BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/16/2022 1:01:46 PM EDT
Not quite kiss, not quite modern... but cool as hell.

7.1 lbs unloaded.

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

6.2 lbs unloaded.

Not bad for a piston gun.

Nice and simple though.

ETA it's closer to 6.0 now. I pulled the cheek riser off after I realized I didn't need it after selling the DEVO.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/20210305_112030_jpg-2420186.JPG

6.2 lbs unloaded.

Not bad for a piston gun.

Nice and simple though.
View Quote

Light as the M&P was without a light and dot. Wow! Impressive.

Not quite simple but Def not modern with the keymod I'll give you a pass
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not quite simple but Def not modern with the keymod I'll give you a pass
View Quote

Yeah this model was never offered in MLOK.

I will say for sling mounts Keymod is still superior in my book.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#4]
6.2lbs or 6lbs 2oz?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

7.1 lbs unloaded.

https://thenewrifleman.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/SmithWessonMP15.png
View Quote
I like how you think.

I should have a part arriving today that I've been waiting on for awhile, so this will do for now until I update what's in the picture with some new handguard furniture

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
6.2lbs or 6lbs 2oz?
View Quote

6.2(ish). It's 6 lbs 2.5 oz.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#8]
My "just above basic" AR.  I spent  years buying fancy schmancy handguards, stocks, rails, lights, etc.  I settled on this as my go-to:  lightweight, inexpensive to set up, works for me.

Attachment Attached File

And its companion, basically an  M4 with the lightweight barrel and iron sights:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Some handsome rifles gents. I too have come full circle. My mlock free floated rifle weighs more than the M&P so I am rethinking my carbines.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's my semi-KISS truck gun.

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:16:19 PM EDT
[#11]

My just above KISS was my LMT Defender 2000 M4 carbine with 16 inch barrel shown with Magpul furniture and nothing else.

My other one is my Colt 6920 M4 carbine just above basic factory setup with just KAC M4 RAS rails, VFG, Aimpoint and weaponlight.

All my other 4 AR carbines (except my A4 rifle) have free floating handguards and my preferred furniture which mostly are the B5 Systems.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My "just above basic" AR.  I spent  years buying fancy schmancy handguards, stocks, rails, lights, etc.  I settled on this as my go-to:  lightweight, inexpensive to set up, works for me.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/271112/gotoweaponwith_end_plate_qdRESIZED_jpg-2420494.JPG

And its companion, basically an  M4 with the lightweight barrel and iron sights:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/271112/BCMDoublestar_in_M4_configleftside_jpg-2420496.JPG
View Quote

Big fan
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:03:39 AM EDT
[#13]
What counts as just above basic? I see some free float, key mod, and flip ups so far

I don't own a factory rifle, so it has a no frills mlok rail.

Short rail, fixed mag with etched reticle on a QD mount, light without tape switch, basic hand stop/index point, basic flip ups. 6 pounds 15 ounces on the nose unloaded, just under 8.5 loaded all in. Lose the light and optic its under 6 pounds.

Everything one needs, nothing one doesn't.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:18:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Recently completed my A2 clone
-DelTon A2 upper
-toolcraft BCG
-Ballistic Advantage GVT profile 20" barrel
-Retro Rifles front and rear sight posts
-Retro Rifles Oval Handguard
-Aero lower build kit
-Stag arms lower (for now)
-Leapers A2 stock and buffer system
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:24:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What counts as just above basic? I see some free float, key mod, and flip ups so far

Short rail, fixed mag with etched reticle on a QD mount, light without tape switch, basic hand stop/index point, basic flip ups. 6 pounds 15 ounces on the nose unloaded, just under 8.5 loaded all in. Lose the light and optic its under 6 pounds.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/504436/20220610_123752_jpg-2421940.JPG
View Quote

Per the OP, not quite kiss, not quite modern.

My perception is something that is not quite KISS but is KISS with a more modern way to it without any overkill.

Or think of it as this, a simple rifle with a light and a an optic that works for you and is the minimal you would go. Something you could strap on your back or have handy on the roads. Should SHTF no matter what levels of what one thinks SHTF really is to them, they still wouldn't feel outgunned or underprepared either. But definitely not Insta material.

Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:41:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My perception is something that is not quite KISS but is KISS with a more modern way to it without any overkill.

Or think of it as this, a simple rifle with a light and a an optic that works for you and is the minimal you would go. Something you could strap on your back or have handy on the roads. Should SHTF no matter what levels of what one thinks SHTF really is to them, they still wouldn't feel outgunned or underprepared either. But definitely not Insta material.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/504436/20220610_123752_jpg-2421940.JPG

That's what I was thinking when I shared mine. A lightweight fighting carbine with minimal failure points.

I need to build one with a fsb at some point.

Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:58:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That's what I was thinking when I shared mine. A lightweight fighting carbine with minimal failure points.

View Quote

I've got a PSA M4 in carbine gas, I probably should have gotten it in mid gas but I'm okay with it so far. Sits between my Noveske N4 and LMT Defender 2000. I think that one day I'd like to take a basic local class with it just because I can.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 2:02:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've got a PSA M4 in carbine gas, I probably should have gotten it in mid gas but I'm okay with it so far. Sits between my Noveske N4 and LMT Defender 2000. I think that one day I'd like to take a basic local class with it just because I can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Irons are great fun in classes. I'm debating on building a modernized A1 with a Gunner barrel for classes. Just have to find a good A1 style upper with the m4 ramps.

