Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/9/2020 9:28:58 PM EDT
Found these on Reddit and thought it was interesting I’ve never seen an A1 with AK mags in it...

Link Posted: 11/9/2020 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't look to be quite deep enough in the magwell to actually be a thing. And the chest rig in the last picture looks to have 20 rd mags in it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Ak mag welded to an AR15 mag.  Generally unreliable.

Used to see some at gun shows back in the day.  Also there are more modern photos of such fraken mags used in the Philippians.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#3]
learned something new today! thanks!
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#4]
you just have to spot weld a AR mag and an AK mag together
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Now that's interesting.
Can I assume that these rifles were 7.62x39? Or was there some other purpose?
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 11:57:02 PM EDT
[#6]
In 1993 that was how all the >10rnd 7.62x39 AR15 mags looked.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 12:02:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Locally made.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 3:03:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now that's interesting.
Can I assume that these rifles were 7.62x39? Or was there some other purpose?
View Quote

the original GI's purpose was to increase capacity
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 3:15:26 AM EDT
[#9]
That dude in the last pic looks like his mom ran up on some Senegalese trooper in the French Foreign Legion that was not too boucoup.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#10]
what is that under the barrel in the last picture?
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
what is that under the barrel in the last picture?
View Quote

Bayonet.  The blade looks like the long grass blades and camouflages it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I think somewhere around here I have an AK drum with an AR mag stub grafted to it. I’ve never used it and it was in some stuff my dad had. Doubt it would ever work but may have to break it out now.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 12:48:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think somewhere around here I have an AK drum with an AR mag stub grafted to it. I’ve never used it and it was in some stuff my dad had. Doubt it would ever work but may have to break it out now.
View Quote

Pending a look at it, that sounds like a Norinco 120 round AR drum magazine. They were based on the Chinese AK drums, but made specifically for the AR. I’ve heard mixed reviews on how well they function, leading me to believe that they may be hit or miss.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 1:24:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That dude in the last pic looks like his mom ran up on some Senegalese trooper in the French Foreign Legion that was not too boucoup.
View Quote

LOL. Yeah, I am not sure if the 'Nards or anyone else in ARVN looked like that.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 6:47:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I’m going to assume that these were not made by welding an aluminum AR magazine to a steel AK magazine. So they must’ve either had the top of the AK mag modified to fit/function in an AR magazine well, or some other steel AR magazine body was welded to the AK magazine.

Wouldn’t it be something if the AK magazines were welded to steel “waffle” magazine bodies? Since the waffle mags were supposed to be scrapped, it wouldn’t be out of the question. Maybe some of the waffle mags were salvaged by enterprising local folks, welded to readily available AK mags, and repurposed into something the G.I.s would buy or trade for.

In the absence of one of these “home-brew” magazines to examine, it’s anyone’s guess how the upper portion of the magazine is constructed.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 8:01:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Every one of those pics above and several more, and other variations of "field expedient" hi cap mags can be found in this thread:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/The_NEW_Real_Deal_AR_15_M_16_retro_picture_thread/123-290812/?
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Pending a look at it, that sounds like a Norinco 120 round AR drum magazine. They were based on the Chinese AK drums, but made specifically for the AR. I’ve heard mixed reviews on how well they function, leading me to believe that they may be hit or miss.
View Quote

I went looking for it last night and found that I had not one but two of them.

You are correct that they are Chinese made with the 36 with a triangle markings. Now I want to load them up and try them out. I had no idea how much they were getting for those things.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 9:45:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I’m going to assume that these were not made by welding an aluminum AR magazine to a steel AK magazine.
View Quote

AL M16 mag to AL AK47 mag.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like a Norinco 120 round drum if its for 223. I got one of dem
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Locally made in Vietnam during the war

Link Posted: 11/11/2020 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Soviets did make a limited amount of aluminum AK magazines, but they were found to be of insufficient durability and were not issued to their own troops. Most of the aluminum AK magazines appear to have been sent to the Middle East. As far as anyone in the West knows, only the Soviets made aluminum AK magazines in any notable quantity.

The Soviet aluminum AK magazines have very distinctive “waffle” reinforcing ribs stamped into their sides. They don’t look at all like the steel Chinese magazines which we are attached to the AR magazines in this thread.

Here is what the Soviet aluminum AK magazines look like:
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The Soviets did make a limited amount of aluminum AK magazines, but they were found to be of insufficient durability and were not issued to their own troops. Most of the aluminum AK magazines appear to have been sent to the Middle East. As far as anyone in the West knows, only the Soviets made aluminum AK magazines in any notable quantity.

The Soviet aluminum AK magazines have very distinctive “waffle” reinforcing ribs stamped into their sides. They don’t look at all like the steel Chinese magazines which we are attached to the AR magazines in this thread.

Here is what the Soviet aluminum AK magazines look like:https://www.gunsamerica.com/userimages/185532/933059086/wm_8847200.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is what the Soviet aluminum AK magazines look like:https://www.gunsamerica.com/userimages/185532/933059086/wm_8847200.jpg

Lots about AK that I don't know.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

the ones we did back in the day (early '80's) were aftermarket steel AR, to surplus steel AK
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 7:40:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

the ones we did back in the day (early '80's) were aftermarket steel AR, to surplus steel AK
View Quote

That I can easily see being done.

Steel M16 mags in Vietnam though, were these readily available? A bit outside of my knowledge base.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Steel M16 mags in Vietnam though, were these readily available? A bit outside of my knowledge base.
View Quote

ran across another pic
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

ran across another pic
https://i.imgur.com/BIDzRL5.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ran across another pic
https://i.imgur.com/BIDzRL5.jpg

Man, that angle at transition is steep.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top