Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Just got mine today and installed in a jig. I noticed the two disconnectors where not equal length on the "nose hook" of the top engagement area, the binary on was shorter (not sure if this is normal is any of yours like this?).
The trigger works well firing on semi but on binary the release 2nd shot on release is so short since the disconnector is shorter that I am unsure if I will be able to flip it back to semi so as not to release the second shot using my firing hand like I can my Franklin trigger when flipping the safety. I barely start letting pressure off when holding the trigger back and it releases, I'll have to make some time to field test it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just got mine today and installed in a jig. I noticed the two disconnectors where not equal length on the "nose hook" of the top engagement area, the binary on was shorter (not sure if this is normal is any of yours like this?).
The trigger works well firing on semi but on binary the release 2nd shot on release is so short since the disconnector is shorter that I am unsure if I will be able to flip it back to semi so as not to release the second shot using my firing hand like I can my Franklin trigger when flipping the safety. I barely start letting pressure off when holding the trigger back and it releases, I'll have to make some time to field test it.
View Quote

I think it's meant to be this way, however the hammer doesn't interact with that part of the disconnector. Both of mine came that way. I think it's like this by design.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I think it's meant to be this way, however the hammer doesn't interact with that part of the disconnector. Both of mine came that way. I think it's like this by design.
View Quote
Thanks for the info. Not sure if we are talking about the same area though as it definitely does interact with it on mine.
thumbnail_IMG_7256 by Stuart Boyer, on Flickr

https://youtu.be/CyeF9i59_P0
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 7:31:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried these in an MPX yet?  Will the stock anvil fit with this trigger?
View Quote

Just for shits and giggles, I tried the ITF trigger with the factory MPX hammer in a jig.  It worked perfect, however the trigger bridge with have to be relieved a little to allow the 2 disconnectors instead of one.  I plan on milling a relief cut on the bridge, however my mill vise is occupied with another project and I don't want to tear it down.  Hopefully next week I can get it done and report back.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Just noticed after trying the JP spring that occasionally in binary mode the trigger would rest on release like its in semi mode instead of firing. Switched the springs back and noticed its now doing it even with the provided springs. Double checked install and its in right. I noted that slowly letting off the trigger would fire but quickly jerking my finger off would cause it not to fire. Weird. Has less than 50 dry fires on it. I'll round up some ammo and when I'm not on duty try to run to the range and see if it does this with live rounds.

EDIT: Installed in a Aero and PSA lower while i wait for the range to be usable. Dry fired with upper attached and will not fire in binary but once every 15 or so times on release. Contacting the maker now.

EDIT 2: figured out the issue. The two disconnectors though installed correctly are separating from each other. When I install it in the jig a can see it happening and I can reach in and push them back together which when I do that it operates like its supposed too.
thumbnail_IMG_7258 by Stuart Boyer, on Flickr

Manufacturer is telling me all this is normal. Said it just need more oil and more break in time before it functions normally. Wondering though as it worked fine before and is now not and the fact its eating a lot of ammo for a break in at range now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just noticed after trying the JP spring that occasionally in binary mode the trigger would rest on release like its in semi mode instead of firing. Switched the springs back and noticed its now doing it even with the provided springs. Double checked install and its in right. I noted that slowly letting off the trigger would fire but quickly jerking my finger off would cause it not to fire. Weird. Has less than 50 dry fires on it. I'll round up some ammo and when I'm not on duty try to run to the range and see if it does this with live rounds.

EDIT: Installed in a Aero and PSA lower while i wait for the range to be usable. Dry fired with upper attached and will not fire in binary but once every 15 or so times on release. Contacting the maker now.

EDIT 2: figured out the issue. The two disconnectors though installed correctly are separating from each other. When I install it in the jig a can see it happening and I can reach in and push them back together which when I do that it operates like its supposed too.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50404397878_bb8d151421_z.jpgthumbnail_IMG_7258 by Stuart Boyer, on Flickr

Manufacturer is telling me all this is normal. Said it just need more oil and more break in time before it functions normally. Wondering though as it worked fine before and is now not and the fact its eating a lot of ammo for a break in at range now.
View Quote

Mine did that for a minute. Naturally timing the disconnectors fixed it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Mine did that for a minute. Naturally timing the disconnectors fixed it.
View Quote
So you think I should keep just shooting and letting it break in naturally or do I need to manually time it?
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Just for shits and giggles, I tried the ITF trigger with the factory MPX hammer in a jig.  It worked perfect, however the trigger bridge with have to be relieved a little to allow the 2 disconnectors instead of one.  I plan on milling a relief cut on the bridge, however my mill vise is occupied with another project and I don't want to tear it down.  Hopefully next week I can get it done and report back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has anyone tried these in an MPX yet?  Will the stock anvil fit with this trigger?

