Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/13/2019 3:47:59 PM EDT
Title sums it up.  I've got Tactical Machining bare 80% lowers, and a pair of TM "regular" jigs.  I've never used them.  I'd like to finish some 80% receivers (anodized and/or anodize my bares), but I have only a drill press.  I also have a router.  I'm looking for a "get 'er done" option.  The 5d jig seems to be the fastest, easiest way from an 80% lower to pew pew.

Anyone feel differently, or have a suggestion on why I SHOULDN'T order a 5D, and just sell my (pair) of TM jigs?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have experience with 5D, but between tooling setup and template changes it would seem most router-based jigs could be used to complete lowers in similar amounts of time.  In my experience, if I get in a hurry to complete a lower as fast as possible, I am more likely to make mistakes, overlook details and screw something up.  When I rush I can definitely see the results in the finished product.  So, now I slow down.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have experience with 5D, but between tooling setup and template changes it would seem most router-based jigs could be used to complete lowers in similar amounts of time.  In my experience, if I get in a hurry to complete a lower as fast as possible, I am more likely to make mistakes, overlook details and screw something up.  When I rush I can definitely see the results in the finished product.  So, now I slow down.
View Quote
Let's make sure this is context...by "fastest", I mean "I've had these Tactical Machining jigs for approximately 3 years, and never touched them because I haven't picked up a mini mill.  So, with a router based jig, I can crank out some lowers with tools I already have on hand (Bosch 1617 EVS router)."
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I got ya now...

Router jigs work well for making good functional lowers without a lot of specialized or expensive equipment like a mill and will get you into making 80% lowers sooner.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Alright, I received justification for my desire.  lol  Just purchased the 5D pro multi-cal setup.

Suggestions/links (before I search) for home anodizing?  I'm torn between ordering anodized 80% lowers, or anodizing these raw 80% lowers I already have on hand.  With durability of the pin holes being my primary concern, and the fact that they'll be raw in either setup, I guess I should just cut what I already have, and anodize them?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Alright, I received justification for my desire.  lol  Just purchased the 5D pro multi-cal setup.

Suggestions/links (before I search) for home anodizing?  I'm torn between ordering anodized 80% lowers, or anodizing these raw 80% lowers I already have on hand.  With durability of the pin holes being my primary concern, and the fact that they'll be raw in either setup, I guess I should just cut what I already have, and anodize them?
View Quote
I haven't tried home anodizing yet, but I'm familiar with the process.  Like any coating process, de-greasing and surface prep is the most labor intensive part of the process.  Out on Youtube is a video on how meticulous the guys and Nodak Spud are at prepping their XM gray retro lowers.

I've read a battery charger can be used, however I've heard mixed results on depth of anodizing.

Do you have an old pot sitting around?  Same applies to cake pan(s) used for applying the dye.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just my humble opinion. But I'd probably duracoat those raw lowers, I'd also duracoat whatever upper was gonna be used with them if I was super picky on a match.

I can post up a lower I sprayed with duracoat, mated to an anodized upper if you like. It's close enough for me.

A friend who's a hell of a lot handier than I tried anodizing, didn't look so good so he started bringing me his lowers to duracoat (it's what he bought, so I sprayed one of mine with his). He's been using one for a couple years now with no noticable wear.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top