Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2020 3:47:15 PM EDT
Greetings,
Able to purchase a S&W M&P 15 Sport 2, Model 12936 with Crimson Trace 103 optics.  Such a great weapon and a fantastic price of $499 but I also want iron sites.  I've asked S&W in email and on the phone and they were unable to provide flip sight recommendations and they don't sell S&W sights for this weapon.

I had Magpul sights but they were not iron sights and as the front is going on a gas block, had to return them because I need metal sights due to heat concerns.

I know there are many manufacturer options but would prefer to get the right size metal sights on the next purchase and not get the wrong ones again.  Correct size is an issue as I'd rather not have to remove the riser the CT optics are currently sitting on, as it is at a great height for me currently.

Additionally, I didn't want to get $120+ sights, when someone has had great results with much less expensive options.

New to the AR community (old M-16 A1, 2, and 3 Marine here) and new to the site.  Thank you for any assistance.

Semper Fi,
Don
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I went with Daniel defense fix sights
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I have experience with this rifle as well as DD sights,  but not both together.  Having said that, I really like the DD fixed sights.

Do you want fixed or flip up?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are the gas blocks on these same height as top rail?
View Quote
Yes. It's a rail height gas block. Used to be the M&P OR.

OP, just make sure not to get a "gas block height" front sight. Those are not made for rail height gas blocks.

You're probably going to spend a few bucks. That's the downside of the OR. You can still get a MBUS rear though and then some inexpensive fixed front. Or skip backup sights all together if it's a range gun. Or, pull the block, get a low profile has block and 12" rail and the world's your oyster...

(That's how my OR ended up)
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Prefer flip up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Much Appreciated!  Great input for me.
Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:16:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:48:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had Magpul sights but they were not iron sights and as the front is going on a gas block, had to return them because I need metal sights due to heat concerns.

Additionally, I didn't want to get $120+ sights, when someone has had great results with much less expensive options.
View Quote
The polymer Magpul sights would work fine...you won't melt them.

Quality flip-up metal sights are going to run @ $180 - $200, unless you find a used set in the EE (I like the Troy Battle Sights). I tried a set of inexpensive UTG flip-ups on my .22lr Walther/HK 416...waste of money, as the mounting bolt stripped out with the slightest amount of torque on install.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Plan on spending close to $100 per sight if you want aluminum.  The Daniel Defense are excellent, highly recommended.  They are definitely worth it.

Also check out Troy and Magpul pro.  You'll be in the same general price bracket.  You could also go fixed front and flip up rear.  Unless you're shooting a lot, really fast, I don't think you'll have a problem with polymer sights, especially just for backup (maybe see a problem if you push it really hard, but not likely for a typical user).

Just look for fixed rail sights on google, or at midway or Brownell's.  There's plenty more available.  I think Griffin had some aluminum flip-ups for a while, not sure if they do anymore.  Almost all the fixed sights you can find will do what you want.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:18:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I wanted to thank everyone that replied.  After a lot of researching numerous places online and then talking with Ozark Armament (wound up talking with the owner), I chose a pair of their metal flip-up sights.  After reading the reviews, (mostly positive) I wasn't 100% certain in the quality of inexpensive sights but after communicating with him via email several times, he convinced me that his guarantee of ensuring replacements would mean I hadn't wasted my money.  $30 is VERY LITTLE to spend for sights and initially, that was a big concern.  Trying to save money has cost me before and I didn't want to just add to the cost of what I should have bought in the first place.

However, after getting them in the mail, I was very happy with the way they looked and felt.  After mounting them, I was very pleased with the ease of operation and how solid they were.  But the big test was yesterday and it was battle sight zero for me out of the box.  They held up well after the initial 100 rounds or so yesterday and I couldn't be happier.  I made the right choice and saved money I can spend on more ammo.

Thanks again for the insightful info and I am fortunate to have found these sights that work perfectly for me as a co-witness with my Crimson Trace 103 optics or as backup sights.

Semper Fi,
Don
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I would have suggested this:

Keep the polymer MBUS if you still have it.  Extremely rugged, but a bit bulky.

For a gas block rail (standard rail height) folding front sight use the steel MBUS Pro.

If you want a more streamlined rear sight get the rear MBUS Pro to match the front.

The only setup that might be better is the KAC micro folding sights and they are much more expensive.

If the sights you picked don’t hold up, consider this as a replacement.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top