If you could post a pic of your modification afterwards, I’d appreciate it!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone going to be doing any videos?
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Anyone going to be doing any videos?
View Quote
I might once I get mine working. 150-200 rounds and still malfunctioning. Will not go on safe if holding back the trigger and switching from binary as it will still fire.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I might once I get mine working. 150-200 rounds and still malfunctioning. Will not go on safe if holding back the trigger and switching from binary as it will still fire.
View Quote

You mean it fires in the safe position or the selector won't budge?
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You mean it fires in the safe position or the selector won't budge?
View Quote

You're not supposed to do that.

What he's saying is it is is binary mode and instead of flipping it to semi and releasing, he flips it from binary to safe and it fires. Both of mine do that too. I'm pretty sure that's in the design.

You should do Fire in Binary -> switch to semi -> release -> switch to safe.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What he's saying is it is is binary mode and instead of flipping it to semi and releasing, he flips it from binary to safe and it fires. Both of mine do that too. I'm pretty sure that's in the design.

View Quote

Not too big of a fan of that... same thing that turned me off of the AK Boogie Hook.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 3:37:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep I fire in binary switch to semi and release and it fires. It fires as soon as I release like its in binary but that's strange as it wont fire on release in binary most of the time.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#16]
When I first mentioned to the maker I thought I had an issue with mine being out of spec he replied in like 10 minutes stating it was fine and to let it break in with live fire but since I followed his direction and let it "break in" and am still having issues he hasn't responded in 4 days. I am assuming he doesn't answer emails on weekends but for now I bought a really expensive mil spec pull weight trigger.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 10:32:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When I first mentioned to the maker I thought I had an issue with mine being out of spec he replied in like 10 minutes stating it was fine and to let it break in with live fire but since I followed his direction and let it "break in" and am still having issues he hasn't responded in 4 days. I am assuming he doesn't answer emails on weekends but for now I bought a really expensive mil spec pull weight trigger.
View Quote

Have you done any modifications?

The thing with this system is that it does need some break in or polishing. It's running off a free floated hammer that has some "play" as a result of the FA safety and 2 disconnectors. I've now tried my Anderson hammer, 2 JP speed hammers, and the stock hammers and had no issues after many dry fires. I have now tried JP yellow and standard trigger springs, and JP red and yellow, and standard hammer springs.

I had the same issue as you at first.  I found the issue youve been describing to be the hammer sear engagement area on the JP hammers and the Anderson hammer. I had no issues with the hammers these came with. It would only release binary if I released the trigger slowly.  Try polishing the hammer sear engagement area with 1000 grit or more and then finish off with some light flitz. I had to do that and test and back and forth with install untill I found the sweet spot. I did polish the other areas necessary, but the area that made this work 100% was the sear engagement area

On another note, my BAD Pro FA safety selector works.  It made my triggers around .25 - .5 lbs less. Don't ask me how. I have no clue how this would effect that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Have you done any modifications?

The thing with this system is that it does need some break in or polishing. It's running off a free floated hammer that has some "play" as a result of the FA safety and 2 disconnectors. I've now tried my Anderson hammer, 2 JP speed hammers, and the stock hammers and had no issues after many dry fires. I have now tried JP yellow and standard trigger springs, and JP red and yellow, and standard hammer springs.

I had the same issue as you at first.  I found the issue youve been describing to be the hammer sear engagement area on the JP hammers and the Anderson hammer. I had no issues with the hammers these came with. It would only release binary if I released the trigger slowly.  Try polishing the hammer sear engagement area with 1000 grit or more and then finish off with some light flitz. I had to do that and test and back and forth with install untill I found the sweet spot. I did polish the other areas necessary, but the area that made this work 100% was the sear engagement area

On another note, my BAD Pro FA safety selector works.  It made my triggers around .25 - .5 lbs less. Don't ask me how. I have no clue how this would effect that.
View Quote
No I haven't modified anything yet and got a complete kit with his hammers etc. I was awaiting reply from him before I did anything that would make it so that he may not honor return if its faulty. When its in the jig It works flawless if I push from the side to close the gap between the disconnectors so I think they are out of spec shape wise and the gap between the two is too wide.
My main issue is the firing on release when changing from binary to semi to cancel the second shot. Did yours do that? I dont wanna do any work before that issue is addressed as polish may not fix that and the ability to cancel binary is necessary.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#19]
The fact that this guy isn't offering factory complete and ready drop in trigger units, with a BS excuse as to why, proves that he doesn't want the liability for his half baked and legally ambiguous product.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 12:43:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No I haven't modified anything yet and got a complete kit with his hammers etc. I was awaiting reply from him before I did anything that would make it so that he may not honor return if its faulty. When its in the jig It works flawless if I push from the side to close the gap between the disconnectors so I think they are out of spec shape wise and the gap between the two is too wide.
My main issue is the firing on release when changing from binary to semi to cancel the second shot. Did yours do that? I dont wanna do any work before that issue is addressed as polish may not fix that and the ability to cancel binary is necessary.
View Quote

