Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/19/2021 8:11:30 PM EDT
Looking at buying an M16A4 upper and had the seller send me a photo of the chamber area. Would this be the no-no combo of a rifle barrel extension on an upper receiver with M4 feed ramps?

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks fine to me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#3]
It’s fine.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#4]
That looks like it a little, but probably not going to be an issue. Like they started to machine M4 ramps into the upper, and then changed their minds after having taken the tiniest little nibble.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea, it kinda looks like the receiver cuts were home made. It might run fine though.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks all. I'll think on it some more. Hopefully it won't be an issue when actually feeding/firing; those little two nubs on the upper receiver looked a little too small to be factory cut feed ramps so I figured I'd get a second opinion.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:08:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

Here's "the picture" for reference.  They don't look quite as deep on yours.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:16:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78446/Rd51ee03bfe4e77b3513ee9baa228bdc4_jpeg-1833070.JPG

Here's "the picture" for reference.  They don't look quite as deep on yours.
View Quote

@Norinco22  this is the correct answer. There was an incorrect answer posted above.
With the combination extension/receiver in the photo you posted you may well have feeding issues.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#9]
May just be the way the camera/picture makes it look but too me it looks like the barrel extension may be too far into the upper coming out past the inside face of the upper.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Another issue is that the extension looks to be off center? I'm not sure if it's enough to cause the bolt lugs to bind against the extension lugs or not? It's off more than I would find acceptable.
As to the ramps. The M4 ramps in the upper are very small but they do appear to make a pocket for a bullet tip to catch. Bullets should ideally feed high enough that the bullets only contact the extensions rifle ramps, but that's not 100% guaranteed to always happen. 'If I owned the rifle', I'd start with centering the extension with the upper and then I'd extend the rifle ramps to match up with the ramps on the upper.
It may work totally fine as it is though?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Contacted the seller and he said that he "just noticed" the little two pits below the barrel extension; hand cycled a few rounds and said it worked fine.

Will still mull it over a bit, though.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top