Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/14/2022 12:39:50 PM EDT
This is my first AR. I wanted a one-gun-fits-all scenarios build because I don't have enough money to build multiple ARs to fit different purposes. So I wanted a range/home defense/SHTF/3gun any situation build. I'm not going to Ukraine or anything. Bipod is basically only on at the range via QD lever. My idea for offset was faster target acquisition at high magnification and faster transition to 1x than having to power down. I was hoping to be able to reach 300 yards with this thing.

I'm second guessing myself and wondering if it's dumb. I was considering taking off the LPVO and just making it a red dot gun. Dropping the weapon light and going with a much lighter variant.

Here is the build tip to butt. Am I dumb? Changes? Thoughts?

PWS Mk111 Mod2 11.85"
BT46-LW17 PSR Atlas Bipod w/ ADM 170-S Lever
Surefire SOCOM556RC2 (in jail currently)
Surefire Warcomp Flash Hider
Cloud Defensive Rein Weapon Light Kit
BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Vertical Grip Mod 3
Holosun HE508T-RD RDS w/ Arisaka 35*/45* 1.93 Offset Mount
Trijicon Credo 1-6x24 FFP RDS LPVO w/ AD-Delta-C-H Scope Mount 1.93 with QD Levers
Radian Raptor SD Charging Handle
XMR 2 Extended Magazine Release
Magpul B.A.D. Lever
Geissele Super Dynamic 3 Gun Trigger
Radian Talon 45 Short Throw Safety
SB Tactical SBA4 Pistol Brace w/ LOP limiter

10lbs 5oz fully loaded without the bipod
11lbs 6oz fully loaded once the suppressor is added.

11 lbs 2.7oz fully loaded w/ bipod
12lbs 2.8oz w/ bipod & suppressor

Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/AquYhW9
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Me personally, I'd get rid of the bipod, LPVO, BAD lever and extended magazine release.  Optic of choice for me on a sub 14.5" would be a red dot or fixed magnification prism.  Best bet is to run it as you see fit and swap out or remove stuff as you find out what does and doesn't work for you.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#2]
For an 11" barrel a RDS would be a much better application but if this is your "one and only" keep the LPVO and get rid of the offset RDS, your LPVO already has a 1x for this purpose. Lose the bipod and bad lever.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:15:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This is my first AR. I wanted a one-gun-fits-all scenarios build because I don't have enough money to build multiple ARs to fit different purposes. So I wanted a range/home defense/SHTF/3gun any situation build. I'm not going to Ukraine or anything.

I'm second guessing myself and wondering if it's dumb. I was considering taking off the LPVO and just making it a red dot gun. Dropping the weapon light and going with a much lighter variant.

Here is the build tip to butt. Am I dumb? Changes? Thoughts?

PWS Mk111 Mod2 11.85"
BT46-LW17 PSR Atlas Bipod w/ ADM 170-S Lever
Surefire SOCOM556RC2 (in jail currently)
Surefire Warcomp Flash Hider
Cloud Defensive Rein Weapon Light Kit
BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Vertical Grip Mod 3
Holosun HE508T-RD RDS w/ Arisaka 35*/45* 1.93 Offset Mount
Trijicon Credo 1-6x24 FFP RDS LPVO w/ AD-Delta-C-H Scope Mount 1.93 with QD Levers
Radian Raptor SD Charging Handle
XMR 2 Extended Magazine Release
Magpul B.A.D. Lever
Geissele Super Dynamic 3 Gun Trigger
Radian Talon 45 Short Throw Safety
SB Tactical SBA4 Pistol Brace w/ LOP limiter

11 lbs 2.7oz fully loaded
12lbs 2.8oz when I get the suppressor

Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/AquYhW9
View Quote

Bad levers are not a good idea. Lots of ND's because of them. That's a lot of bipod money. You're not going to be doing precision shooting with that gun so save the cash. If you really want one just get a magpul one. An offset dot seems like extra money for very little gain. Lastly, are you running night vision? Why 1.93 for everything?

I think on a short gun a dot + mag makes more sense than an LVPO, but an LVPO would absolutely still be effective.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For an 11" barrel a RDS would be a much better application but if this is your "one and only" keep the LPVO and get rid of the offset RDS, your LPVO already has a 1x for this purpose. Lose the bipod and bad lever.
View Quote

Thanks for the input. I was convinced to use the offset RD for transitioning between 2/3/4/5/6x on the LPVO to a 1x without having to take a hand off to power down the scope. Also to use for target finding at range, loading up on target with the RD and then switching to the LPVO and being instantly on target. But I hear you. The bipod is basically only for the range, it has QD levers so I take it off when I'm not shooting from position/zeroing the scope.

