Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/19/2023 12:05:49 PM EDT
I'm going for a Recce type rifle build. I think I've got everything in place the way that I like. This would be basically an all-purpose rifle.

The barrel is a choice between BA Hanson 16" .625 and BA Hanson 17.7". Leaning more towards the 16" just to shave off a little bit of weight.

The FF Mlok handguard is a choice between 13" and 15" but leaning more towards the 13" also to save a little bit of weight and I don't think I really need the extra 2" of rail, even though it does look cool.

Trying to decide between the Magpul SL vs. SL-S but leaning more towards the SL just to shave off a few ounces and I don't know if the better cheekweld of the SL-S is enough to matter but the storage is good though.

Optic is a Trijicon TR24G since I already own it and I like it, it's decently lightweight and I think the reticle is great for 0-300 yards which covers the distance that I do all my shooting.

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm going for a Reece type rifle build. I think I've got everything in place the way that I like. This would be basically an all-purpose rifle.

The barrel is a choice between BA Hanson 16" .625 and BA Hanson 17.7". Leaning more towards the 16" just to shave off a little bit of weight.

The FF Mlok handguard is a choice between 13" and 15" but leaning more towards the 13" also to save a little bit of weight and I don't think I really need the extra 2" of rail, even though it does look cool.

Trying to decide between the Magpul SL vs. SL-S but leaning more towards the SL just to shave off a few ounces and I don't know if the better cheekweld of the SL-S is enough to matter but the storage is good though.

Optic is a Trijicon TR24G since I already own it and I like it, it's decently lightweight and I think the reticle is great for 0-300 yards which covers the distance that I do all my shooting.

https://i.imgur.com/98YfRUZ.jpg
View Quote

Like this Reece rifle?

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Haha, that's funny. I misspelled it lol
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#3]
You cannot hide from your shame!
Attachment Attached File

Serious question though, why consider the 17.7? I'm not familiar with that. Are there advantages or was the a financial decision?
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought 17.7 was interesting, not a standard barrel but not quite an spr either. It might have a bit of extra velocity and accuracy. But I settled on the 16" .625, it should be a bit handier and I bought one today for a good price, $135 shipped with pinned on gas block, you can't beat that!
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:25:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Did Gunstruction have an update? Lately the lighting hadn't reflected off details.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:28:16 AM EDT
[#6]
BCM MCMR13.
SL stock.
I'd choose Faxon over BA. 16"
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 3:02:42 AM EDT
[#7]
16" barrel would give you better accuracy against numbered BDC's on optics, for whatever the 1.7" of barrel length difference it would make in real shooting applications.

Agreed on the 13" handguard.  15" gets stuff so far out there that its not all that reachable.  Might make sense for a bipod, if that was really important to you.

I'll compare my use of the CTR and STR, sense I don't have an SL or SL-S.  I like the improved cheek weld of the STR on my rifles with a magnified optic.  I feel like it help me get into that position faster and shoot faster, with magnified optics.  On the battery storage, for a "recce" rifle, doing "recce" things, you might "recce" with a thermal, and guess what, they put EOTechs to shame with their hunger for 123's.  I've had the STR battery storage come in to save the day twice now.

Optic?  Whatever.  QD mount to switch to thermal at night.  Broken record on thermal, but put it all on a riser so you can get the thermal further back with irons on, or just ignore me on the thermal train and do what you want.

This is not a "weight conscious" rifle:

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 5:33:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought 17.7 was interesting, not a standard barrel but not quite an spr either. It might have a bit of extra velocity and accuracy. But I settled on the 16" .625, it should be a bit handier and I bought one today for a good price, $135 shipped with pinned on gas block, you can't beat that!
View Quote

Good deal, thanks for explaining that. Post up pics when you get it built.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#9]
In my Reece build

Noveske 16.1” Recon Barrel
“G” MK14 In 13.5” length Rail
Colt M4 Lower and Upper
“G” SSA-E trigger
“G” Super 42 Buffer Spring and H2 Buffer
Sure Fire SOCOM 4 prong Flash Hider

Raptor SL Charging  Handle ambidextrous  
Sharps Reliable Bolt
Titanium Firing Pin
5 coil extractor spring
POF Roller Cam Pin Kit
I had the M16 Carrier NB coated by WMD
“G” Maritime Bolt latch / Release
“G” Super trigger guard
Vitor Crane Buttstock IMOD
KAC 600m Sights Rear and KAC Folding front sight
Houge Grip
ambidextrous safety
JP one piece Gas Ring

Scope
Primary Arms Raptor ACSS 1 to 5 power
FFP scope in American Defense Recon QD mount
Delta Pro Red Dot on American Defense Mount QD and Yankee Hill 45 deg.

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#10]
The barrel is the cornerstone of all builds
Don’t skimp on the barrel !
Buy the best barrel you can !
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Just cause it was a cheap barrel doesn't make it bad. I've heard nothing but good things about the BA Hanson bbls, they have 4.5 star reviews.

