Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2018 2:46:30 PM EDT
I bought a Wilson Combat "intermediate" gas barrel for my 308 build thinking they simply meant midlength. Realized my mistake after my midlength gas tube came up short.
I did not know this length was a thing.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 3:02:21 PM EDT
[#1]
No, intermediate is not midlength. Yes, it's standardized (1.50" shorter than rifle), although less common.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#2]
An intermediate system shouldn't give me any issues in a 16" .308 build right? Slightly softer shooting compared to mid?
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An intermediate system shouldn't give me any issues in a 16" .308 build right? Slightly softer shooting compared to mid?
View Quote
Guess you'll have to shoot it and find out.
Rifle gas 18's are common.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Shouldn't be any issues if done right.  There is another length, which is the ArmaLite, AR-10 Rifle Length, is about 3/16 inches longer than the standard AR15/everybody elks .308 AR type rifle, rifle length.  The ArmaLite's AR-10 bolt carrier comes with a gas key about a 16th of an inch closer to the front of the bolt carrier.  Gas tube should end in the upper receiver at, or just to the rear of half way past the cutout for the cam pin in the top of the upper receiver.

Link Posted: 6/15/2018 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#5]
It's all together except for the tube and adjustable gas block. Looks amazing!
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Is there not a length betweeen carbine and pistol?

And there is another pistol length.

Also, noveskie uses one in their leonidas that is about an inch shorter than middy
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Tere's also two or three longer than rifle...
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 11:53:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
 Thats right, armalite made one for the cartridges bigger than 308, SAUMs i believe
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 12:25:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have seen an "extended" that IIRC was 2 inches longer than rifle.... used with a 24 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 3:55:13 AM EDT
[#10]
White Oak makes a two and a three inch longer than standard rifle length gas tube.  Mostly for long barreled (24-26 inch) space guns.  and as for the shorty's Im sure there are a few proprietary length as well.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
i would think it would be pretty good on a 16" 308. The KAC length was supposedly originally intended/optimized for a 16" 308, and intermediate is just a little longer.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#12]
The Intermediate gas system on your 16” barrel is pretty much the longest system that will provide reliable functioning.

The distance past the gas port needs to be around 3” or so to allow enough dwell time without underpowering the system.  This is usually something people run into with a carbine gas system on an ultrashort barrel, but the point is the same.

It should be both “softer” and give you a lower cyclic rate of fire.  Whether it is ‘too soft” will depend on your buffer and spring, as well as the ammunition you choose.

In for results...
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No, intermediate is not midlength. Yes, it's standardized (1.50" shorter than rifle), although less common.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58237/gastubes-576789.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58237/comparison6-576801.JPG
View Quote
Your pic needs updating. Apparently there are two Intermediate lengths. 13.25" and 13.75" I keep finding out the hard way. lol
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Your pic needs updating. Apparently there are two Intermediate lengths. 13.25" and 13.75" I keep finding out the hard way. lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58237/gastubes-576789.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58237/comparison6-576801.JPG
The "Intermediate" length as set up and named by Vltor is 1.50 inches shorter than rifle. If someone is making something else, they need to give it some other name.

308's get confusing because if they want to use a standard handguard, the gas tube itself has to be longer than a 5.56 gas tube, ie, the Armalite gas tubes. But since there are no Intermediate handguards, I would think that it would be the same.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The "Intermediate" length as set up and named by Vltor is 1.50 inches shorter than rifle. If someone is making something else, they need to give it some other name.

308's get confusing because if they want to use a standard handguard, the gas tube itself has to be longer than a 5.56 gas tube, ie, the Armalite gas tubes. But since there are no Intermediate handguards, I would think that it would be the same.
View Quote
Wilson Combat uses a 13.25" length for Intermediate. Had to order another gas tube. My third.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wilson Combat uses a 13.25" length for Intermediate. Had to order another gas tube. My third.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like it's a KAC length, or just something they invented, either way they need to call it something else besides "Intermediate" which it isn't.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top