Can I ask, why lose the bad lever? I've had much success with it so far, it's so much easier to drop the bolt or to lock open. Doesn't seem to get in the way when using gloves either, but everyone I talk to seems to have a negative opinion about them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Bad levers are not a good idea. Lots of ND's because of them. That's a lot of bipod money. You're not going to be doing precision shooting with that gun so save the cash. If you really want one just get a magpul one. An offset dot seems like extra money for very little gain. Lastly, are you running night vision? Why 1.93 for everything?

I think on a short gun a dot + mag makes more sense than an LVPO, but an LVPO would absolutely still be effective.
View Quote

Hmm, I guess I can see that. Dropping the bolt with the bad lever and the finger continuing down to the trigger by accident. That's a really good point.

I got the bipod & LPVO because I was hoping to reach 300 yards with this rifle, and the offset for faster target acquisition at magnification and faster transition to 1x. I got QD levers with the bipod so I don't leave it on generally unless I am at the range. But the rifle is so damn heavy I was thinking of dropping one of the optics, do you see any drawback for the offset other than weight?

I did 1.93 because I will primarily be using it in a standing/crouch position and I thought it would make it more comfortable and natural so I don't have to squeeze my eye so far down on the cheek weld. I'd like to do NV but it would just be for fun and I don't have the money for it right now. I've been finding it very natural at this height so far, but I understand it will make prone shooting more difficult.

Thanks for your input!
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Me personally, I'd get rid of the bipod, LPVO, BAD lever and extended magazine release.  Optic of choice for me on a sub 14.5" would be a red dot or fixed magnification prism.  Best bet is to run it as you see fit and swap out or remove stuff as you find out what does and doesn't work for you.
View Quote

Yeah, I should have said in the post the bipod is basically range only and has QD levers for that reason, I plan to leave it off generally. I thought I would try to reach out to 300 yards with this gun which is why I added the LPVO, but I'm thinking maybe there is a reason to have multiple SPRs cause a do-it-all is just so damn heavy. A RD/Magnifier would be much lighter and might work just as well, idk. Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Seems kind of porky, even my .308 AR isn’t that heavy…
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Too much stuff
Too heavy
Come August, technically an SBR under the Biden Brace Ban.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#9]
The most important lesson I got while learning to play guitar was having a very skilled player pick up my $250 piece of crap and making it sing like a beautiful instrument.

I discovered an expensive instrument in the hands of a novice is a waste of money, and a cheap instrument in the hands of a well trained person is still a very effective tool.

OP, if you're young enough, I suggest you focus your money on training rather than "cool" gun things.

I say this with the full knowledge that I don't follow my own advice!  
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Too much stuff
Too heavy
Come August, technically an SBR under the Biden Brace Ban.

View Quote

All of the above, especially the bold.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 5:39:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice try ATF man!
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Pick a purpose first and foremost.

Mini recce?

Ditch the bipod once the optic is zeroed.
Ditch the holosun offset and it's mount, they're superfluous since you already have an LPVO.
Ditch the ADM QD mount, it's a pig and unnecessary, replace with a lighter non QD mount for your LPVO.
Ditch the extended mag release.
Ditch the BAD lever.

1-6x will get you past 300y easily. Your shooting ability and ammo choice will be the real factors (also getting used to basically a no stage trigger).

CQB?
Ditch bipod after zeroing
Ditch the LPVO and ADM QD mount.
Ditch the offset mount and get a regular mount for the MRDS
Ditch extended mag release
Ditch BAD lever

The 3gun trigger you got is better suited for this role.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#13]
If a bipod is not going to be attached to the gun after zeroing, it would be better to zero off of bags.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm sure there's a one size fits all scenario, but for an AR pistol just keep it simple.

Many of the things you have attached are accessories to be moved from one gun to another or add to when you have a specific purpose.

6.2lbs unloaded, but needs a light.  My sling is an accessory, and I add when needed.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Pay the $200 for a tax stamp and make it a short barreled rifle if it is your ‘one and done’ gun. Only piece of advice I have for you.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Pay the $200 for a tax stamp and make it a short barreled rifle if it is your ‘one and done’ gun. Only piece of advice I have for you.
View Quote

Or make it a 14.5 P/W if it is your one and done so you don't have to.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Since nobody embedded it for you, see OPs rifle below.

Thinkin' since you already know how to play the tax stamp game, you should just go ahead and get one more...then shed [quite] a few items already suggested in this thread.

Link Posted: 4/17/2022 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Go out and shoot it standing and while on the move and find out what you like about it and what you don’t. You should find what works for you since that’s the only opinion that should matter.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Bad levers are not a good idea. Lots of ND's because of them.
View Quote

Sorry to hear that you've had ND's because of your use of Bad Levers.

I have Bad Levers on just about all of my ARs, and have since they first came out.  Never had a ND, Jam, or Malfunction because of a Bad Lever.  But I train with my equipment a lot.