I've also got a S&W 16" 1:8 twist 5R rifling bbl, it's pretty accurate
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just cause it was a cheap barrel doesn't make it bad. I've heard nothing but good things about the BA Hanson bbls, they have 4.5 star reviews.

I've also got a S&W 16" 1:8 twist 5R rifling bbl, it's pretty accurate
View Quote

BA seems to have good marks from what I've seen too but I'm not an expert like most of arf

build looks solid to me. I like different furniture and such but all good.  Shoot it then figure out what doesn't work, that's the fun!
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 6:43:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I got the SL and SL-S. The SL is great. The SL-S is not as tight on the extension and just weighs more. I did not feel the cheek weld was any better how I mount the rifle. My next stock is going to be the SL.

16" gets you all the barrel you need for 5.56 cartridge. If you did a 6ARC or 6.5 Grendel, I would say 18" for sure.

I normally use a 13" or 14" rail on a 16" barrel, but for my precision 16" I used a 15" rail to seat the bipod more forward. I actually can't reach any further forward on the rail from the shooting position behind the gun to adjust the bipod tension and it was a pain to adjust at end of rail, so I ended up mounting in the same place as my 13-14" rails. Save the weight.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:13:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In my Reece build

Noveske 16” Recon Barrel
“G” MK14 In 13.5” length Rail
Colt M4 Lower and Upper
“G” SSA-E trigger
Kynshot RB5000 buffer and JP Polished Spring
Sure fire Muzzle Brake WarComp Closed Tine CTN

Raptor SL Charging  Handle ambidextrous  
Sharps Reliable Bolt
Titanium Firing Pin
5 coil extractor spring
POF Round Cam Pin Kit
I had the M16 Carrier NB coated by WMD
“G” Maritime Bolt latch / Release
“G” Super trigger guard
Vitor Crane Buttstock IMOD
Magpul  MBUS Sights front and Rear
Houge Grip
ambidextrous safety
JP one piece Gas Ring

Scope
Primary Arms Raptor ACSS 1 to 5 power
FFP scope in American Defense Recon QD mount
Trijicon RMR with 45deg Trex Mount

View Quote

I’m similar,
16” Recon
Colt cage code upper
Noveske Nitrade BCG (no real reason just needed one and threw it in the cart.)
VLTOR A5 buffer assembly (no real reason other then I like the added lop)
G MK16 13.6” rail
SSA-E

Badger Con 1 1.54 mount
Nightforce NX8 1-8

I may change out the NX8 for a NXS 2.5-10 throw on a J arm and MRDS
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I've used BA and faxon on builds. I've been perfectly happy with them for the roles that I needed them for, but as I get older and look harder at what I'm actually making I think that a better barrel is always the right answer. When you're already throwing $1200+ into a gun, is another $150 going to really matter? Financially it's pretty insignificant, but it's the difference between an average barrel and a pretty good one. I'm not saying every gun should have a $500 barrel, but triarc, criterion etc are solid and worth the slight (in overall cost of the gun) increase in expense.

Edit: Also, what trigger? Your barrel, optic and trigger are what makes or breaks your rifle. I'd take a gun that was made out of bargain crap, but had a great barrel, trigger and scope over one with all the fancy shit, but a mil spec trigger, crap barrel and a tasco.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:37:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I really like the  Vltor A5  extension setup maybe one day I will switch from carbine to A5 length on my 16” Reece Rifle.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Well, she's complete for the most part, might switch out some odds & ends, I don't think I like the ASAP endplate I'll probably swap that for a QD. I need to mount a light and a sling and it's gtg. Trigger is a S3G w/ 5lb spring

It rained today so I haven't had a chance to shoot it, I probably won't get a chance until next weekend but I can't wait to.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:03:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Paint that bitch, especially all the steel under that rail, and you won't mind getting out in the rain with it.  We shoot in the rain alot up here!

I do know that you want ideal conditions for zeroing though.  Me too.

I think it looks great, and your parts list is great, in my view.  Should be light and handy.  Nice that you went with a Magpul grip with a better angle.  I tried to love the MOE grip, but just could not.  Recently replaced one with a K2, big difference, to me.

Hopefully you handload, as you'll find you can tailor a load to your guns and get the most out of them, for less than what premium match grade fodder costs.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:45:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't care so much about the rifle getting wet or ideal conditions as much as just that the field gets swamped when it rains and walking to the 100 yard line to set up targets is like walking through a pond, not to mention there are dangerous critters out there too, mainly cottonmouths but also diamondbacks too and I really hate snakes, oh and mosquitoes suck too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Yep, I hear ya on that, spent alot of time in alot of places like that.  Been a long time since I had to watch out for that kind of stuff.  I forget!

