User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2023 12:08:27 PM EDT
Hi all, new guy here.

Some background: 20 year Navy vet. In the latter half of my career I was trained on the M16/M4 (and a bunch of other crap) and was deployed to a busy area but never fired in anger.  After a 10 year hiatus when I retired, I began purchasing arms for personal use.
I recently built my first AR, to get my feet wet in the world of "adult Legos."  Admittedly, some of it was budget parts. No optics yet. It's just your basic "scary black rifle." I don't really know where Del-Ton sources their parts but I'm told that they are of decent quality for a budget build. Here's my list of components:

I finished an 80% lower then applied a pile of Del-Ton parts to it:
16 inch HBAR (Maryland laws, don'tcha know) with A2 sight and fixed gas block. 1x7 twist, chrome lined.
Completed flat top upper w/M4 feed ramps
Del-Ton lower parts/single stage trigger kit (I know I could have done better)
Magpul fixed stock w/buffer
Magpul mid-length handguard
YHM flip-up rear sight
Complete BCG (from PSA, not Del-Ton)

I surprised myself by not mangling the lower receiver on my first attempt. It came out rather well with a smooth finish inside.
I am pleased with the ergonomic fit of the rifle despite the choice of fixed stock and it functions perfectly from a mechanical standpoint. It's never skipped a beat so far and I've put 3 different kinds of ammo through it.  I'd like to achieve 1.5 to 2 MOA at 100 yds.

I know it's not match grade, but is it crap?

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I've built half a dozen rifles with Del-Ton uppers and they're fine.  I had around 1,500 rounds through the dissapator they sell and never had a failure or stoppage.  As well, I found it to be very accurate.

I'm happy with them.

With their triggers, I honed the hammer and trigger contacts, dropped in a set of $10 JP springs, and I'm happy enough with it.

Sound like you didn't jack up the 80%, so there you go

Time to get an optic!

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Much appreciated.  How badly did I screw up by opting for the chrome lined barrel?  I'm reading that it can reduce consistency.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Much appreciated.  How badly did I screw up by opting for the chrome lined barrel?  I'm reading that it can reduce consistency.
View Quote

I'm sure you can find a Molon thread about chrome lining accuracy, but if I recall correctly, it all comes down to the manufacturer's quality in the process.  Probably not necessary for your rifle, but also no harm done.  Most people consider it desirable in a rifle, unless its a purpose built precision gun.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#4]
See page #41/post #24 in THIS THREAD

" All of our M4 uppers are either Palmetto State Arms or Del-Ton at this point. They do the same job as the others in our situation and are cheap enough that my staff can just swap an upper for a rifle instead of diagnosing an issue or swapping barrels.

V/R
Ron "

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 2:35:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Well that's reassuring. That whole thread is full of good information.  Regarding the search feature- does it only work if you're a paying member? I'm not getting any results back on anything.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well that's reassuring. That whole thread is full of good information.  Regarding the search feature- does it only work if you're a paying member? I'm not getting any results back on anything.
View Quote

Search feature is shit here, even with paid membership.

Google search topic name followed by ar15.com nets me more honestly.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats and welcome aboard.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 2:10:16 AM EDT
[#8]
A chrome-lined barrel is a good thing, mainly for the chamber.  

I've had to have non chrome-lined barrels have their chambers polished to get the pitting out of them three times in my life...
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Brother is rocking a chrome lined Delton 16in barrel in his retro build, it’s a good shooting barrel
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Congrats and welcome aboard.
View Quote

Many thanks. This place is massive, it'll take me awhile to find all the features and info.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Brother is rocking a chrome lined Delton 16in barrel in his retro build, it’s a good shooting barrel
View Quote

So I seemed to have built a reasonable tool, kind of by accident. That's good but I probably should have come to this place first. :)

It shoots but I seem to have trouble getting any kind of consistent group at 100yds. Admittedly, I'm using iron sights and my vision isn't perfect. I mean, I've hit the bullseye but I'm all over the paper.
I've purchased some Federal Gold Medal Match rounds and I'm borrowing a scope. I'll bench the rifle and see what happens. I'm praying that I'm the problem and not the rifle.  If I can get a reasonable group then I'll accept that my vision isn't great and put some kind of optic on it.

