Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2021 7:45:59 AM EDT
I just got an ARMS #16A carry handle mount to put an Aimpoint Pro on my C7 A1 upper.  It does not lock up solid. There’s always some side to side play no matter how hard I tighten the self locking nut.

Anyone else have issues with this?

Full disclosure. I have one of those C7 uppers from earlier this year with the wonky sight channel. Iron sights zero just fine, so I wasn’t too concerned at the time.

Is it the ARMS mount? The carry handle? Both?
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#1]
When I tried carry handle mounts I never felt they were stable.  It was easy to push them around and no amount of tightening would fix it.  Too tight and the carry handle will crack...

Paladin
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Tin snips and a beer can are the traditional solution. It's not a problem specific to these uppers.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I just got an ARMS #16A carry handle mount to put an Aimpoint Pro on my C7 A1 upper.  It does not lock up solid. There’s always some side to side play no matter how hard I tighten the self locking nut.

Full disclosure. I have one of those C7 uppers from earlier this year with the wonky sight channel. Iron sights zero just fine, so I wasn’t too concerned at the time.

View Quote

if it's an actual ARMS made mount, I seriously doubt that the mount is the issue, and would look at the commercial receivers specs which you already say are screwy

if it's a chinese copy of an ARMS...who knows

I have no hands on with the model you have the question about, but of the ARMS mounts I do have personal experience with (ARMS #02), I find you have to push them down into the receivers sight channel...there is no movement...I would assume the model in question, would be made to those same specs, and be a tight fit in the channel as well, assuming that the channel is right

Link Posted: 9/7/2021 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

if it's an actual ARMS made mount, I seriously doubt that the mount is the issue, and would look at the commercial receivers specs which you already say are screwy

I have no hands on with the model you have the question about, but of the ARMS mounts I do have personal experience with (ARMS #02), I find you have to push them down into the receivers sight channel...there is no movement...I would assume the model in question, would be made to those same specs, and be a tight fit in the channel as well, assuming that the channel is right

View Quote

It’s a legit ARMS mount bought straight from the source. It’s probably the sight channel on my (already established) shoddy C7 upper. Tin snips and beer can, as one poster mentioned, might be a solution until a better upper can be sourced.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I use the same ARMS mount and it's rock solid but I had to really tighten it to the point I used pliers to snug it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I've used foil duct tape, 100mph tape, or even electrical tape before.

The foil tape makes for good shim material that you don't have to look for because it doesn't fall out.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Good call on the foil tape. Just make sure you degrease the area well!
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine was tight on at least the three uppers I had it on.   The original instructions say it will be tight and to use a rubber/plastic hammer to get it to seat the first time if needed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 7:39:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I had the same issue with one of my older C7 uppers and I used a small black rubber washer/seal and it solved my issues with a loose mount immediately AND it looks “right,” IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had the same issue with one of my older C7 uppers and I used a small black rubber washer/seal and it solved my issues with a loose mount immediately AND it looks “right,” IMHO.
View Quote

That’s a pretty good idea! I may try that before going the foil tape shim route.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#11]
A thin rubber washer might be the ticket. I mocked up a folded piece of electrical tape and it almost completely fixed the issue. Tomorrow, I’ll get a few different size washers.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:18:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mine was tight on at least the three uppers I had it on.   The original instructions say it will be tight and to use a rubber/plastic hammer to get it to seat the first time if needed.
View Quote

This has been my experience with 4 separate carry handle mounts between 2 different uppers.
The mount should be tight in the channel. If not how could you expect to retain zero, even if you get the nut to tighten up, any kind of bump to the optic will move the entire set up because the screw is smaller diameter than the hole its going through.

For reference: late 60s Colt A1 with a NOS GG&G mount, and 2 different Aimpoint gooseneck mounts.
The second is a NOS LMT A2 with a second GG&G mount, and tested the same 2 Aimpoint mounts.

OP, You've pointed out that your upper is from that bad batch, I've seen this a hand full of times from that batch.  I believe that the channel its self is actually oversized, not just offset to one side.

I hope you get this resolved!
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's been the case with my ARMS mount. Really tight in the channel.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's been the case with my ARMS mount. Really tight in the channel.
View Quote

dug around and found an old pic of some of my mounts (bottom one is still NOS)....you can see where the finish is starting to get scrubbed off the one I actually use the most from pushing it into sight channels
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top