Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/14/2018 12:20:37 AM EDT
Hey All,

I just bought a Vortex Spitfire 3X Prism Scope and it's great!  Was wondering if I should also install BUIS?  I am not sure I need them since the scope has an etched reticle, so if the battery dies, I should still be in good shape.  Whatcha all think?
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 12:30:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one and put 45 degree offset iron sights on, which might prove helpful for 25 yds and under, even if the Vortex is working just fine. The 3X optic excels in the 50-250 yd range, which is not exactly a home defense range.

Aside from the above, you won't be able to use cowitness backup sights as the magnified optic prevents this (unless you have a quick disconnect to take it off). You need a 1X optic to cowitness.

Also, you have to put the rear iron sight in front of the Vortex as the Vortex (and most prismatic scopes) has such a short eye relief (like 2.5 inches). You need to place the Vortex at the very rear of the picatinny rail.

Another thing you might consider is a laser to aid in CQB, using it judiciously (not giving away your position if relevant).  I have one that's integral to my light.

One last thought, you can keep the front cap closed, turn on the reticle illumination, shoot with both eyes open, and it will work like a red dot to some degree, especially after practice. In that case, the Vortex will be of benefit under 25yds. The brain melds the reticle with vision from the non dominant eye, overlaying the reticle.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 1:33:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh boy.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 1:38:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd just go with the scope. Offset iron sights seems overkill for a 3x.

If you are going to use BUIS have them installed as normal, just make sure the rear fits under the optic. In this case you will also want a QD Mount.

In my experience, A 3x can be used with both eyes open just fine at close range, but a red dot will still be faster.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 2:10:31 AM EDT
[#4]
If this is just a range toy... There isn't any need for BUIS.

I don't look at a battery powered 3x scope as being a suitable HD option anyway. Short battery life, and not always on and ready. For HD a 1x red dot with long battery life is my recommendation.

I have BUIS on all of my primary rifles... Mostly just because. They have QD mounts for the optics... A couple red dots, a 1.5x ACOg, 1-4x and a 10x...

My HD rifle has a red dot and BUIS.

Generally for HD, even if the optic died, at HD distances, it's not a big deal to still make good hits without a precise aiming point.

So in the end, needing a BUIS is up to you, but generally not needed on a range gun. And while a good idea on a HD gun, not strictly needed either.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 12:54:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you everyone for your responses!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top