Yes, yes, I'm sort of a Fudd. I'm trying to overcome this. Thanks for your patience. ;)
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So I seemed to have built a reasonable tool, kind of by accident. That's good but I probably should have come to this place first. :)

It shoots but I seem to have trouble getting any kind of consistent group at 100yds. Admittedly, I'm using iron sights and my vision isn't perfect. I mean, I've hit the bullseye but I'm all over the paper.
I've purchased some Federal Gold Medal Match rounds and I'm borrowing a scope. I'll bench the rifle and see what happens. I'm praying that I'm the problem and not the rifle.  If I can get a reasonable group then I'll accept that my vision isn't great and put some kind of optic on it.

Yes, yes, I'm sort of a Fudd. I'm trying to overcome this. Thanks for your patience. ;)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quality ammo, quality scope, and a quality marksmen is what you need for that gun to group.

Brothers gun groups about 2.5-3 moa at 100 yards with quality ammo
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 5:13:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Del Ton's just fine.

I've got a 16" DT upper that's as good as anything else;  Wilson barrel in their builds.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless you're shooting High-Power, you'll never even notice.

It's good to think about it, but don't OVERTHINK about it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Search doesn't work too well for paying members either
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quality ammo, quality scope, and a quality marksmen is what you need for that gun to group.

Brothers gun groups about 2.5-3 moa at 100 yards with quality ammo
View Quote

Hi Baba,

I'm still trying to figure out what "quality ammo" means. I've tried several different types. I've just been going to ammoseek for my needs.
I bought some surplus M855 55gr stuff, then some PMC X-TAC 62gr green tips. Then I tried Hornady Super Performance Match 72gr (and then people told me that it was crap and to stop using it.)
Recently someone pointed me at Frontier so I bought a couple of boxes to try.  Any recommendations on good "everyday" ammo would be appreciated.

This afternoon, I'm putting a borrowed scope on this thing and I have 2 boxes of Federal Gold Medal Match. I'll bench shoot the thing and see what happens.
As for being a quality marksman, I'm not Garand Thumb but I'm no slouch either. I know my fundamentals. I'm 50 yo and I've always worn glasses. I do worry that my vision may become a limiting factor for precision distance shooting.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Lots of good info HERE regarding ammo.

Opinions vary as does what barrels prefer which ammo. 2 identical barrels may not shoot the same ammo to same POI.

But for sure, M855 is not what you want for precision/ consistency.

Link Posted: 1/19/2023 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Lots of good info HERE regarding ammo.

Opinions vary as does what barrels prefer which ammo. 2 identical barrels may not shoot the same ammo to same POI.

But for sure, M855 is not what you want for precision/ consistency.

View Quote

Good God, the ammo forum is a gravity well from which there is no escape. I could spend all day there.
This is very different from the M1 Garand community for which there is much less ambiguity in which ammo to use.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Hi Baba,

I'm still trying to figure out what "quality ammo" means. I've tried several different types. I've just been going to ammoseek for my needs.
I bought some surplus M855 55gr stuff, then some PMC X-TAC 62gr green tips. Then I tried Hornady Super Performance Match 72gr (and then people told me that it was crap and to stop using it.)
Recently someone pointed me at Frontier so I bought a couple of boxes to try.  Any recommendations on good "everyday" ammo would be appreciated.