Mine did not do that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Mind did not do that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mind did not do that.
Just got it working. Tried out a spare DPMS wide spur hammer that had been modified to a speed hammer by Bill Springfield about 15 or more years ago and it works flawless after only about six dry fires it broke in. I'll still have to try testing live fire fire on the cancelling the second shot but it appears that the hammer supplied by ITF is no good.

ahrion thanks to your post on the polishing it made me think to look closer at the hammer and decide to change it out, appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought 2 JSE triggers and 2 ITF binaries. I even tried a JP trigger, but I couldn't use that one after modifying it.

I just finished modifying a JSE adjustable trigger (Mega Arms) and I had to do some slight dremel work around the trigger pin area to get the two disconnectors to fit, in addition to sear engagement areas. They were having issues in binary until I polished them really really good. At first it would only fire in binary when resetting slowwwllyy.  Flitz/buffing wheel fixed that and I'm not too scared of Flitz and buffing wheel when Flitz is like 3 microns.  I also had to use the dremel to drill the second disconnector spring for the trigger. I also remove the "back" of the trigger to make it look less ugly. Removing the M16 engagement area for binary wasn't necessary because it was already removed.

The trigger has adjustments for pre travel and overtravel. It yields 2 lbs semi & 3 lbs binary with JP yellow trigger spring and jp yellow hammer spring. It yields 2.5 lbs semi & 3.5 lbs binary with JP yellow trigger spring and jp red hammer spring. I haven't tried stock trigger springs, but I assume it will yield 0.5 lbs+ with it.  The adjustment screws allows this trigger to feel like a competition trigger after you polish real good. Adjusting pre travel too much obviously causes the trigger to not reset. Adjusting the overtravel causes the binary mode to not engagement disconnector and get hammer follow which will result in a malfunction.

I used a Battle Arms Development pro m16 safety assembly and I also used a JP speed hammer. I had to file the sear engagement area slightly because it was clearly rough and uneven. I then polished the areas real good, including the dissconecter hook area.

Link Posted: 11/8/2020 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I received an email today from ITF regarding my pending order. It ended with the following blurb concerning ITF and Franklin Armory. I don't own a Franklin BFS, just followed the prior discussions here so I can't really speak to it. I'm just throwing this up in case anybody wants to comment.

ITF Company update,

Over the last year, Franklin Armory has been trying to force me or of business with threats from their lawyers and a personal threat from their CEO telling me he knows my address. An email from his lawyer last month said they will be filing a lawsuit in PA court to sue me for patent infringement if I don't stop selling my triggers. As part of the lawsuit, they are also trying to get a court order stopping me from bringing to market the MP5 and AK47 binary triggers that I am currently working on and to take my house, cars, and everything I personally own for restitution and to cover their legal fees. If you own one of my triggers you already know they are nothing like any trigger Franklin has ever made or sold. If they go through with it I don't know how well I would do against a Co. with unlimited money at their disposal.

Thank you,

Bob Gallagher
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I received an email today from ITF regarding my pending order. It ended with the following blurb concerning ITF and Franklin Armory. I don't own a Franklin BFS, just followed the prior discussions here so I can't really speak to it. I'm just throwing this up in case anybody wants to comment.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

ITF Company update,

Over the last year, Franklin Armory has been trying to force me or of business with threats from their lawyers and a personal threat from their CEO telling me he knows my address. An email from his lawyer last month said they will be filing a lawsuit in PA court to sue me for patent infringement if I don't stop selling my triggers. As part of the lawsuit, they are also trying to get a court order stopping me from bringing to market the MP5 and AK47 binary triggers that I am currently working on and to take my house, cars, and everything I personally own for restitution and to cover their legal fees. If you own one of my triggers you already know they are nothing like any trigger Franklin has ever made or sold. If they go through with it I don't know how well I would do against a Co. with unlimited money at their disposal.

