Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2022 12:04:10 PM EDT
As good as this, or is it just hype? https://www.cherrybalmz.com/so/01O1tcMSf#/main

Given that AR technology is prehistoric and motor oil works good, new tech and high order lubes are much improved more than even motor oil. And, I guess that in a pinch, drained oil from the mower will work fine.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
As good as this, or is it just hype? https://www.cherrybalmz.com/so/01O1tcMSf#/main

Given that AR technology is prehistoric and motor oil works good, new tech and high order lubes are much improved more than even motor oil. And, I guess that in a pinch, drained oil from the mower will work fine.
View Quote

I only use firearms specific products so I can’t say anything in regards to motor oil but I like cherrybalmz very much and a little goes a long way. You don’t need much but the bottles are very small so I usually order a couple at a time and Everytime I’ve ever ordered they threw in extra products
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 2:51:25 PM EDT
[#2]
at least don't use dirty motor oil
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Home Brew AR Lube & AR Lubrication

This works for me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I only use firearms specific products so I can’t say anything in regards to motor oil but I like cherrybalmz very much and a little goes a long way. You don’t need much but the bottles are very small so I usually order a couple at a time and Everytime I’ve ever ordered they threw in extra products
View Quote

I am going to give it a shot!  Order placed.  

I am anxious to see how long one that is suppressed will run...
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 8:31:08 PM EDT
[#5]
CLP and lithium grease is all you really need.   The AR-15 is 1970's technology, and that what it was designed to run on.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 9:01:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I've run synthetic diesel oil and mobil1 anything left over from changing oil.

There's detergents which causes carbon to basically whisk away.
Good for phosphate old school bolts.
Nickel boron bolt and carrier? Wipes off with a rag, good as new. No scrubbing with a brush.
Same for nitride bolts and carriers.

Think about it...
Pistons in engines are made out of what?
Piston rings are made out of what?
Cylinders are made out of what?

Upper in an AR is aluminum and the bolt carrier is reciprocating steel...

Now the old school Dino oil that our fathers/grandfather's ran in sold lifter engines, sulphur present in the oil, combined with moisture = rust.

Why spend $$$ on a consumable when you can literally take 1 quart and lubricate every weapon you own for years?
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I use Super Lube grease on my AR bolts and pistol slides, and CLP on my 22s.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#8]
On guns I don’t plan to shoot often I use Cherrybaums because it stays put.

On guns I shoot every week I use Slip 2000 or CLP

I wouldn’t overthink it. In a pinch regular motor oil off a dip stick will keep you running
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:00:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I am going to give it a shot!  Order placed.  

I am anxious to see how long one that is suppressed will run...
View Quote

Let us know about your suppressed testing  results after you try it out
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ve used Mobil One synthetic in ARs and synthetic bearing grease in AKs.

Yes it works fine.

Also stains like crazy and both have have what I consider a distinctive odor. Not bad, but I stick with Breakfree CLP, TW25B & Ballistol. Compared to the cost of ammo, I spend almost nothing on these products.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Like some others here, I run Mobile One synthetic for all of my firearms from .22 pistols to bolt action 98K Mausers, and everything in between.

If a firearms is stored over many months I will give the working parts a new quick coating before shooting the firearm. I have been using Mobile 1 for over 15-years as my primary firearms lube.

I do have Hoppes oil, but I use it for wood parts and the outside of firearms, not for working parts.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I just use the Lucas Extreme Duty they sell at Auto Zone. Little bottle w needle applicator. Clean and easy to apply. Doesn’t evaporate or drip. Great stuff for everything from pistols to an AK or AR to a 240B.

https://lucasoil.com/products/out-door-line/extreme-duty-gun-oil
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
Talk about packing on the lube.  

It does remind me of using Red N Tacky grease all over my MP5 and HK21 bolts.  I pack in in as Mike @TSC Machine taught me.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
CLP and lithium grease is all you really need.   The AR-15 is 1970's technology, and that what it was designed to run on.
View Quote
It's 1950's technology.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been using Mobil 1 for years.  In fact, I bought the "industrial size" container of Slip2000 EWL right before trying Mobil 1.  I still have that mega sized bottle of EWL, but use the motor oil instead.  I've used it in ARs with 7.5", 10.5", 11.5", 14.5", 16", 20" in temperature ranges from -3F to 104F. Rain, sun, snow, sleet. Wolf steel case to Federal GMM.  10 round sight in to 500+ round training days. 223 Remington, 5.56 NATO, 308 Win, 7.62 NATO.

Mobil 1 works.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh, and I lube my BCG "prom date wet" ... aka "nearly dripping".
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I tried the whole mobile 1 motor oil thing and wasn't that impressed. It doesn't stay where you put it and it deffinitely didn't do anything to make cleaning easier.  

Went back to safariland CLP.

Finally used up a bottle so changed to the Lucas Extreme lube and will probably stick with it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree. Mobil 1 will migrate (especially if your rifle is stored vertical).  However, if I'm storing a gun I remove excess and don't' have a problem.

My routine is three range trips a week so the guns I train with don't get much time for migration.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#19]
1qt of ow-40
1 qt of mercion V ATF

if its good enough for a F1 race car, its good enough for a gun.

50/50 ratio

1qt of each will last most people a lifetime and its 20$ tops.
get a pack of 20 needle tip applicators from amazon for like 10$

done.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I use Mobil 1 10-30 on every firearm I own w/ the exception of my M1a.

The M1a gets synthetic grease.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Not this shit again

Mobil-1 engine oil sucks, shows up to 18% more wear than CLPs, and doesn't do well in rust protection in humidity tests.
Engine oils work in engines due to pressure feeding to critical areas, does your AR have an oil pump?

Lithium greases absorb moisture, on a 1:1 level.

On subject of mixing oil with grease from @Foxtrot08:
By adding an engine oil, you’re over saturating the grease number first off. Which just leads to a slinging mess. Two, the detergents in the engine oil will break apart the grease, which leads to its further inability to protect as a grease.
If you want a thinner grease, buy a fucking thinner grease.

You have all the way down to NLGI 000 to choose from. Most commercial off the shelf greases are an NLGI 2.

So what weight grease would work well for an AR bolt that will both lubricate and stay put?
NLGI 0 or 1 depending on your ambient temperature and also your duty cycle of the gun.  
Something like a hunting rifle I’d probably say a 0.  3 gun rifle in AZ, a 1.
Cherry Balmz ‘Black Rifle is NLGI-0

Mixing ATF in any grease will make a stinky mess, that drains out of your rifle constantly. Another fluid designed to be pumped through a transmission.

@masterdrago
OP, you really go the the maintenance section, and read the LUBE threads.

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top