This afternoon, I'm putting a borrowed scope on this thing and I have 2 boxes of Federal Gold Medal Match. I'll bench shoot the thing and see what happens.
As for being a quality marksman, I'm not Garand Thumb but I'm no slouch either. I know my fundamentals. I'm 50 yo and I've always worn glasses. I do worry that my vision may become a limiting factor for precision distance shooting.
View Quote

Look at IMI 77 grain Razorcore offerings, I’ve shoot a lot of that stuff and I can get decent groups with it. Also understand that you won’t be getting Sub-moa groups. Your barrel is probably good for 3-4 inch groups. Go to the ammo sub forum and sink your time there
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I use site:ar15.com

For example site:ar15.com del-ton barrel
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Works as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Chrome lined bore is a plus. A typical USGI rifle shoots at 4-4.5MOA. I think you'll be fine.

Search is garbage, as mentioned. The tips given here are good.

IMI Razorcore is good chit. The FGMM that you have is also good ammo IMHO.

Do get a sling for your rifle if you don't already have one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Does it shoot reliably?  Is it mil std 4 MOA or better?  Then it's not crap.
Lube it and feed it, enjoy it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok, here's what happened today:

Using a (borrowed) 1-6X scope, I used M193 and PMC M855 (because it's what I had on hand) to get the scope zeroed in as close as possible at 100 yards. Then I finally shot 20 rounds of FGMM on a bench with a bag.

I'm pleased to report that the human behind the trigger is the biggest problem and not a crappy rifle. The second biggest problem is needing a better trigger. With the scope, I can tell that I need to work on my breathing and the trigger is very heavy, gritty but also not consistent. I had trigger breaks that felt noticeably lighter than other breaks.

Admittedly, towards the end I kind of lost track of where I was on the paper. The last group that I shot at 6X with FGMM, It looks like I achieved 1.98 MOA if I count 4 holes. I'm pissed off that I can't remember if that 4th hole is part of that group. If it's not part of that group, I shot 1.165 MOA.

Anyway, the rifle shoots decent groups. Fix the trigger, work on my breathing and that'll fix 60% of my problems. I'm going to try contact lenses and yellow lens shooter's glasses to see if that helps my eyes.

Also, the rifle doesn't seem overly picky about ammunition. I rank PMC M855 as the least consistent, M193 as better and the FGMM as the best that got me a tiny bit tighter.

My mentor also brought his own carbine with a good trigger in it. I shot 10 rounds and his trigger made a world of difference.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 12:25:31 AM EDT
[#26]

This is a great option for a 2 stage. If you want a single stage option look at the ALG ACT trigger.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is a great option for a 2 stage. If you want a single stage option look at the ALG ACT trigger.
View Quote

Well...this is more of a home defense/SHTF tool. I just wanted to assess its performance since I'm the one who built it and it's my first time ever doing this. So that being the case, is a single stage trigger more appropriate?
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Well...this is more of a home defense/SHTF tool. I just wanted to assess its performance since I'm the one who built it and it's my first time ever doing this. So that being the case, is a single stage trigger more appropriate?
View Quote

Personal preference.

Single stage for any defensive gun for me personally.

ACT is my preferred.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Before PSA, there was DelTon if you wanted better than M1S/MA parts.

Assmbled many DT kits with no complaints.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Personal preference.

ACT is my preferred.
View Quote

The ACT looks good. Simple and robust, also affordable. It lists the pull weight as around 6lbs. My current trigger maxes out my pull scale which is just ridiculous.
Do I need to be concerned about the pivot pin size?  I installed this lower parts kit. I don't know what the pin size is.

https://www.del-ton.com/AR-15-Lower-Parts-Kit-p/lp1045.htm
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The ACT looks good. Simple and robust, also affordable. It lists the pull weight as around 6lbs. My current trigger maxes out my pull scale which is just ridiculous.
Do I need to be concerned about the pivot pin size?  I installed this lower parts kit. I don't know what the pin size is.

