solid as a rock, has convenient QD points in just the right places, M-lok...and the best part, you can install it in 30 seconds with nothing but an allen wrench.  It uses a new design for the barrel nut which goes underneath the gas tube, which makes it very easy to install and IMO is a much superior overall design.  I use it on all my builds...I've bought 5 of them!  In fact I got a little crazy and have one extra that I'm selling, if you're interested:
Removed.  Sell in the EE only. - Old_Painless
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:17:31 AM EDT
[#10]
You may, or may not be able to get a low profile gas block installed on a barrel with a fixed front sight as fixed front sights are generally pinned on. The Geissele rails do use a proprietary barrel nut as well. If I were you I'd seriously consider building a new upper or maybe a more budget minded upper that doesn't have a fixed front sight.

Which AR(s) are you looking at?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#11]
If you want free float rails why keep a fixed front sight?

Do you specifically want the free float for something other than appearance?

You can get mlok drop in rails that wont require a new nut or gas block

https://www.primaryarms.com/MTU001SSM

If you are really on a budget you can get cheaper versions off ebay.  I have the nc star quad rail drop in's I think it was around $30
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top