Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/1/2020 8:17:48 PM EDT
I was about to mount my 20" A2 barrel assembly and decided to clean it and the chamber before I did.  As I was running the rod/patch/brush down the barrel it felt like it hit a rough spot.  Uh oh.  I put it up to the light and it appears the gas port was not drilled properly.  There appears to be a bit of material in the bore.  No way I'm sending a round out of that.  

Question is:  Can this be reparaired?  Returning to the vendor is not possible. I realized a few months ago there were a couple parts missing from one of the 4 kits I got.  Since I bought them 2 years ago I was told "sorry...you had thirty days to return or exchange."  I think that even if there is a way to fix this, it might cost the same as buying a new assembly from a reuutable manufacturer.

I posted about this saga with missing and out of spec parts but I named the supplier and I guess that's a no no as that post is gone.  My bad.  My responsibility to know and adhere to the rules.

The assembly I have already has the gas block/front sight base, barrel nut and forward hand guard flange attached.  Since this is build #4 for me this week I should be able to figure out how to strip the bad barrel and replace the remaining parts on a good barrel.  On the other hand the cost difference between a complete barrel assembly and a stripped barrel might not be worth the struggle.  Might also be worth the piece of mind that I know it's all correct and to spec.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm wanting to go a little old school with triangular hand guards and a three prong flash hider.

This week is the first time I ever attempted to build an AR15.  With all the many issues I encountered with the kits I learned a ton!

Thanks in Advance
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Cut it back to pistol length, and use with a .22 converter.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it a burr where the port was drilled?  If so that's not uncommon.  If this is the case the first couple shots will smooth it out. Or is is more of a bore obstruction?  Pics?

ETA:

This is not my pic just something I grabbed off Google.  Does it look like this?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:52:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Pics?  Try running a jig down the barrel and see if the obstruction pops out?
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:18:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dj1975232:
Is it a burr where the port was drilled?  If so that's not uncommon.  If this is the case the first couple shots will smooth it out. Or is is more of a bore obstruction?  Pics?

ETA:

This is not my pic just something I grabbed off Google.  Does it look like this?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/403917/P1050598_JPG-1396515.JPG
View Quote

It's more of a burr.  I will try running a jig down the barrel.  All I have is my iPhone so not sure it will take a decent pic.  I'll try tomorrow.  Glad to hear it's not uncommon.  With the other issues I've had with these 4 kits I was fearing the worst.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:19:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a gas port burr.

Firing a mag worth of ammo should take care of it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By CA_TX-Cop:
Pics?  Try running a jig down the barrel and see if the obstruction pops out?
View Quote

Ill try to get my iPhone to take a pic and post tomorrow.  I'll try to locate a .22 cal cleaning jag and see if that does it.  Currently don't have one.  Thank you for the tip.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:
Sounds like a gas port burr. 

Firing a mag worth of ammo should take care of it.
View Quote

I was afraid if I tried a stunt like that my bang would end up being a boom!
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Finally was able to get a halfway decent pic.  Sadly the iPhone really could not get a good down the bore shot.  We have a couple digital SLR's in the house.  Apparently between my wife and 3 daughters they lost their charges for all the cameras so we have a bag of dead batteries.  Anyway, the burr is big enough that you can feel it when the cleaning rod passes it.  I will have to order a set of cleaning jags and see if that works.

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Will be fine, normal barrel.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I recommend sending g it ot a good home.

May I suggest mine?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:48:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

Don't think I've seen a burr that big
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#13]
That’s pretty bad. That must be a huge gas port
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top