https://www.del-ton.com/AR-15-Lower-Parts-Kit-p/lp1045.htm
View Quote

Your hammer/trigger pins will be std .154"
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#32]
If it's not Scottish, it's CRRAPP.  (from an old comedy sketch)
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 4:00:56 AM EDT
[#33]
To the OP:
You mentioned your barrel is a 1:7 twist. What weight bullets are you trying to get it to group with? If you're shooting 55 gr, they need a slower twist. The 1:7 is for heavier bullets in the 68gr and up range.
I have a 20" 1:7 twist barrel and the best it will group with 55's is about 3moa at 100 yds. The heavier bullets will give me 1-1.5 moa groups at 100 yds.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 6:18:26 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a complete Del-Ton upper with a 1-8 twist barrel and it's very reliable and accurate with PMC 55gr 223 ammo. I don't know why but I prefer to shoot this Del-Ton to more expensive rifles that I have acquired recently. Also it's a very soft shooter even though it has a carbine length gas system, it's definitely my go to rifle for any situation or range outing fun.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 11:39:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
To the OP:
You mentioned your barrel is a 1:7 twist. What weight bullets are you trying to get it to group with? If you're shooting 55 gr, they need a slower twist. The 1:7 is for heavier bullets in the 68gr and up range.
View Quote

Incorrect.

See post #15/page #2 in HERE

Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:35:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Incorrect.

See post #15/page #2 in HERE

View Quote

Everytime I think we’ve successfully stamped it out, that fuddlore sparks up again. Where do people even go to get this idea where it isn’t immediately debunked?
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
To the OP:
I have a 20" 1:7 twist barrel and the best it will group with 55's is about 3moa at 100 yds. The heavier bullets will give me 1-1.5 moa groups at 100 yds.
Keep us posted on your progress.
View Quote

Your groups suck with 55gr ammo because you're using ball. That 50-55gr match grade bullets will yield match grade results.

It's 2023 and we still see people repeating this myth
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 7:56:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Personal preference.

ACT is my preferred.
View Quote

My ACT arrived and I have successfully installed it. Even with the tan spring, the pull is 3lbs lighter than the cheap-o trigger that came with the lower parts kit and the "draggy" feeling is gone.
This is not a "match" rifle so I'm sticking with the tan spring for now. Looking forward to trying it out.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

My ACT arrived and I have successfully installed it. Even with the tan spring, the pull is 3lbs lighter than the cheap-o trigger that came with the lower parts kit and the "draggy" feeling is gone.
This is not a "match" rifle so I'm sticking with the tan spring for now. Looking forward to trying it out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personal preference.

ACT is my preferred.

Tan spring is what I settled on as well.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#40]
To the op. You mentioned a 1/7 twist barrel. You want 1-1.5" groups. It won't happen with light, 55 gr bullets. Use nothing less than 68 gr bullets, 75 gr and up is where it will "shine". Most of the guys I compete with shoot 77 gr bullets and they're masters and high masters. I'm not.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
To the op. You mentioned a 1/7 twist barrel. You want 1-1.5" groups. It won't happen with light, 55 gr bullets. Use nothing less than 68 gr bullets<
View Quote

Incorrect, once again.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:
To the op. You mentioned a 1/7 twist barrel. You want 1-1.5" groups. It won't happen with light, 55 gr bullets. Use nothing less than 68 gr bullets, 75 gr and up is where it will "shine". Most of the guys I compete with shoot 77 gr bullets and they're masters and high masters. I'm not.
View Quote

Did you even read the post at the link that TGWLDR gave you?  The 10-shot group pictured below was fired from a fast twist barrel using 55 grain bullets at a distance of 100 yards.  The group has an extreme spread of 0.464”.

Read more, post less.

….
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:18:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Hi Baba,

View Quote

Suggest you get a good zero at 25 yd/m then move back to 100.  Focus is on the front sight, not the target.  Your eye will automatically center in rear peep.  Thats how I was able to shoot iron sights M16/M14 out to 1000yds.  Shooting small groups with irons require practice and more practice.  FGM is a good load.  For long range (300+) I like Black Hills Mk262 5.56 pressures.  Sounds like you built a good rifle and got a good trigger.  Cheap 55/62 gr ball do have their uses and that's defensive drills
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 5:27:58 AM EDT
[#44]
I really like these comments and have always respected the feedback from Hendeson Defense, if they have not seen it, chances are it does not exist. Also greatly respect the feedback of some of the guys who posted info above, listen to them, I know I do.

