Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/3/2018 4:12:48 AM EDT
Ive been looking throughout the interwebs and I can't seem to locate a copper or non-lead round for the 6.5 Grendel. Is there a lead-free hog hunting round for the 6.5 Grendel?
I'm considering one for my next build but if I cant find a lead free bullet to hunt hogs with in CA then maybe not. Why don't more manufacturers make ammo for this caliber? I hear nothing but good things about it ...
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 4:26:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Alexander Arms loads a 120gr TSX bullet in 6.5 Grendel. It's not cheap, but it's available.

I don't know of other factory loads that are lead free but do you reload? It would be fairly easy to buy some TSX pills and load them up. Potential for better accuracy that way too.

Click me.

ETA: The round is still niche, although it's gained a LOT of popularity more recently. That's probably why we're not seeing a ton of options because it takes them time to tool up. Personally, I also think the industry is holding its breath until the Army decides on a 6-6.5mm round (if they ever do). Once that happens, Grendel may die a slow death the way 6.8 SPC is doing.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 6:01:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Alexander Arms loads a 120gr TSX bullet in 6.5 Grendel. It's not cheap, but it's available.

I don't know of other factory loads that are lead free but do you reload? It would be fairly easy to buy some TSX pills and load them up. Potential for better accuracy that way too.

Click me.

ETA: The round is still niche, although it's gained a LOT of popularity more recently. That's probably why we're not seeing a ton of options because it takes them time to tool up. Personally, I also think the industry is holding its breath until the Army decides on a 6-6.5mm round (if they ever do). Once that happens, Grendel may die a slow death the way 6.8 SPC is doing.
View Quote
Thanks for the response
I don't currently reload but have been considering getting into it . Especially with the absolutely ridiculous laws in CA. How much is a reloading setup with everything I'd need to get started?

Also, is the Army considering a move from 556 to a 6-6.5mm round or just adding it to their current arsenal?
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 8:12:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks for the response
I don't currently reload but have been considering getting into it . Especially with the absolutely ridiculous laws in CA. How much is a reloading setup with everything I'd need to get started?

Also, is the Army considering a move from 556 to a 6-6.5mm round or just adding it to their current arsenal?
View Quote
For loading a couple hundred rounds a week I use a Lee challenger breechlock set up for around $150.

Figure dies at $26-30, powder at $22-26 lb, primers 28-30/thousand, bullet of your choice.

The challenger anniversary breechlock kit has everything you'll need minus the died and components. Has a scale, powder measure, priming system, etc.

You could drop $250 total and be loading next week going this route.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Precision Firearms sells 6.5 Grendel ammo loaded with 100 grain TTSX and 120 grain TSX bullets.    PF used to sell ammo with Lapua and Hornady brass but some ammo is being sold with Starline brass depending on when it was manufactured.

https://www.precisionfirearms.com/48.html?m8:search[keyword]=6.5%20Grendel%20ammo;search[keywordSearchType]=phrase;search[matchWholeWords]=0;search[keywordFields]=code:string0:text0;search[nested]=1;search[group]=749304;search[fuzzy_sku]=1

Underwood Ammunition just released two lead free loads, one is the 110 grain controlled chaos bullet.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/rifle-ammo/cartridge_6-5-grendel
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Please excuse my dumbass, but why do you need lead-free boolits for hogs in CA ?
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#6]
b/c california condors... and it's the law

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/hunting/nonlead-ammunition
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks for the response

View Quote
You're welcome!

Concerning the Army, who the hell knows. There's rumbling over here and rumors over there but no solid information. My statement about the move is more my opinion than anything based in hard facts. We very well could be using 5.56 as our primary small arm's ammo for the next 50 years.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Hornady GMX? is lead free. Barnes bullets top a few IIRC.
If you take up reloading, you will open a door. Cavity Back, Barnes, Hornady, Lehigh, Nosler and others have lead free offerings. Many are really good ones, but can shorten the expansion threshold range a bit since the round is slow out of the gate. For hunting, it probably won't matter.New desins are coming, and some like Cavity Back and Lehigh have lowered the expansion threshold in their offerings to pretty siutible numbers for the Grendel.
Lots of homework to do and there are sites that can answer a lot more questions for you that are dedicated to the 6.5 Grendel.
Good Luck.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
Read more. It was a nice gesture, but you posted Creedmoor. The question was Grendel.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 10:50:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Read more. It was a nice gesture, but you posted Creedmoor. The question was Grendel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yup, that's why it was so easy to find.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:49:28 PM EDT
[#12]
You might as well reload.  You can get set up for mot too much.  You will save about $1/rd on things like hunting ammo.  AA sells lead-free ammo for $45/20, or $2.25 ea.  If you load your own,

Starline brass $0.50 ea
CBB bullets $0.65 ea
Powder and primer $0.20 ea

That's  $1.35 a round, to start, presuming you lose each piece of brass.

Match ammo will cost less, those bullets are half as much.

Reloading is fun, and helps avoid the mail order problem.

I picked the Cavity Back 118 MKZ because it had the max effective range of several tested.  With IMR8208 I found a load shooting 5 into an inch at 100 yds.  I am satisfied.  I also found a couple loads for 107 SMKs and 123 ELD-Ms that will go into an inch.

Are you in SoCal?
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You might as well reload.  You can get set up for mot too much.  You will save about $1/rd on things like hunting ammo.  AA sells lead-free ammo for $45/20, or $2.25 ea.  If you load your own,

Starline brass $0.50 ea
CBB bullets $0.65 ea
Powder and primer $0.20 ea

That's  $1.35 a round, to start, presuming you lose each piece of brass.

Match ammo will cost less, those bullets are half as much.

Reloading is fun, and helps avoid the mail order problem.

I picked the Cavity Back 118 MKZ because it had the max effective range of several tested.  With IMR8208 I found a load shooting 5 into an inch at 100 yds.  I am satisfied.  I also found a couple loads for 107 SMKs and 123 ELD-Ms that will go into an inch.

Are you in SoCal?
View Quote
Thank you for the info! Looks like reloading is the way to go, plus I like to build and assemble things so it might be right up my alley.
To answer your question, no, I'm not in SoCal.  I'm in Santa Cruz
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 11:52:51 PM EDT
[#14]
You're welcome.

CFE gives top velocities, but it is not temp stable. ARcomp and 8208 give good velocity, Benchmark is pretty good too, they are all temp stable.

There are a few ca-approved lead-free bullets available, I will pm you a link.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top