User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/3/2021 9:27:09 PM EDT
Help me decide.

I already have 11.5in and 16in caliber 5.56

buying a new lower and upper from AERO in FDE.

BUT
I can’t decide if I should do a 18in Douglas/Krieger barreled MK12ish build with correct AEM5 and Ops inc with Vortex Razor 1-10, Atlas.
OR
9in .300 Blk out with Surefire suppressor, rest undecided probably Centurion rail.

I will spend the next year+ to build this with premier USA made parts and then move to other platforms as #3 ARs is enough...Maybe AR10 6.5c

I’m a lifelong firearms enthusiast, it’s not for any direct purpose but I do think hunting whitetail deer ?? or hogs would be really nice experience and I wonder about the .223 for humane kills, maybe I should not worry about the cartridge.

What would you do considering this will cost upwards of $4000, I am a normal person money wise, hence the year build. I just want a suppressed build and I’ve heard MK12 is quietest 5.56 can be and of course .300blk is made for subs.

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an 8" DD 300 BLK suppressed with a Surefire can.

She's a keeper. I vote that.

Suppressing a 5.56 is stupid in my opinion (and I have one of those too). It goes from fighter-jet-100'-away loud to -freight-train-100'-away loud. Quieter. But not quiet.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
300 blk is the only rifle round that suppresses worth a damn. suppressors on 5.56 are borderline hearing unsafe at best.

in addition, you can remove the suppressor and have something shorter than your 11" 5.56 and still has far better terminal ballistics (ie, wounding)

you already have a 16", getting an 18" doesn't open any new doors for you
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the AEM5 now while you still can.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:18:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Snip... as #3 ARs is enough...

I’m a lifelong firearms enthusiast snip

View Quote

Ahem, no you're not.
You're mildly interested.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way,  I love 300 blk, but I'd say an 18" or 20" 5.56 is needed first.  Especially if you won't have any other 300 blk guns.

If it's purely for suppressed though, 300 blk is really fun and versatile...so I guess I'm torn and we've clearly decided 3 AR's is not enough.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:43:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I love my blackouts...
But let me ask you....how much money do you have put away for ammo?
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:46:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:24:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Get the AEM5 while you can because they are not going to be making them anymore from my understanding.

After that get the Surefire 300sps.

Slowly work on both from there on out.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:31:22 AM EDT
[#8]
That is a good idea, especially since it takes a long time to actually “get” the cans. I could build out something while I waited.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:42:29 AM EDT
[#9]
LoL “mildly interested”
I’m just in my EARLY 30s, so as far as I’ve been, had first Remington 870 at 8 yes old,
Owned: Sig P220 45acp, Colt 6920, Colt 6933, PSA 16in, Glock 19,43,45 and .270 Winchester ATR.
I’m trying man I’m trying, working on enthusiast I guess. My dad had an Israeli Uzi with burst and different barrels he could change and some old school .357 magnum revolvers from Smith and Wesson and Colt that got me started.
The 870 and trap shooting got me started.

I probably should just work on them both, wow...I will be single soon. ???? I guess I want to be able to shoot hogs at night and not disturb the people around me because everyone seems to HAVE CANS! I always thought it was to much trouble and I hate asking Uncle Sam for my permissions slip but with the current aura I think better get one while I “can”
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 8:31:45 AM EDT
[#10]
If you are attracted to clones/inspired builds that feel like they have some historical significance or something, do the MK12. As parts become rare and harder to find you will be kicking yourself for not starting earlier. Though the complete MK12 rifle is very effective, many of the parts have been made somewhat obsolete by other parts that can do the same thing for cheaper/lighter, so parts will eventually be discontinued and become difficult to find.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:48:30 PM EDT
[#11]
As someone who has both, and as many have echoed already, get that AEM5 going asap or possibly miss out forever. Then build a mk12 mod h, its my favorite ar and quietest can. Then you can get any number of 30 cal cans going for any builds after that like a 300blk.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are attracted to clones/inspired builds that feel like they have some historical significance or something, do the MK12. As parts become rare and harder to find you will be kicking yourself for not starting earlier. Though the complete MK12 rifle is very effective, many of the parts have been made somewhat obsolete by other parts that can do the same thing for cheaper/lighter, so parts will eventually be discontinued and become difficult to find.
View Quote

Hmm I was interested in the MK12 because I had heard it was the quietest best toned, reliable suppressed 5.56
What cans would you recommend that are perhaps newer and better overall?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Would you say the AEM5 is the best 5.56 can and if not what would you say is?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
buying a new lower and upper from AERO in FDE.
View Quote

I did an Aero Upper and Lower in FDE from them and paired it with a SLR Rifleworks handguard that you can order from them in FDE.  Combined that with Magpul FDE MBUS sights, a Hogue FDE pistol grip, and a FDE stock (Strike Industries Viper).  Also got some of the small parts (forward assist, mag release, safety selector, takedown pins, charging handle) in FDE.  Sharp looking rifle.