My best friend is 68 years old, he has been fishing for 67 years in the same area where we live and I am always amazed at the people that will argue with him on the proper bait, rods, reels and other fishing knowledge.  When he talks about fishing, I dont say a word, I just listen.  I dont know a single person that knows more about boats than him.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 3:05:31 AM EDT
[#45]
A chrome lined bore is less accurate than a non-chrome lined bore, but unless you're shooting "master" or "high master" at 600 yards, you won't notice the difference.
With the 1-7" twist, don't expect stellar groups with any thing less than 62 grain bullets. 75 grain and up is where the 1-7 really shines.
Good luck in your endeavors.

Jon
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 6:41:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A chrome lined bore is less accurate than a non-chrome lined bore, but unless you're shooting "master" or "high master" at 600 yards, you won't notice the difference.
With the 1-7" twist, don't expect stellar groups with any thing less than 62 grain bullets. 75 grain and up is where the 1-7 really shines.
Good luck in your endeavors.

Jon
View Quote

Interesting info from Criterion's page:

Each chrome lined Criterion barrel is hand lapped and held to the same finish and uniformity requirements as our match grade stainless steel barrels. This chrome lining process produces a barrel that significantly increases durability through the more consistent and uniform application of the chrome lining while simultaneously offering national record-setting performance. Capable of generating sub-MOA groups with factory match ammunition and groups in the neighborhood of .5 MOA with handloads tailored to the individual barrel, Criterion is the only manufacturer in existence to offer a match-grade chrome lined AR-15 barrel.

While chrome lining offers superior corrosion resistance to various external weather conditions, it also serves to significantly reduce throat erosion, allowing shooters to enjoy sub-MOA accuracy potential for as much as 20,000 rounds of normal use with factory match ammunition. This contrasts significantly with cold hammer forged mil-spec chrome lined rifle barrels, which are typically only required to successfully generate 4.5 MOA groups at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 6:43:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Del-Ton is on the lower end of the price spectrum, but they make a good rifle with a lot of value. My wife's rifle has one of their lightweight midlength uppers on it and has run flawlessly so far.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 10:05:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Each chrome lined Criterion barrel is hand lapped and held to the same finish and uniformity requirements as our match grade stainless steel barrels. This chrome lining process produces a barrel that significantly increases durability through the more consistent and uniform application of the chrome lining while simultaneously offering national record-setting performance. Capable of generating sub-MOA groups with factory match ammunition and groups in the neighborhood of .5 MOA with handloads tailored to the individual barrel, Criterion is the only manufacturer in existence to offer a match-grade chrome lined AR-15 barrel.

While chrome lining offers superior corrosion resistance to various external weather conditions, it also serves to significantly reduce throat erosion, allowing shooters to enjoy sub-MOA accuracy potential for as much as 20,000 rounds of normal use with factory match ammunition. This contrasts significantly with cold hammer forged mil-spec chrome lined rifle barrels, which are typically only required to successfully generate 4.5 MOA groups at 100 yards.
View Quote

Just a sales pitch. Do you have any substantiated proof, or are you going by hearsay ? Are the barrels air gauged? The chrome detracts from the accuracy no matter what is written. The proof is down range.

Jon
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Just a sales pitch. Do you have any substantiated proof, or are you going by hearsay ? Are the barrels air gauged? The chrome detracts from the accuracy no matter what is written. The proof is down range.

Jon
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jon

The 2 largest problems with membership here: a large portion immediately dismiss information based on nothing other than their feels. Another large portion immediately takes anything posted as gospel.

Check out the data published by both Criterion and member Molon here.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Back in the 90s, I had a Colt A2 HBAR (20"). With PMC 55 grain FMJBT (Boat Tail) ammo and a 4X ACOG TA01, it was 1 MOA from the bench.

No fancy trigger, non-Match ammo, non free float handguard, low magnification optic. 1 MOA.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top