My other just above basic rifle, to stay on topic.
Nothing flashy, Holosun is unfortunately the only dot that works best for my eyes. PRO was too big of a starburst.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/18/2022 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Bump, but with an updated photograph. The BCM polymer Mlok was always feeling slippery no matter how it was grasped, ended up switching to an MI drop in Mlok. Much better. But the QD holes are being blocked by the Magpul Type 2 panels. I may have to switch to either railscales or BCM Mlok panels instead.

Link Posted: 6/19/2022 2:35:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

7.1 lbs unloaded.

https://thenewrifleman.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/SmithWessonMP15.png
View Quote

That's how I would describe my sbr, I thought of it as a kiss rifle before the light and dot.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 8:30:31 AM EDT
[#21]
The just beyond "basic" AR is probably my favorite genre.  While I can appreciate nice optics, and some bells and whistles, I also appreciate lighter weight and not using things I don't need for a general purpose rifle/carbine or "truck gun"...  I just finished the bottom one yesterday.

Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I submit my slightly updated OG M4:
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:57:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Probably the closest thing I have to the stated criteria.

Link Posted: 8/2/2022 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#25]
made in '79, i put aside the factory aluminum buttstock and replaced with a colt fiberlite N1 to lighten it a bit more. just above basic...

Link Posted: 8/2/2022 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 3:23:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Basic Colt LE6920 marked "M4 Carbine" made in 2012, with Knight's Armament Micro 200-600m rear BUIS, B5 Systems reproduction Colt Fiberlite CAR buttstock & Vortex red dot.

Colt carbine with Magpul SL carbine FDE handguard, M-LOK vertical foregrip, Colt detachable carry handle, Magpul MOE-K2 FDE grip and B5 enhanced SOPMOD FDE stock.

Same carbine as the top picture but with EOTech red dot on LaRue Tactical EOTech QD mount, Troy rear folding sight and B5 Bravo SOPMOD stock.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I think my A2 kinda fits. 14.5" Colt bbl w/P&W Vortex. Right now it's got a GG&G rail on the upper M4 HG with a Viking Tactics light mount (not shown). Optic TBD, but I'm thinking a PA 3X microprism. It's my melee gun.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think my A2 kinda fits. 14.5" Colt bbl w/P&W Vortex. Right now it's got a GG&G rail on the upper M4 HG with a Viking Tactics light mount (not shown). Optic TBD, but I'm thinking a PA 3X microprism. It's my melee gun.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6163/A2f_jpeg-2476179.JPG
View Quote
If you go with the 3x, ditch the rail and get their carry handle hardware kit. Should give it a bit of an old school vibe
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Fixed irons, red dot, and free float handguard. Pretty basic. And the cheapest Geissele trigger they make.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:12:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Built from take off parts from old gunsmith jobs. Added GG&G sling thing and olight Baldir
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you go with the 3x, ditch the rail and get their carry handle hardware kit. Should give it a bit of an old school vibe
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. The low 3x mount and the rail make the iron sights still usable.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So does the high cantilever if I remember right

Fits right in the handle.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 4:13:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't have a picture to share handy, but my "Just Above Basic" is ...

Colt 6920 (16" M4 with FSB)
Colt Waffle Stock, A2 Grip, M4 Handguards (I have added a flashlight attachment to the handguard)
Daniel Defense A1.5 Rear Sight
Aimpoint PRO in the QRP2 Mount

Honestly, I keep coming back to this rifle over all of the Gucci Death Squad options I have.  It does everything I expect from a 16" 5.56 carbine (and does it well).
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#37]
I really like very basic AR's. They tend to be inexpensive as AR's go, usually light weight, and for me quicker on target. I find them fun to practice with. Here are some of mine.

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that's all very nice, but it's not the setup I want to use.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

all good. Look forward to the finished setup
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#41]
I never know what anyone means when they say basic, above basic, budget, tier 1. 2. 3. 4 or any other attempt at grading these things. We all use different descriptors and they all mean something different.

Anyway a lot of nice rifles and carbines here.

This is a budget carbine build I call the horses ass. The upper is a Colt cage code assembly I picked up here on EE for $340 a few years back. I added a Toolcraft BCG I paid $60. The charging handle is Strike Industries that was a throw in in some past purchase. The lower is an Anderson. It has a Rise single stage cartridge style trigger assembly, an Anderson buffer assembly kit and the Mission First Tactical Minimalist stock. The optic is a Primary Arms 3X Prism I paid $120 on sale. So, the carbine is a budget gun because I chased sale prices but It still has the Colt upper with the Colt chrome lined barrel., so there's that

Anyway a carbine that is a bit above basic "rack rifle."

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:12:11 AM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:31:15 AM EDT
[#43]

@Balloo
Who makes that mount your streamlight is mounted on? I need one or two.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

@Balloo
View All Quotes
Quoted:

@Balloo

Botach under the KLEY-ZION brand.

If you cannot stomach Botach, then Arisaka makes one also but no sling or sling QD capacity.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#45]
@Balloo
did your handguards warp from barrel heat?  mag dumps?  necessitating the velcro strap?
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
@Balloo
did your handguards warp from barrel heat?  mag dumps?  necessitating the velcro strap?
View Quote

Probably a front end sling keeper. Wish I had thought of that actually. Off to go cutting some one wraps to do exactly this...
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Probably a front end sling keeper. Wish I had thought of that actually. Off to go cutting some one wraps to do exactly this...
View Quote

@x248716x  They did warp just a little bit, but it's for sling retention.

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:18:36 PM EDT
[#48]

That’s money. It might be impossible for any mk18 to not look cool as hell
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top