Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2020 11:24:30 AM EDT
I dont know the exact details of current product offerings that are comparable, but I imagine that with the advent of Holosun, Vortex, and others that there has been at least some innovation in the magnifier space. That being said, is the Eotech G-33 magnifier the best bang for the high price tag that it carries?
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Subscribed... interested in what the collective has to say on this topic also.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#3]
EoTech has come out with a few new magnifiers. Take a look at the EoTech G30.

https://www.eotechinc.com/eotech-magnifier-g30

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#4]
For me it is.
If I'm shooting further out from 100, put it on, if not leave it off.
ETA: But I got mine a year or so ago, not at todays prices
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ll spend money on my RDS and scopes but my magnifier is a lowly Sight Mark.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#6]
My SBR still likes the combo.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, G33 is quality glass made by Americans in Michigan.. G30 is made in china, the same place that brought us the china flu that the democrats are using to control its people
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Except for maybe the new Eotech one, I haven't tried it, I think the G33 is still the best.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Magnifiers are still a good way to go.

There are some higher magnification options around now.

I would be concerned about the eyebox as the magnification goes up.

Haven't looked at any reviews lately.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I really want to see a review of the G45
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
EoTech has come out with a few new magnifiers. Take a look at the EoTech G30.

https://www.eotechinc.com/eotech-magnifier-g30

View Quote

i love my g33. I looked at the g30 but i did not like the fact that it is made in asia and it does not have the flip side to side mount that I love behind my eotech exps2-0. The STS mount is great. I can just flip it out of the way instead of haviing to dismount it totally like the g30. just my $.02
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

good point!
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:32:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Went w/ a Lucid 2-5x variable magnifier.  Likely not as good glass as the EoTech, but variable magnification is nice.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I still like mine.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#15]
G33 was best on the market in my opinion. Great clarity, great functional mount. Eotech is coming out with a 5x eventually, and I think that would be awesome. At $650 MSRP just for the 5x, I decided on an LPVO for now. But Eotech is by far my favorite magnifiers. They have micro 3x similar to what vortex offers now too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I would say so. Yes, prices are up there, but it's a versatile, reliable, proven and quality piece of equipment. I still like mine.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I didn't like the G33 that I bought, it had meh on the clarity as compared with it's newer and much better G43 sibling. I almost thought that I was sold a fake, until Eotech confirmed that mine was legit from the get go. I sold the 33 but kept the 43.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:39:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I still like mine.
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I didn't like the G33 that I bought, it had meh on the clarity as compared with it's newer and much better G43 sibling. I almost thought that I was sold a fake, until Eotech confirmed that mine was legit from the get go. I sold the 33 but kept the 43.
View Quote

Not to derail, but where did you manage to find a G43 for sale?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:19:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not to derail, but where did you manage to find a G43 for sale?
View Quote

Primary Arms, I was subscribed so I could be alerted when it went live. Was sold out in minutes apparently.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#21]
So here's a stupid question from someone who has never used a magnifier with a red dot... Why do you need left/right and up/down adjustments on the magnifier? What exactly is that adjusting?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:41:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So here's a stupid question from someone who has never used a magnifier with a red dot... Why do you need left/right and up/down adjustments on the magnifier? What exactly is that adjusting?
View Quote

The adjustments are used to center the red dot's reticle in the magnifier.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:44:58 PM EDT
[#23]
If it's not centered, it won't affect POA/POI will it?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:49:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If it's not centered, it won't affect POA/POI will it?
View Quote

I don't know the intricacies of optic science, but it seems like parallax could come into play depending on how far off centered, due to the magnification lenses.

Why would you not center it?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:56:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I want a G33, but they are $$$$$
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:59:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't know the intricacies of optic science, but it seems like parallax could come into play depending on how far off centered, due to the magnification lenses.