Great looking gun, again.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd skip the BA barrel

If you want better accuracy go with something more along the lines of having craddock precision chamber up a bartlein blank with the profile of your choosing and the reamer of your choosing
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I skipped the BA barrel for now but I'm keeping it in a box for future use because it was a good deal and I'll need it later. This one's a M&P 15 16" lightweight profile 1/8 twist 5R rifling. I'm hoping for good accuracy, we shall see.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#23]
My first session at the range with it just plain sucked! I don't know if I'm just rusty because of working, and marriage, and parenthood, I haven't been out to the range in over a year. I just could not shoot consistently at all. I do know that my scope reticle was canted and this reticle is a real pain in the ass to center. I squared it up with feeler gauges between the mount and bottom of the turrets, only problem with that was the reticle isn't square to the turrets so it ended up slightly canted to the left and I think it was throwing my shots. I tried as best I could to eyeball it a little to the right but I feel like it's still not center, hard to tell when you don't have a crosshair. I can't rule out the barrel either but first I gotta get this scope straightened out. I rang steel at 300 with about 3/10 shots. I was able to hit the 6" a couple times though and that might've just been luck because I hit it about as much as the 8" and the 10".
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Shoot either gun canted or reticle canted, but hold the same. It has minor effect overall.  I find a front sight helps in mounting, but if the reticle is noticeably off from the bottom of the bulge, you might send it to Trij.

You cleaned the bore first?
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#25]
What I need to know is if the reticle is canted and the turrets aren't square to the reticle, would that change windage slightly if adjusting elevation and vice-versa? If so then I need to send this thing back to trij so they can fix it.

edit: I was thinking as long as the reticle is centered even if the turrets aren't center they should still adjust elevation up & down, and windage left & right, right?
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What I need to know is if the reticle is canted and the turrets aren't square to the reticle, would that change windage slightly if adjusting elevation and vice-versa? If so then I need to send this thing back to trij so they can fix it.

edit: I was thinking as long as the reticle is centered even if the turrets aren't center they should still adjust elevation up & down, and windage left & right, right?
View Quote

I don't think the turrets matter at this point, i've never heard of that being a thing. As long at the bottom flat portion of the scope is square to the top rail, it should be good. You used a tq wrench for the scope rings? even gap on both sides of the rings?

what does your 100yd zero look like? get that settled first. what ammo? bulk 55g ammo will be 2-4 moa but you need a good consistent match ammo. Also, lets face it, M&P barrels are not exactly match grade barrels either.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My first session at the range with it just plain sucked! I don't know if I'm just rusty because of working, and marriage, and parenthood, I haven't been out to the range in over a year. I just could not shoot consistently at all. I do know that my scope reticle was canted and this reticle is a real pain in the ass to center. I squared it up with feeler gauges between the mount and bottom of the turrets, only problem with that was the reticle isn't square to the turrets so it ended up slightly canted to the left and I think it was throwing my shots. I tried as best I could to eyeball it a little to the right but I feel like it's still not center, hard to tell when you don't have a crosshair. I can't rule out the barrel either but first I gotta get this scope straightened out. I rang steel at 300 with about 3/10 shots. I was able to hit the 6" a couple times though and that might've just been luck because I hit it about as much as the 8" and the 10".
https://i.imgur.com/hWAu2Nv.jpg
View Quote

Does that scope have the ^ reticle?  I despise that reticle.  It is difficult to shoot a consistent group with it, compared to a + or even a small dot.

About the best you can do is level the rail and then level the elevation turret unless it has a vertical post with the ^ on top.  If it has a post you can hang a string and use the plumb bob technique.

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I don't think the turrets matter at this point, i've never heard of that being a thing. As long at the bottom flat portion of the scope is square to the top rail, it should be good. You used a tq wrench for the scope rings? even gap on both sides of the rings?

what does your 100yd zero look like? get that settled first. what ammo? bulk 55g ammo will be 2-4 moa but you need a good consistent match ammo. Also, lets face it, M&P barrels are not exactly match grade barrels either.
View Quote

I used feeler gauges between the bottom flat part of the scope and the top of the rail essentially making it even but the problem that arose was the the reticle wasn't centered, it was canted left. So I ended up making a makeshift plumb bob which definitely confirmed the reticle was canted left so I rotated the scope a couple degrees clockwise and it appears centered or close enough. I torqued the mount evenly with 30 in. lbs. 100 yards zero was about 3 moa, I was landing 5 shot patterns in 3" circle shoot n see targets using winchester 55g. Not too bad but as a comparison I can shoot 1.5 moa with my A4 clone with the same ammo.

I know it's not a precision scope, and this is going to be more like a HD or duty rifle. I'm trying to use math to figure out if I can use one hold for 0-300 yards using a mpbr that I can center the triangle on a target and hit it. I was thinking a deviation of 2" high and 2" low would give me a nice 4" window but I don't know if it's possible with the current ammo I'm using. I might have to adjust it to a 6" window. I'll play around some more next weekend.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#29]
if the scope reticle is canted, send that shit back to the MFR. there's no reason to have to tilt the scope in the mount.

but 3 MOA with crap ammo and a non match barrel sounds about right.  you are barrel, ammo, and scope limited at this point.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top