I built 2 uppers for mine....8.5" .300 Blackout and 14.5" 5.56mm.  I almost never shoot the 5.56 upper.  Go with the .300 BO.  Or do both.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#15]
300blk’s shine with short bbl’s when compared to 5.56.  They more efficiently burn their powder with the larger bore.

But,  as Clint said “ The 300 is basically like throwing around kitchen sinks!”

300 gets my vote
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I did an Aero Upper and Lower in FDE from them and paired it with a SLR Rifleworks handguard that you can order from them in FDE.  Combined that with Magpul FDE MBUS sights, a Hogue FDE pistol grip, and a FDE stock (Strike Industries Viper).  Also got some of the small parts (forward assist, mag release, safety selector, takedown pins, charging handle) in FDE.  Sharp looking rifle.

I built 2 uppers for mine....8.5" .300 Blackout and 14.5" 5.56mm.  I almost never shoot the 5.56 upper.  Go with the .300 BO.  Or do both.
View Quote

I’d like to see photos of that FDE build.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#17]
EDIT:  Hmmm....my linked image isn't displaying....
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:50:40 AM EDT
[#18]
The more I look into .300 blk the more it seems like a “range toy” I normally stick to well respected calibers in use by military but what does everybody think about that? I’m not denying the adequate stopping power for home defense or hogs but wondering why no Mil/LEO has picked the caliber up.
I’m also seeing it’s incredibly expensive to shoot, I like to shoot outdoors and 300 rounds plus in a day. Hasn’t happened for a year but I’d hope it will soon.

Mk12 has a long history and I guess I could not do a clone and get a Surefire can that would adapt to not only the 18in but my other weapons as well.
If you could by one can for 5.56/308 any brand what would it be and why?
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Suppressed .300 blackout.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The more I look into .300 blk the more it seems like a “range toy”
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The more I look into .300 blk the more it seems like a “range toy”

Quoted:
I’m not denying the adequate stopping power for home defense or hogs but wondering why no Mil/LEO has picked the caliber up.

You're right, I guess if you ever invade europe you will encounter some supply chain issues. But then if your concern is home defense, I guess you've already determined it works.

Link Posted: 3/6/2021 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You're right, I guess if you ever invade europe you will encounter some supply chain issues. But then if your concern is home defense, I guess you've already determined it works.

View Quote

Is it true the only thing needed to make a 5.56 into a .300 blackout is a .300 blk barrel?
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The more I look into .300 blk the more it seems like a “range toy” I normally stick to well respected calibers in use by military but what does everybody think about that? I’m not denying the adequate stopping power for home defense or hogs but wondering why no Mil/LEO has picked the caliber up.
I’m also seeing it’s incredibly expensive to shoot, I like to shoot outdoors and 300 rounds plus in a day. Hasn’t happened for a year but I’d hope it will soon.

Mk12 has a long history and I guess I could not do a clone and get a Surefire can that would adapt to not only the 18in but my other weapons as well.
If you could by one can for 5.56/308 any brand what would it be and why?
View Quote

AAC took the 300 Whisper and turned it into .300blk on behalf of a US military customer....it is a mission specific caliber.....not a general purpose caliber.

What do you want to do with the weapon, because .300blk and a Mk12 are on opposite ends of the spectrum?   Will your Mk12 be a lot different than your current 16" 5.56?  Is your 11.5" 5.56 already your home defense weapon?

Link Posted: 3/6/2021 8:54:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Is it true the only thing needed to make a 5.56 into a .300 blackout is a .300 blk barrel?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

1. Barrel
2. Muzzle device (I like KAK micro flash cans).
3. Pistol length gas tube for all but 16" barrels...I also grab a new gas block. Easier to go with a new one instead of trying to remove the roll pin from the old one.
4. Boat load of $$$ for ammo (or reload)
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 10:59:02 PM EDT
[#25]
People love to talk shit on the 300BLK round but the fact is it carries FAR more energy than a 556 and is just as capable inside 300 meters depending on barrel length. At a distance, projectile weight becomes an issue. The heavier projectiles are increasingly useless despite how hollywood quiet they are. IMO the point of shooting someone is to eliminate them as efficiently as possible (causing the most amount of damage in the least amount of time) and if you are using 220gr projectiles you might as well be using 9mm from a handgun.