View Quote

Well a magnifier mounted to the rifle I would. I more asked that because I've been looking at if I want to shoot at night using an EOTech with a head-mounted PVS14, if I attached a 3x magnifier to my PVS14. Obviously I won't always get quite the same sight picture doing that, so will I introduce significant issues trying to shoot like that?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:09:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I dont know the exact details of current product offerings that are comparable, but I imagine that with the advent of Holosun, Vortex, and others that there has been at least some innovation in the magnifier space. That being said, is the Eotech G-33 magnifier the best bang for the high price tag that it carries?
View Quote

For the money you can probably find a substitute item in today's market. No matter what type of setup you have, there are alternatives to it. Plus this isn't like the military.

The only way I can recommend buying specific brands is if you're going to use it in military applications and perhaps in situations where you're going to use it for hunting or self-defense. The reason being is that the other brands aren't combat proven optics and you never know where or how it might fail until you use it in real world situations. I would want something that has been proven with years of data compared to something I saved a few dollars over.

I recently had an Armson site that I bought and was planning to use it on a hunting rifle. I decided to take it to the range and zero it. Very nice and had no problem. Then I took it out on the field and a simple leaf that covered my left eye ruined everything whereas if I had my reddot on it from before, it would have worked just fine with or without the leaf obstruction. So that's a harsh lesson. As I said, at the range it's fine and just like anything else you never know what sort of failures you experience until you find them, and you just better hope it's not something you wish you learned earlier.

Back when EOTech and G-33 first came out, the market wasn't as saturated or as capable as it is today. So if you didn't buy brands 10 years ago, don't expect to have a functional item. Whereas today, you can pretty much get away without worry of brand specifics.

With that in mind, if you can afford the EOTech w/ G-33 magnifier, then pick it up. It's quite nice and you're going to enjoy it. However, there is nothing wrong with getting anything else so long as you aren't buying it to say it is the "best."
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:38:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Innovation? Made in China, hard pass. And by "innovation", meaning smaller, there's both the G43 and G45 from Eotech.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

B/c you're moving it from rifle to rifle,  so that you don't have to drop insane  amounts of cash on glass, but can still have everything  zeroed properly.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

B/c you're moving it from rifle to rifle,  so that you don't have to drop insane  amounts of cash on glass, but can still have everything  zeroed properly.
View Quote

A good point
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:14:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Picked up a used G33 on the EE. Kind of steep pricing, even for a used item, but I'm pretty impressed with the clarity and build.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Picked up a used G33 on the EE. Kind of steep pricing, even for a used item, but I'm pretty impressed with the clarity and build.
View Quote

As time has dragged on I am more tempted than ever to buy the HWS package with the actual holo sight too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a pair of g33 magnifiers that I use. One on my duty gun and the other on a personal build. I favor them over LVPOs at the moment because the vast majority of my work is 100 yards and in. For that kind of work, the Holo is still king in my opinion.

When I push out from there or need a more discriminating PID, I flip over the magnifier. For my uses the system works great. I am running them behind EXPS series EoTechs.

A teammate has the vortex mini magnifier which he is very happy with. The clarity on his is very good, but after running his and mine side by side on drills we find the eyebox on the vortex to be alittle more unforgiving on things like a VTac 9 hole barricade.

For the money, if I was strapped or trying to cut costs I don't think the vortex is a bad way to go.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:23:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I had one, hated it. Marginal eye relief, eye box felt picky, and I had some fish eye going on.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:32:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I had one, hated it. Marginal eye relief, eye box felt picky, and I had some fish eye going on.
View Quote

So far the short eye relief is the only thing that I don't care for. But I have it all mounted kind of far forward for shooting with NV. Not really noticing any fisheye. Pretty impressed with the clarity.

The other downside is it adds what feels like substantial weight to my SBR.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:41:03 PM EDT
[#36]
I think it was related to the eye box; if my line of sight wasn’t inline with the G33, I would get a slight distortion.

But that was a long time ago, and I only had the thing for a week or two because of said issues.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top