Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2019 8:26:56 AM EDT
I've been a faithful user of parked bolts and only recently started using nitride bolts.  Is this to be expected of nitride?  This may have 1k-1.5k on it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:30:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks fine to me.

I honestly don't see the wear you are referring to.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Hard to tell if it is different than my high mile nitride. I have never shined a high power spotlight at mine, or cleaned it that much.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I think OP means the end of the bolt/the bolt face has wear.  That looks normal to me.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#4]
The benefit of nitride is that even if the surface finish wears off, the bolt's base metal itself is hardened and protected so many microns deep from the nitride treatment.  So even if you see wear spots where it's not black, the metal is still hardened and corrosion resistant.

Now, the problem with nitride is that improper application can allegedly mess up with the original metal's heat treatment, leaving an ultra hard surface layer, with a softer metal core of the part.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks fine to me.

I honestly don't see the wear you are referring to.
View Quote
Same here.  I see the surfaces polished and burnished -- what wear are you concerned with?
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:06:51 AM EDT
[#6]
OPs issue is the the black has worn off. Does that mean we’re dealing with bare, untreated metal now?
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't see a problem.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OPs issue is the the black has worn off. Does that mean we’re dealing with bare, untreated metal now?
View Quote
Bingo

I have other nitride bolts with more rounds on them with less finish worn off.

It sounds like I'm viewing nitride incorrectly as a surface finish.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Who manufactured the bolt?
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Two possible answers:
That's the inner nitrogen diffusion layer beneath the outer iron nitride layer, or it's chrome wearing off the barrel extension onto the outer iron nitride layer of the bolt.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#13]
'N'/sample size = 1 for me so please take this with the appropriate grain of salt, but I have a single nitride bolt and it too showed more visual/surface wear on the bolt face and lugs than do my park'd bolts.

No issues with it yet but it doesn't see the round counts or heat cycles my other bolts do. OP, I think you're fine, but keep an eye on it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
'N'/sample size = 1 for me so please take this with the appropriate grain of salt, but I have a single nitride bolt and it too showed more visual/surface wear on the bolt face and lugs than do my park'd bolts.

No issues with it yet but it doesn't see the round counts or heat cycles my other bolts do. OP, I think you're fine, but keep an eye on it.
View Quote
Yeah, my Nitrided Toolcraft shows more "wear" than my bcm or psa premium bolts, but I'm not too worried about it...yet.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Depending on which site you read, who made what, and their quality, Chrome can have a Rockwell hardness of 65-70 and QPQ Nitriding can have a Rockwell hardness of 65-70.

I just checked the safe and my wife's Nitride C158 Bolt does not show this 'wear', but she has a BA performance series 16" lightweight barrel with Nitrided barrel extension.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I dumped all my nitrided bcgs and went back to milspec  awhile ago. No issues other than visual wear, but I do not like second guessing shit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, my Nitrided Toolcraft shows more "wear" than my bcm or psa premium bolts, but I'm not too worried about it...yet.
I dumped all my nitrided bcgs and went back to milspec  awhile ago. No issues other than visual wear, but I do not like second guessing shit.
Likewise.  I have maybe 4 nitride bolts and went right back to buying milspec.

For those asking, it's toolcraft from either RTB or Monmouth/armorally
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#18]
That's just paint coming off the carrier and bolt. It's not really important other than to make it pretty to sell. However it may look like considerable wearing but it's really not.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
These... not knocking Nitrided at all and have many it use.. but for some reason Parkerized MilSpec "feels" like a wiser choice ( for many other reasons the shown bolt surface wear ) in my drag it in the dirt / mud/ muck / sand AR's.

I am curious as to the cleaning routine, and if the receiver extension finish is anything other then routine.... just curious if "something" ( ultrasonic cleaning ? , steel wire brush ? ) is accelerating the finish wear. I know it is pretty easy to remove the dark finish on some thing Nitrided.

@SDMF_Rebel
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Likewise.  I have maybe 4 nitride bolts and went right back to buying milspec.

For those asking, it's toolcraft from either RTB or Monmouth/armorally
These... not knocking Nitrided at all and have many it use.. but for some reason Parkerized MilSpec "feels" like a wiser choice ( for many other reasons the shown bolt surface wear ) in my drag it in the dirt / mud/ muck / sand AR's.

I am curious as to the cleaning routine, and if the receiver extension finish is anything other then routine.... just curious if "something" ( ultrasonic cleaning ? , steel wire brush ? ) is accelerating the finish wear. I know it is pretty easy to remove the dark finish on some thing Nitrided.

@SDMF_Rebel
My cleaning routine on BCGs is to tear them apart, blast them off with brakleen, wipe them off with a rag, and oil in mobile 1.  They never see a brush.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:09:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Who paints their bcgs?
View Quote
No one. Ever.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:39:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#27]
OP that's just a nice patina.  shoot it and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#28]
You'd cry if I showed you how my BCG's look....
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 2:32:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Bingo

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bingo

No, it's fine. All forms of nitriding are a treatment to the surface of the steel itself. You'll need to wear the actual steel down a few microns before it's true untreated metal. The coating on top is really just that. A top coat. You can parkerize over most of the nitrided finishes, or do a shiny finish like this one, but it will most likely wear faster. You could have bare polished steel, but many will think it's untreated bare steel. But look at Glocks for an example. There have been plenty where people buffed the black off and left it silver. Old slides were parkerized on top of the Tennifer, then the gen4s used a less durable black so the Gen5s use a different top coat. The treatment to the metal itself is almost the same, a little stronger than the original Tennifer according to Glock.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 7:19:24 AM EDT
[#30]
... What everyone had already stated concerning finish wear vs case hardening being two different things.

Also, some sell nitrided carriers with phosphate bolts. That bolt doesn't appear to be phosphate, but worth mentioning.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 8:17:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Edit.

It’s probably fine.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#32]
I'll admit that I feel a little better with a name brand milspec bcg in my SHTF rifle, but man the nitride is nice when cleaning after shooting suppressed compare to phosphate.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#33]
A good technical article on nitride surface hardening from the NRA.  Includes an explanation about why and how the “black” may fade although the nitride hardening is still there.  Article quotes one of the owners of H&M Metal Processing, one of the industry leaders.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2017/12/30/the-pros-and-cons-of-nitride-barrel-finishes/
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks good to me.

Nitride looks like shit when it starts to wear but it's still hard and corrosion resistant under the black finish.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:38:13 AM EDT
[#35]
At least your lug corners aren't peening off.

Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Seen that on a couple others that were nitrided.

@FrankW134

9310 or C158?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At least your lug corners aren't peening off.

https://i.imgur.com/QH6hi65.jpg?1
Seen that on a couple others that were nitrided.

@FrankW134

9310 or C158?
Not sure, it's out of a seekins factory upper.  All they advertise is "melonited m16 bolt carrier group".
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:44:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:31:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm still waiting to hear about "painted bcgs".  
View Quote
Thou shalt close the port door before spraying thine AR with Krylon
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:36:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:39:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Fun hater.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thou shalt close the port door before spraying thine AR with Krylon
Fun hater.
Just quoting one the Commandments of AR ownership
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 6:00:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'm still waiting to hear about "painted bcgs".  
View Quote
Pretty sure some companies Cerakote their BCGs, probably the closest we’ll get.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 6:51:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top