Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2021 5:48:03 PM EDT
I currently have a couple Streamlight Protac HL-Xs and a PM2.  Would it be worth it to upgrade to Modlite?
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 6:16:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had bad luck with Streamlight rifle lights. The switches really suck. So I would say yes.

I have Surefire 600DF and Modlite OKW. I like the Modlite better for outdoor use as its basically a light saber. I have the Surefire on an SBR house gun as it has much more spill which is what I want for that gun.

Modlight makes really good stuff. Pricy but worth it IMO.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#2]
The HL-X has some really decent performance. Not PLHv2, and especially OKW, performance. But still very respectable and useful. The question whether it's worth it should really depend on how much you think you're going to need that extra performance, and then secondly if you think it's worth the cash outlay. The light body and head will cost you about $250-$280, and then you'll need a tailcap, and maybe a switch. So that's more money out.

The Streamlight switches are known to fail. I had decided to upgrade my HL-X with the Arisaka tailcap adapter and then bought a Surefire DS tailcap and an SR07 switch. In the long run, I swapped out my Streamlight setup for an OKW. But that's just because I like to throw money in a hole apparently. Lol
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had bad luck with Streamlight rifle lights. The switches really suck. So I would say yes.

I have Surefire 600DF and Modlite OKW. I like the Modlite better for outdoor use as its basically a light saber. I have the Surefire on an SBR house gun as it has much more spill which is what I want for that gun.

Modlight makes really good stuff. Pricy but worth it IMO.
View Quote

I too have have never had good luck with streamlight they are junk imo.   Modlite are one of the best out there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I currently have a couple Streamlight Protac HL-Xs and a PM2.  Would it be worth it to upgrade to Modlite?
View Quote

Yes.

Streamlights are decent for the money.

Modlite is king right now.

That is all.

Link Posted: 3/30/2021 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, Yes, and Yes.

In my opinion, Modlite and Streamlight aren't even in the same league.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Just as a lumen projector you won't notice the $200 extra in price.

Quality and an extra bit of performance is what you are paying for.

I can clearly tell Streamlight is China when compared to Surefire or Modlite
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#7]
My experience is different... I have 3 Streamlight HLX and 3 Modlites. The Modlites have a flimsy cap on the spring tip that will fall off and they tend to let the spring bend over on battery swaps more easily. Also I had to swap out a click mechanism on one Modlite that made it go intermittent only... the click didn't make it permanent on. Bought McClicky mechanisms to replace any future click tailcap issues. The Streamlights are more reliable in my experience. Now the Streamlight tape switches straight up suck and are junk, but the click tails are fine. If you are using a tape switch, you want Surefire format.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Still waiting for my SL tape switch to fail...

Link Posted: 4/1/2021 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Streamlight shouldn't even be in the same weaponlight category as modlite.

I own 3 and until something else that has the candela, lumens, and build quality as modlite, I won't even consider it.

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Still waiting for my SL tape switch to fail...

View Quote

Me too......
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#11]
To answer the OP's question:

Assuming your Steamlights haven't failed and looking the cost of Modlites....I'd have to say no, it's not worth the cost to upgrade.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Well we're going to find out.  Finally pulled the trigger on a PLHv2 18650
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well we're going to find out.  Finally pulled the trigger on a PLHv2 18650
View Quote

You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Streamlight’s other weapon lights are made in the USA. In fact, Surefire has contracted parts from them more than once in the past. It’s weird they broke that tradition on the HLX after all these years.

If you believe the SME’s on Candlepower forums, both Streamlight and Surefire use Chinese produced circuitry and LED’s. Cloud Defensive is the only brand I’ve seen claim to be 100% USA made.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 4:00:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Streamlight's other weapon lights are made in the USA. In fact, Surefire has contracted parts from them more than once in the past. It's weird they broke that tradition on the HLX after all these years.

If you believe the SME's on Candlepower forums, both Streamlight and Surefire use Chinese produced circuitry and LED's. Cloud Defensive is the only brand I've seen claim to be 100% USA made.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Streamlight's other weapon lights are made in the USA. In fact, Surefire has contracted parts from them more than once in the past. It's weird they broke that tradition on the HLX after all these years.

If you believe the SME's on Candlepower forums, both Streamlight and Surefire use Chinese produced circuitry and LED's. Cloud Defensive is the only brand I've seen claim to be 100% USA made.

I have a TLR7A and am mostly happy about it.  It's not Surefire X300U quality but the only ok option for a G19 sized light.

The HLX just looks and feels full of China.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I just can't wrap my head around any company charging $300-$400 for a WML.

(Cue the 'it's difficult to build a rugged/durable flashlight' crowd.)
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Real made in the USA with good materials isn't cheep.

You are not going to get people who know what they are doing and care about what they are producing for $10 and hour.

This goes for the whole supply chain if you are trying to make your product 100% made in the USA.

Link Posted: 4/4/2021 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Real made in the USA with good materials isn't cheep.