The idea that all powder gets burned inside 9" of barrel length should tell you exactly what you need to know about how critically the person repeating such a thought is capable of thinking. The simple fact that the many different powders available burn at many different rates makes this myth truly one of naivete.

That said 556 out of a decent barrel will keep it's velocity and it's energy at greater distances (300-700).

So do you want this weapon to engage inside 300m or outside? My suggestion is get both because they do different things, and stock up on 300blk 110gr-125gr ammo for the best terminal ballistics offered by the cartridge.

I have a 300blk built specifically for shooting humans. (In self defense)
I have 556 rifles for shooting humans (In self defense) and training.

Watch these videos for some good insight on the rounds:
P&S ModCast 4-3 300 Blk v 556 Subsonic

The Best 300BLK Barrel Length & All Things 300 Blackout Answered
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Energy doesn’t have much to do with much.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 11:09:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Energy doesn’t have much to do with much.
View Quote

I'm out
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm out
View Quote

Good. When you see a wound channel from a 7.62x39 you’ll know.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 2:39:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm out

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 2:59:29 AM EDT
[#30]
The Kalashnikov has more energy than an M16. Which one does more damage?
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 3:27:55 AM EDT
[#31]

Get a 13.7-13.9” or 14.5” 5.56 instead of the 2 choices you listed. Or an LR308.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 3:49:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

You talking about buttstroking now?
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#33]
MCX is a 300blk option.

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You talking about buttstroking now?
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just can't stay out of this, considering the x39 rounds are designed to tumble to deal damage and the 556 and 300 rounds are designed to deform to transfer energy I think the point you're attempting to make is a moot one.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#36]
I’ve shot and seen stuff shot with expanding 7.62x39 and 300BLK also. It’s not dramatic.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I just can't stay out of this, considering the x39 rounds are designed to tumble to deal damage and the 556 and 300 rounds are designed to deform to transfer energy I think the point you're attempting to make is a moot one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny, I always heard it was those little wussy 55gr .22s that're designed to enter a NV's calf, tumble, take a left at Albuquerque, tumble up into the NV's chest and explode out their shoulder.

Guess you just can't trust Special Forces you meet at gunshops these days. Sad really.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm not denying the adequate stopping power for home defense or hogs but wondering why no Mil/LEO has picked the caliber up.
I'm also seeing it's incredibly expensive to shoot.
View Quote

https://www.guns.com/news/2020/07/24/dod-picks-hornady-300-blackout-for-cqb-use

For most military needs, 5.56 gets the job done, though there is some limited .300 Blackout use in the military.
Law Enforcement, it's "expensive to shoot" answers that.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Unless you have both the strong desire and budget to build a .300 into an MP5SD replacement sort of weapon, I would go with the Mk12.  But do it 16", even though you already have a 16", because it's just handier and you're not giving up much.

Blackout will be cheap to shoot some day, but today is not that day and tomorrow is not looking good either.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 1:21:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Guys thanks for the replies, I’m not giving up on either of them. I have already gotten one upper and one lower and will be getting another set too.
Both builds will happen.

The suppressed .300 will be in Rhodesian brush stoke with a factory OD lower and factory FDE upper, the entire firearm will be cerakoted professionally with brushstroke.

The MK 12 will be Douglas or Krieger barrel 18in from compass lake. They will share the can. Until I can get another one. I plan to spend the next year to build them piece by piece.
I’ve decided not to do a clone so the ops inc and AEM5 are out, it’s just outdated, as cool as it is, I genuinely love the look of the 18in with a tripod and it makes a nice DMR.

These firearms are for collecting. I have home defense firearms for use. I will use them but they will be pristine examples of using my hands and creating something “creative”, at time I will hunt with them, Hogs, coyote, perhaps whitetail, which is why I want to be suppressed, for respect shooting at night. Eventually get a entry level thermal or Gen 3 PVS14 style Night observation device.

