Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2022 6:24:07 PM EDT
I need a jig to machine out some 80 percent lowers, and was hoping for recommendations.  Looking for versatility as I have different brands of lowers, and precision so it will produce a quality finished product.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I need a jig to machine out some 80 percent lowers, and was hoping for recommendations.  Looking for versatility as I have different brands of lowers, and precision so it will produce a quality finished product.
View Quote

For use with a router?
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#2]
The only one with which I'm familiar is the 80% Arms (Gen 3, IIRC). Apparently the same as the 5D Tactical jig. It is designed for a router. So far it's done four forged 15 lowers and a couple of billet 10 lowers. I've no complaints, and would buy it again.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only one with which I'm familiar is the 80% Arms (Gen 3, IIRC). Apparently the same as the 5D Tactical jig. It is designed for a router. So far it's done four forged 15 lowers and a couple of billet 10 lowers. I've no complaints, and would buy it again.
View Quote

Curious, how many mill end bits have you gone through?
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Curious, how many mill end bits have you gone through?
View Quote

The original mill is still razor sharp. It's definitely got a few more lowers left in it. Cuts really nice, using WD-40 as cutting fluid. I do rather prefer to take cuts a bit lighter than one could, but I'm looking for "factory" quality. Using a Rigid router, as that is what was available locally (needs to be one on the "approved" list for the cutter), but I wouldn't recommend it, if you're not 100% diligent in tightening it, then pressing the bit down and re-checking the lock, it can slip. Not good when one is one the last pass and the bottom of the pocket disappears.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Go with one of the router jigs, 80% Arms, Modulus, and 5D jigs are the exact same, just pick your favorite color and have fun.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been very happy with my 5D jig.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I like my 5D jig.  I've found that radiused end mills last longer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#8]
The mill ends that come with the 5D jigs are tough, not brittle, but tough. Radiused are fine as long as the corners don't get in the way of the FCG! Radiused receivers are actually stronger than ones with 90 degree cuts. I may try a couple of the radiused mill ends if I break the original one I bought.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I like my 5D jig.  I've found that radiused end mills last longer.
View Quote

Got a part number?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:34:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Got a part number?
View Quote
I can't remember where I ordered from. I'm pretty sure it's a .015 radius like this one.
https://www.the-carbide-end-mill-store.com/m5/815-3120--5-16-variable-flute-end-mill-stub-length-htc-815-3120.html
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top