To the OP...

I've tried a Bipod on a Short Barreled AR and they just don't add enough to justify keeping one on there.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 3:14:00 AM EDT
[#20]
For one gun ?

Over all it's sound, little expensive and non-standard ( LS piston)  but if that's what you want go for it. The extra do dads are where weapons go wrong when you need them.  I would get rid of the extra levers and extensions.  

I see no "forward assist" on this PWS.............................Ask Kyle Rittenhouse if it's a good thing ....YES IT IS!  It saved his life while looking into the muzzle of a 9mm.
BAD lever has got to go.  I can't stand them, rinky dink solution waiting for a problem of itself to become. I would throw it away...really.  Fluid motion of loading the mag then hitting the bolt catch release isn't that hard to learn, it's ZEN like. Practice...
Bi-pod not needed for a 300m or less shot, ditch it.

11.8" barrel is an odd measurement.  For one gun only IMHO; 12.5" or 16" would be my choices to ponder over and with a "one gun" mindset the 16" has the margin.  12"/12.5"  is the shortest of the long and longest of the short barrels, anything shorter than 12" should be a larger cal. 300BLK, Grendel  etc..  No doubt short barrels will hit at distance but the extra velocity makes a hit more probable and easier due to a little less drop and ability to buck a cross wind while still having some energy. Past 200 meters 5.56 starts to falloff quick.  

The Credo 1-6x is good glass, better than the Credo 1-4x which I once had.  I think they were trying to get too much out of the lens system in the 1-4 and at higher power little things became noticeable.  You made the right choice in the 1-6x.  I still found my Leup MK 4 1.5-5x  20mm had a better picture throughout all settings over the Credo 1-4x.  Can't beat a Leup MK4 for the value...gone are those days. Off set red dot not a bad idea vs. iron BUS.

To me it looks like you have a very nice set up for a max 300 meter lead thrower/Home defense tool.  Nothing wrong with it as long as you know it's limitations and yours when using it.

Train train train and enjoy.

"Beware of the man with one rifle", he likely knows how to use it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wouldn't that take away the privilege of having it loaded in your vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#22]
That's not a pistol.    This is a pistol.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Wouldn't that take away the privilege of having it loaded in your vehicle.
View Quote

That and it requires permission to cross state lines with it.  There are many reasons to not submit to gov't firearm tyranny
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:33:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Have a VUDU on a 14.5” Skinny Afghan (with offset irons)
a XPS-2 with a G43 on a 7.5” Ghetto Blaster
and an ACOG with an offset RMR on a sig 11.5”

If I had to pick one Jack of all trades set up, I’d be hard pressed to give up my XPS with the 3X magnifier…especially on a pistol.
With no magnification, I can easily hit center mass to 200 (I’m no marksman) with the 3X G43 (which has a tiny footprint) 300 is all day and out of a pistol length barrel (77 grain bullets make a difference). I run a cherry bomb muzzle device and it doesn’t bother me without the can at all (Thunder Chicken). It’s actually my favorite of the 3 but probably because I have the most range time with that setup and grew up in a 512 and the old G23 FTS on a 16” carbine.

For an “all around gun” that setup is tough to beat. The LPVO’s are the future but if you’re only wanting to go to 2-300, that setup’s tough to beat.
Just my .2$
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I would dump the optic. Get a good red dot and a qd magnifier to use behind it when you need magnification. Also toss the bad lever in the garbage.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 5:01:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Aren’t you asking a question to which you already know the answer?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#27]
I would have not gotten a PWS because it’s piston and so much of their stuff is proprietary. The optic choices are fine, but I’m not a fan of 1.93 for scopes. The bipod isn’t needed, a front bag will be fine for range trips.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#28]
5.56, .300 BLK and .458 SOCOM 10.5" barrel change
https://photos.app.goo.gl/D6vAXLFQvcA6V1ms7
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 11:40:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I followed arfcomm recommendations and assembled a 16" carbine 5.56 as my first ar.  

get used to the platform.

learn it.  live it.  love it.

then go weird.  short barrel, pistol gas, 300blk, etc.  

worked for me.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 3:06:50 AM EDT
[#30]
It's a nice build with quality parts.  That said, I'd echo what others have said; it's too heavy.  

I don't just mean for me personally.   I have a lot of cohorts who started out with a similar build that can do everything.   And they start taking things off.

With that said, shoot it.  If you like it, then you're good to go.  I'm guessing you'll pare it down.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Aren’t you asking a question to which you already know the answer?
View Quote

As are you
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Or make it a 14.5 P/W if it is your one and done so you don't have to.
View Quote

This.  If you want something one and done, then at least 14.5 is preferable to get full burn out of 5.56 mm and the p/w avoids the stamp which I would recommend for other reasons  (why be on any list you dont have to be on).  Good luck.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top