I watch Mrgunsngear and I really think I may do a 13.7/14.5 (.300 blk) pin and weld to legal 16in so I can add a legitimate stock.
I’m not sure but that is the most fun part, “making things”

BTW my home defense is a Gen 5 G45 9mm 17rd with an extra (2) 33rd mags in the bedside table drawer, I would never use a rifle inside the home for any reason. For my area it would be unsafe for others surrounding me. I have hearing protection hanging on my wall above my bed if needed and a weapon mounted light and night sites on the G45.

My current 11.5 is a Colt commando complete upper (factory) on a personally built PSA  “M4 safe, semi, burst” lower, Daniel Defense LPK so I could have it be a pistol w/ SBA3.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:02:42 AM EDT
[#42]
everyone should own a 300BO

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/11/2021 4:26:46 AM EDT
[#43]

LOLWUT

Please explain.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 4:34:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The MK 12 will be Douglas or Krieger barrel 18in from compass lake. They will share the can. Until I can get another one. I plan to spend the next year to build them piece by piece.
View Quote

No OPS Inc/AE muzzle device, so let's drop the MK12 and call it a SPR.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 6:49:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

LOLWUT

Please explain.
View Quote

300 will chamber and fire in a 5.56, but just the first time.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 7:49:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
300 will chamber and fire in a 5.56, but just the first time.
View Quote

Only if the bullet gets pushed back into the case.

I know, I know... It's happens every time someone screws up and loads the wrong mag.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Guys thanks for the replies, I'm not giving up on either of them. I have already gotten one upper and one lower and will be getting another set too.
Both builds will happen.

The suppressed .300 will be in Rhodesian brush stoke with a factory OD lower and factory FDE upper, the entire firearm will be cerakoted professionally with brushstroke.

I've decided not to do a clone so the ops inc and AEM5 are out, it's just outdated, as cool as it is, I genuinely love the look of the 18in with a tripod and it makes a nice DMR.

These firearms are for collecting. I have home defense firearms for use. I will use them but they will be pristine examples of using my hands and creating something "creative", at time I will hunt with them, Hogs, coyote, perhaps whitetail, which is why I want to be suppressed, for respect shooting at night. Eventually get a entry level thermal or Gen 3 PVS14 style Night observation device.

I watch Mrgunsngear and I really think I may do a 13.7/14.5 (.300 blk) pin and weld to legal 16in so I can add a legitimate stock.
I'm not sure but that is the most fun part, "making things"

BTW my home defense is a Gen 5 G45 9mm 17rd with an extra (2) 33rd mags in the bedside table drawer, I would never use a rifle inside the home for any reason. For my area it would be unsafe for others surrounding me. I have hearing protection hanging on my wall above my bed if needed and a weapon mounted light and night sites on the G45.

My current 11.5 is a Colt commando complete upper (factory) on a personally built PSA  "M4 safe, semi, burst" lower, Daniel Defense LPK so I could have it be a pistol w/ SBA3.
View Quote

You might be surprised if you looked at 9mm vs 5.56 penetration of common residential construction.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#48]
I’ve considered the penetration 9mm vs 5.56 and even though my defense rounds are hornady 75grain T2 or Blackhills 77gr. I still believe the Underwood 9mm to be better suited, the buildings here are mostly CBS (concrete block) but I just feel like it would be better suited to use a common defense caliber such as 9mm, even though they are Underwood +P+ LoL, I just love high grade ammo, feel like it’s the “tire” of the gun world, best tires you can get make the most difference on a track same for defense, 9mm FML at 990 or 9mm at 1300-1500 fps, it’s almost like a different caliber, I even have some “Underwood extreme penetrators” in case the bad guys hide behind my neighbors fridge.

Tbh I’ve really considered loading the first 5 rounds with Frangible Ammo but don’t know the brand to use for that and don’t want to be caught off guard, shot placement is key, I can hit a pumpkin at 75yards with the iron sites back when ammo was cheaper, I’d actually shoot. Miss those days.

What does everyone think of the Rhodesian theme with arid:green tones?
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Frangible ammunition is a poor choice. So is choosing a handgun when you could have a rifle.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#50]
IMO you are pursuing two of the most enjoyable configurations in the AR platform.

The AEM5 is a stud for suppressed 5.56. It seriously doesn't get any better. Any recce or SPR type setup with that can is going to be a joy to shoot.

Subsonic .300 BLK is also a NFA dream configuration as you can combine short barrels and quiet. Helps me channel my inner mall ninja.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top