Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2021 4:05:35 AM EDT
Hi .  

I have some Geissele sights on a Geissele URGI upper.
How much adjustment when zeroing is too much and time to look into something being wrong ?  

I attached a Google link with some pictures  I hope that's ok /works

The target is 25 yards

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dfvbsAMsEguyPB2D6
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Could be caused by the front of the upper not bring square (seen many issues with this).
Can be corrected by lapping the receiver with a mandrel made for doing this.

Wheeler lapping tool

Brownells AR-15 Lapping Tool

Like Wheeler's better due to flex shaft that keeps you from accidentally putting side pressure on tool while lapping.
Just do it enough to get near 100% contact. You will see where the anodizing is cut off, that is the higher area. Any black left is the low area.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 5:05:11 PM EDT
[#2]
That looks acceptable to me and I would not let it bother me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

A bit far off for my taste, but as long as there’s some left to adjust for windage on the range later it should be all good.

If OP ends up needing some extra, he could file down the one side of the aperture.

OP, is your front post in straight? Is it offset by any chance? Rail bent? Can you flip the front around? Normally flip sights get installed so they fold towards the stock, did you happen to put it on backwards?

I’m hoping it just got put on backwards and it can be flipped to get a more centered zero.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#5]
It looks like you could come a couple clicks left on your zero, that will center your rear sight slightly better.

You have nothing to worry about IMO, I have seen a lot worse than that. Get to an actual 200 yard or 200 meter range and establish your final zero. 25 to 50 yards needs to be confirmed at distance.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a set up with 2 grub screws run through the bottom of an FSB

1 degree of rotation makes a huge difference in zeroing the set up

getting a rail flat and and a removable front sight square takes some effort

heres a cool "trick"

get a red dot sight zeroed

then tweak the iron sights to place the dot right over the tip of the front post

Bill's rails are tweaked by spacers in front of the barrel nut

you might be able to tweak a degree of rotation by loosening the rail mounting bolts and twisting the rail while tightening the bolts

or try loosening the front sight and pushing it left as you tighten the mount

you are not that far off center and in spec for 90 percent of builds

it is interesting your front sight is canted clockwise to the right (from the rear view)

more common is the rear sight being buried far left
due to the barrel nut being over torqued clockwise from the front view and the barrel pin being forced away from the ejection port side
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top