Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/17/2020 4:19:17 PM EDT
Just introducing myself.  Have lurked around the AR15 forums for quite some time, but just don't post much on forums.  Was in my local gun shop yesterday (it's a great shop - Family owned for over 70 years!) and was there to get some ammo and maybe a new 9mm for summer carry here in FL.  Left with the 9mm and a new AR pistol (funny how that happens....I'm sure I'm the only one, right?).  Anyway, I usually build my own ARs, but we got to chatting about the AR pistols.  One of the shop owners spoke highly of the Springfield Saint models so I checked them out.  I went with the Saint Victor 5.56 pistol.  I worked a decent deal since I was buying both the AR pistol and a 9mm Hellcat.  Even got some extra pmags and range time thrown in.  I put 200 rounds through it before even leaving the shop LOL (had to borrow some sights from them).  I was really impressed with it, and I think Springfield did a nice job on this model.  Not much I need to do to it other than swapping out the brace (still looking at those, but leaning toward the Tailhook or the SBA3 or 4).  I kinda bought this on impulse, but in doing my research afterward looks like he guided me well.  Once I got it home and cleaned it, I threw on an old set of YHM flip ups I had, and an EoTech.  I'm really impressed with the attention to detail they put in at that price point.  Staked Castle nut, Forged steel, PERFECT trigger (breaks right at 4 lbs), decent grip, nice trigger guard, and a QD connector.  Only bummer is this might be the most boring gun I ever bought.  I don't have to fix much beyond the brace!  Anyway - I don't really have any questions, but if anyone has opinions on stuff they've done that made a difference on theirs, I'm happy to listen.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats...although if you've built AR's before, you have already built pistols....assuming you built everything, but didn't add the stock until the very end.

Your 4473's would (should) have been marked "other" for those lowers.  Naked buffer tube counts as a pistol...soooo....you built a pistol first.   Yeah, silly laws.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By panthermark:
soooo....you built a pistol first.   Yeah, silly laws.
View Quote

LOL.  Agreed.  Honestly, AR pistols weren't really on my radar.  In fact, I usually build AR 10s, and have a few now.  Might have to build one in a pistol now....or at least get a 308 AAC Blackout upper going on this one (I know....here we go).  I'm surprisingly intrigued with the concept.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Springfield Armory is building a really nice line-up, of pistols. Really like the Saint Edge PDW and Evac models, plus the new Saint Victor 308.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:09:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you found a good LGS. Having the ability to shoot the firearm before leaving the store has its advantages.

Many years ago I bought a new Python for use as a duty weapon from a large sporting goods store. Had a letter from my dept so I was able to walk out the door with it and bypass the 14 day waiting period. When I shot it the first time, the cylinder was tight to the point it was hard to pull the trigger. I didn't notice it at the store when I picked it up.

The guy at the store said they would have to send it back to Colt to be serviced since I had shot it. I recall he was kind of a prick about it. Had to wait a month to get it back.

Good job finding a gun you like and having the shop keeper guide you in the right direction... and being able to try it out before leaving the shop.

AR pistols are a lot of fun. 300blk has been my favorite cartridge in a AR pistol...so far.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I just ordered the Tailhook mod 2 for it.  Liked the idea of not having a Velcro strap to mess with.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:38:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 10mm_Bob:
I just ordered the Tailhook mod 2 for it.  Liked the idea of not having a Velcro strap to mess with.
View Quote

Not only do you not have to use a Velcro strap, but the "hook" part of the brace goes under your arm, where it counters the weight of the pistol much better than braces that fit over the arm and then have to be strapped in place. The Tailhook also is a much better support than any of the braces that merely lay along the side of your forearm like the Shockwave. I've got most of the different braces available, and the Tailhook is the best one on the market when actually being used as a brace for shooting one handed.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Blowout:
Sounds like you found a good LGS. Having the ability to shoot the firearm before leaving the store has its advantages. 

Many years ago I bought a new Python for use as a duty weapon from a large sporting goods store. Had a letter from my dept so I was able to walk out the door with it and bypass the 14 day waiting period. When I shot it the first time, the cylinder was tight to the point it was hard to pull the trigger. I didn't notice it at the store when I picked it up.

The guy at the store said they would have to send it back to Colt to be serviced since I had shot it. I recall he was kind of a prick about it. Had to wait a month to get it back. 

Good job finding a gun you like and having the shop keeper guide you in the right direction... and being able to try it out before leaving the shop. 

AR pistols are a lot of fun. 300blk has been my favorite cartridge in a AR pistol...so far.
View Quote

They really are a good LGS.  Too many people these days don’t realize just how bad the service is at the chains where you might save an extra $20.00, but you don’t get all the extras (like an on-site range, on-staff gunsmiths, GOOD advice from folks who really know their stuff, and the relationships/friendships).  I can ALWAYS get range time thrown in as part of a firearm purchase, and that always offsets any price difference.  I don’t shop anywhere else, as I enjoy supporting my LGS.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top