You are not going to get people who know what they are doing and care about what they are producing for $10 and hour.

This goes for the whole supply chain if you are trying to make your product 100% made in the USA.

View Quote
Right on cue!
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have a TLR7A and am mostly happy about it.  It's not Surefire X300U quality but the only ok option for a G19 sized light.

The HLX just looks and feels full of China.
View Quote

I don't really care what it looks and feels like as long as it works like it's designed to.  I've had probably 30+ surefires that needed fixed since about 2017.  22 of them were 600v models that all needed new heads and the rest are 600df that are having the same issues mentioned here.  The 600df runs great with 123s but are really hit or miss with 18650s.  The dual fuel feature is really what draws people to this light and it seems surefire hasn't quite figured out how to make them work yet.

To be fair surefire has great customer service and our local rep kicks ass, BUT It really sucks to hop out of your car, chamber a round and have your flashlight come on with the only way to turn it off being to take the head off of it.

I'll try a modlight next but besides cutting out for a fraction of a second when the bolt on the rifle closes, which I couldn't care less about, my streamlights have worked well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s likely because you haven’t owned both.

You don’t have to spend big money to get a decent light. I had a G2 set up I think I had less than $100 into at one point. Sure the light flickered with every shot, and sure the output sucked, but it still worked. The user decides what they need, so why bash others either way?
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That’s likely because you haven’t owned both.

You don’t have to spend big money to get a decent light. I had a G2 set up I think I had less than $100 into at one point. Sure the light flickered with every shot, and sure the output sucked, but it still worked. The user decides what they need, so why bash others either way?
View Quote
I have had several surefire lights.  I have a M961 that I had to up-mod with a Malkoff head...and even have a very old but pristine 6Z that I bought new way back in the day.

I have never been disappointed with the half dozen Streamlights that I own. I just can not justify paying an arm and a leg for Modlite or any of the newer WMLs on the market with their artificially inflated price tags. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been a fan of Streamlight for 15 years.  I use their Stinger LED full sized lights for work and you can't kill them.  I get hours of continuous run time daily so of course when I found out they made weapon lights, that's who I went with.  

I do like their weapon lights and personally haven't had any issues but their tape switch is lousy for anything outside of a larp day at the range.  The lights themselves have seen 1000's of rounds on my guns and have never had a flicker but like I said, the tape switch, specifically the cable is actually quite fragile.  I had to make a provision for the wire after just moving it around in the safe a few time as it was already starting to cut the outer sheathing.  Where the cable attaches to the tape switch is also poorly made; one little snag, and it's ripping it out of the switch.  I have zero issues with my pistols lights.

Are Modlites and Surfires worth 3 to 4 times more than the Streamlights?  IMO, no, but I don't go outside the wire much so I should be OK.

Arisaka does make an adapter for the Streamlight to accept Surefire switches but after you add the adapter, then a good switch, you're just a few bucks away from just getting the high dollar light anyway.

https://arisakadefense.com/tailcap-adapter-streamlight-protac-railmount-hl-x/

Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:18:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I rely heavily on lights in my line of work. The OKW is on par with my best light that I regularly count on with my life. It is everything you want in a WML.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:11:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes it's worth it
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#25]
As someone who's had many streamlights and several modlites, I can tell you that they aren't close in performance. Modlite is far better. That being said, unless you shoot under lowlight conditions a lot, there really isn't much of a need to upgrade. For inside the home, the streamlight is very bright. Outdoors is where you really see the drop-off between Streamlight and modlite.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:52:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Modlite is far superior. The output of the modlite is significantly better than the streamlight. I don't think I can go with any other light after using modlite.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

What does the Streamlight not do that you want it to do?
If it works fine for your use, why spend money needlessly?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:19:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What does the Streamlight not do that you want it to do?
If it works fine for your use, why spend money needlessly?
View Quote

The same reason I have several guns that do the same thing.  I hate money.

I got the Modlite in.  I haven't mounted it up yet, but comparing it to my Streamlights, the hot spot is so much more pronounced and the spill is a lot more neat.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:01:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The same reason I have several guns that do the same thing.  I hate money.

I got the Modlite in.  I haven't mounted it up yet, but comparing it to my Streamlights, the hot spot is so much more pronounced and the spill is a lot more neat.
View Quote

CongratsAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:44:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

For home defense? No.

For outdoor use at ranges where the extra candela matter? Yes.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#31]
I’ve had really good luck with Streamlight and their CS is great. Wore a hole in the tail cap switch on my Stinger and they sent me a new tail cap without hesitation. Surefire used to be like that but now it’s like pulling teeth to get any help from them.

I ordered a Modlite PLHv2 recently as the reviews were impressive and the pricing was the same as a Surefire. I think Streamlight missed the mark by going 100% Chinese made with the Protac HL-X. I swap weapon lights around between guns as needed so it seemed like a reasonable price to pay for the features.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top