Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/3/2021 2:00:51 PM EDT
Been looking for a 14.7" upper for a do it all / HD carbine (i have other AR's but they are HBARs or 20" rifles) and this seems pretty nice for $599. I already have a couple of built lowers I can drop this on (one Anderson, one Bushmaster).

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-14-7-mid-lenght-premium-5-56-nato-1-7-13-5-m-lok-pinned-welded.html

Are the gas ports on these reasonable (not way over or under-gassed)? Are these still the 'FN' barrels?

I'm mostly worried about this no-name PSA M-LOK rail since I guess I'm stuck with it given the pinned flash hider. Would kind of prefer just a FSB with MOE guards...

Anything else I should consider?
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#1]
It I’ll suite your needs just fine
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#2]
PSA has been good to go with the stuff I have purchased from them.  They have literally come from mediocre low end affordable lowest I would ever go equipment to duty worthy.  I have several police office buddies who have PSA rifles because they are affordable and work plus with a police officers salary including family sometimes they can not afford much.  The CHF stuff they make is really stinking nice I really want to get a CHF and G-railed pistol upper eventually myself for a throw in the truck gun.  Right now I have a 300blk PSA kit pistol I use as my throw in the truck when I leave setup.  Granted it does have a nitride barrel but it literally has eaten any ammo I have thrown in it including subs with no suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#3]
My experience with PSA has been that the FN barrels are as accurate as any premium brand. Not trying to start a flame war. Just saying how they’ve shot compared to my KAC, BCM, or LWRC barrels. There are other things that set the premium guns apart from PSA but the FN barrels are good to go.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a PSA CHF upper in .300 BLK. Very happy with it for $349.00

For $600? I'd add a little and get this:
https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-standard-14-5-mid-length-light-weight-upper-receiver-group-w-mcmr-13-handguard/

I don't know that it is better but I know that if you ever wanted to sell the upper a BCM will get a lot more interest than a PSA built upper.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-standard-14-5-mid-length-light-weight-upper-receiver-group-w-mcmr-13-handguard/

I don't know that it is better but I know that if you ever wanted to sell the upper a BCM will get a lot more interest than a PSA built upper.
View Quote

I'm seriously looking at it but once you add a muzzle device it's $170 more. And isn't the BCM barrel inferior to the PSA?
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm seriously looking at it but once you add a muzzle device it's $170 more. And isn't the BCM barrel inferior to the PSA?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That depends entirely on who you ask. I have a BCM 14.5 upper that I got in 2012 and it's at least as accurate as I am. Maybe I'd be disappointed if I was building a bench rest gun with high dollar glass and shooting handloads, but for a carbine with a red dot shooting M193 it's perfect.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Neither of them are precision rifle uppers. There are better barrels than both for sure. But I wouldn't say PSA is above BCM.

I'd 100% go BCM over the PSA. My brother bought his uppers for $179 each from them. I know we are in a different world now but the BCM didn't seem to jump in price vs salad days so I'd go that route.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#8]
PSA is good to go, not bad these days, I have some PSA ARs and they function very good, not the most accurate barrel, but really not that bad.

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a PSA that has become one of my favorite AR's.
Accurate as I am.

ETA: it has never had a hiccup either.
The one I speak of is a 18" SS Wylde
with lightweight rail.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a PSA upper with that m-lok rail not too long ago.  It looks great in hand.  No issues.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've got a PSA that has become one of my favorite AR's.
Accurate as I am.

ETA: it has never had a hiccup either.
The one I speak of is a 18" SS Wylde
with lightweight rail.
View Quote

My neighbor has the same one and I am surprised how accurate it is
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Loctite the handguard screws. I had the 15” version of that handguard on a  PSA 18” 223 Wylde upper come loose from the barrel nut twice.

After using some Loctite on the screws, no more issues, and ran a couple thousand rounds through that upper.

I still switched to a BCM MCMR handguard later for their interlocking screw design out of paranoia though.

EDIT: To your other question that link is for the FN barrel.

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#14]
They’re PSA, I have one that had a canted front sight. PSA fixed it.

Their gas ports are typically milspec. The issue is that they have light buffers and springs. Throw a sprinco and a h2 in there and it’ll be perfect.

I abuse mine and don’t feel bad about it
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:06:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Their gas ports are typically milspec.
View Quote

Negative. They run larger. PSA has verified this several times.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Bought one for a build for my wife a few years back.  She loves it.

Hell, I like it.  Lighter than mine, enough that it's easy to tell when you pick it up.

I've tried to trade her out of it and she won't let it go.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought the same barrel years ago from PSA with the FSB and put MOE hand gaurds on it because I wanted something very lightweight. It has become my favorite AR in my line up and performs very well. I'm not bench rest shooting with it , but I feel it would perform well if that's what I was doing with it. It has eaten everything I have shot through and have never had any issues with it. I would buy with confidence and don't fall into the PSA hate as they do make very good uppers and parts.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a number of PSA dissipator uppers. I got mine back when there was a huge uproar about canted FSBs, but I have not had an issue with that.

One is my favorite AR to shoot. It has a PSA lower parts kit on a spike lower. The best mil spec trigger I've ever shot. That thing is a blast, reliable, accurate and pleasant to shoot.

One thing about PSA - they change their prices around all the time. It's best to watch and log prices on things you're interested in to get a feel for bottom dollar. I've seen the same upper fluctuate nearly $200 in price. BCGs....the same one will range for $120 to $89.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought the 14.7” CHF upper a couple of months ago. It’s my new favorite rifle. It’s marked FN. It spits a neat brass at around 4:00 and is pretty soft recoiling.  I also have a 16” CHF from PSA and it’s been flawless and shoots about 1.5-2 MOA with most decent Ammo. Nothing spectacular in accuracy, but boringly reliable.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top