Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/8/2023 6:04:56 AM EDT
Was wondering how to date a bushmaster , kind of a odd duck , carry handle and upper forged as one , 20 inch bull barrel , target crown , A2 FSB , no bayo.  Not threaded , bullpup under snake logo , L prefix , 1xx,xxx sn

Why carry handle and A2 FSB with a target/match grade barrel , and a integrated carry handle
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:47:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Why carry handle and A2 FSB with a target/match grade barrel , and a integrated carry handle
View Quote

Because of CMP High Power style competitions

As for the mfg date.. I don’t think there’s a real database but I’m sure someone will give you an approximate mfg date based on the SN, the prefix and the mfg plant.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:22:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm interested as well because I have one in the same serial number range. Probably the only thing original to my rifle is the lower receiver.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Same prefix?

I found a previous thread that said the L prefix was the original receivers before they started making c their own , I do not know if that makes it pre ban or not , the lack of bayo lug makes me wonder , but it's the bull barrel so not a standard FSB
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 1:37:51 PM EDT
[#5]
https://www.ar15.com/guides/files/legal/serialnumberlist.html?gid=199

Bushmaster -

Below L051000 - Assembled Pre-Ban Rifles and some pre-94 lowers.**
L051001-L063000 - Mixed Pre-Ban Assembled Rifles and Pre-Sept 94 Lowers (Call to verify)
L063001 and Up - Post-Ban
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:07:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I have two Bushmasters in the L100,000 range. One is  L119,XXX range it is Restricted marked. The other is L163,XXX. From what I have found the L160,000 serial range is around 1999. I would like to find more information on the serial number ranges also.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:08:08 AM EDT
[#8]
PSA
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you for the info guys.  I put it on lay away yesterday , it has the BM case and original goodies ,look like it's unfired , if it's seen more than one outing  it can't be much more , will post a couple pics and range report when I get it paid off ,been raining so much I havnt had a chance to set up my extended range past 100 rds yet
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#10]
The odd part to me was a match grade barrel with the carryhandle , I forgot all about NM competitions as someone pointed out so the peep sights totally make sense now

I'm kinda torn between rethreading or not , the plan is to pull the trigger on a Banish 30 gold this year and get the slow process started

Are you saying you wouldn't thread because of collectabilitty or something? I knew these were desirable  wasn't aware collectable
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#11]
POS  
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Here’s the thing, Bushmaster was based in Windham.   They called themselves “Quality Parts Bushmaster”.    They were a good outfit.   They sold out to Remington, and Remington couldn’t keep quality control standards at the same level.   Remington went under, and I think “Franklin” bought the name/trademark etc.    The current “Bushmaster” Company has pretty sorry offerings.     The rifle you describe sounds like a post 9/94 Bushmaster.   Chrome lined barrels and decent quality.     In 94 the fad was “H-BAR” or heavy barrel.   Everybody wanted an H-BAR.      Anyway, that’s a good quality rifle of that era, with a good barrel.    A2 upper receivers are not currently produced on production rifles (not in large numbers).     If you let an idiot screw up the threading, that would be sad.   Even if it’s done right, the missing bayonet lug is a dead giveaway that it’s been modified.   Personally, I would keep it, and enjoy it the way it is.   I wouldn’t modify it and try to change it into something it isn’t.    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The odd part to me was a match grade barrel with the carryhandle , I forgot all about NM competitions as someone pointed out so the peep sights totally make sense now

I'm kinda torn between rethreading or not , the plan is to pull the trigger on a Banish 30 gold this year and get the slow process started

Are you saying you wouldn't thread because of collectabilitty or something? I knew these were desirable  wasn't aware collectable

Here’s the thing, Bushmaster was based in Windham.   They called themselves “Quality Parts Bushmaster”.    They were a good outfit.   They sold out to Remington, and Remington couldn’t keep quality control standards at the same level.   Remington went under, and I think “Franklin” bought the name/trademark etc.    The current “Bushmaster” Company has pretty sorry offerings.     The rifle you describe sounds like a post 9/94 Bushmaster.   Chrome lined barrels and decent quality.     In 94 the fad was “H-BAR” or heavy barrel.   Everybody wanted an H-BAR.      Anyway, that’s a good quality rifle of that era, with a good barrel.    A2 upper receivers are not currently produced on production rifles (not in large numbers).     If you let an idiot screw up the threading, that would be sad.   Even if it’s done right, the missing bayonet lug is a dead giveaway that it’s been modified.   Personally, I would keep it, and enjoy it the way it is.   I wouldn’t modify it and try to change it into something it isn’t.    

Yeah, believe it or not Bushmaster was the cool guy AR15 from the mid 90's to around 2006.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 11:52:59 PM EDT
[#13]
PSA
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#14]
My understanding is that freedom group bought bushmaster who also bought remington,  freedom group also had several other brands ,and became the parent company of the 2 , I dont believe Remington owned Bushmaster ,  but rather was under the same umbrella of the parent company Freedom Group , they did move bushmaster from Windham to the same plant that Remington was being manufatured in NY

Bushmaster was hurt bad when it was revealed that the DC Sniper used a bushmaster , and Remington was also being sued into oblivion for the use of one of their weapons in a event , I believe legislation was passed to prevent this from happening again
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:19:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My understanding is that freedom group bought bushmaster who also bought remington,  freedom group also had several other brands ,and became the parent company of the 2 , I dont believe Remington owned Bushmaster ,  but rather was under the same umbrella of the parent company Freedom Group , they did move bushmaster from Windham to the same plant that Remington was being manufatured in NY

Bushmaster was hurt bad when it was revealed that the DC Sniper used a bushmaster , and Remington was also being sued into oblivion for the use of one of their weapons in a event , I believe legislation was passed to prevent this from happening again
View Quote

Sandy Hook was the final nail in the coffin for Bushmaster, they were sued into oblivion for their "Buy a Bushmaster and get your man card" advertisement.

https://www.gawker.com/5969150/bushmaster-firearms-your-man-card-is-revoked
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Ouch , yea , that's tough one to bounce vack from , I never knew that
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:43:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I think I am leaning towards leaving the rifle be as is , I have others the same way , leave as they are , and others I can suppress
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think I am leaning towards leaving the rifle be as is , I have others the same way , leave as they are , and others I can suppress
View Quote

I bought a couple Bushmasters and left them in the boxes when I found out Windham was shutting down. We had no idea that they would reopen a few years later under a new name, they haven't gone up in value all that much like I was expecting.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I bought a couple Bushmasters and left them in the boxes when I found out Windham was shutting down. We had no idea that they would reopen a few years later under a new name, they haven't gone up in value all that much like I was expecting.
View Quote

I built a Wilson Combat over the winter with the 20 inch super sniper barrel , it's not threaded either and both are pretty much in the same category so I see them getting out to play at the same time so I will just noise canceling ear muffs that day
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Team POS
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I've handled a couple Windham rifles in the local shops , they definitely have that feel to them
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top