Thank you,

Bob Gallagher

That's fucking horrible. The owner is a good guy, and does not deserve that crap. Not to mention that the design is completely different from anything they offer. Going after a small company because they found another way to skin the cat is pretty low in my book. The effect is the same in the end, but mechanically they have nothing to do with each other.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's fucking horrible. The owner is a good guy, and does not deserve that crap. Not to mention that the design is completely different from anything they offer. Going after a small company because they found another way to skin the cat is pretty low in my book. The effect is the same in the end, but mechanically they have nothing to do with each other.
View Quote

I also got this email.  I agree it's really fucked up. I'm not sure on patent law or if he violated their patents. However, being a good guy isn't reason enough to not be sued if so.

I kind of think this is messed up for Franklin Armory to sue. It's petty, but what are they claiming he violated?
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 8:23:38 PM EDT
[#26]
The irony of Franklin threatening to sue ITF is not lost on me after some of the posts here on AR15.com a member who I believe was the the first person to develop an original AR15 binary trigger. The posts were in the Franklin Armory binary trigger thread.

Edited to clarify and update now that FranklinArmory weighed in with additional information.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 10:23:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Got the email as well.  I never knew fostech sued Franklin over patent infringement.  That’s pretty damn funny.  Out of the three triggers, I’d place the Franklin at the bottom.  Had 2 and removed them both due to issues.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 11:21:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Got the email as well.  I never knew fostech sued Franklin over patent infringement.  That’s pretty damn funny.  Out of the three triggers, I’d place the Franklin at the bottom.  Had 2 and removed them both due to issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

For clarity, there may have been a settlement/determination behind the scenes but clearly something was up.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/New-three-position-trigger-from-Franklin-Armory-Update-testing-underway/118-666636/&page=39#i7081678
Quoted:
I am the inventor and patent holder of the dual mode trigger. I have been working on the concept since 2010.  I patented the trigger, applied for patents in 2012, have received two patents on the trigger received in 2014.
http://www.google.com/patents/US8667881

I also received BATF approval in 2014 for my trigger prototype.  If you search my post history, you can see I was on here looking for manufacturers.  I rather naively believed that my patents would protect me.  I have since assigned my patents to Fostech, who refined the design and are introducing the trigger as the ECHO trigger.

Franklin Armory has copied my concept, has infringed on my second patent, and to the best of my knowledge has not received a BATF approval letter (correct me if I am wrong).  In this video of my prototype:
Prototype BATF-FTB approved patent pending AR-15 trigger group, .223 upper.

If you read the comments, you can see where Franklin Armory is trying to get me to release and post my BATF approval letter (back in 2014).  

I am not going to tell you how to spend your money, just had to correct the erroneous assumption that Franklin Armory brought this concept to fruition and is the inventor of this trigger, and that Fostech is a copycat.  It is actually the other way round.  Franklin just got theirs out first. Fostech has been assigned my patents and I am working with them.   I am not going to go into what I think of Franklin Armory, but I can tell you that Fostech DID NOT copy Franklins concept as many here seem to assume.

There's more in the thread, including some responses from Franklin Armory.

Franklin also has their own patents, and looking at them online, they do seem different from what ITF is selling so hopefully ITF can survive but I'm no patent expert.  ITF's design also looks different from Fostech and Mr. Hawbaker's design but again, I'm not a patent attorney.

Edited to clarify and update now that FranklinArmory weighed in with additional information.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

For clarity, there may have been a settlement behind the scenes but clearly something was up.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/New-three-position-trigger-from-Franklin-Armory-Update-testing-underway/118-666636/&page=39#i7081678

There's more in the thread, included some responses from Franklin Armory.

Franklin also has their own patents, and looking at them online, they do seem different from what ITF is selling so hopefully ITF can survive but I'm no patent expert.  ITF's design also looks different from Fostech and Mr. Hawbaker's design but again, I'm not a patent attorney.
View Quote

I mean of that's the case depending on Fostech or Franklin, wouldn't that be prior art?

The only reason franklin would be super cucks about it is if they we're losing business to ITF imo.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 12:01:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The fact that this guy isn't offering factory complete and ready drop in trigger units, with a BS excuse as to why, proves that he doesn't want the liability for his half baked and legally ambiguous product.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's not completely correct. The 80% triggers are only shipped to states that ban binary triggers. It's stated on Bob's home page:

Binary Triggers Cannot be shipped to The following states: California, Washington DC, Iowa, North Dakota, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Washington, Hawaii, Rhode Island, Florida, and Connecticut have laws banning the sale of binary triggers. If you live in one of the states listed above, you will be shipped an 80% complete trigger.

He'd be foolish to ship 100% completed units into those states and risk possible legal action. He's following a prudent course of action. It's his neck on the line, not yours. So no "BS excuse" that I can see. If you're not in those listed states you get a finished drop in unit. I'm in GA and binary triggers aren't banned here. Mine came today and the trigger channel is fully open and ready to install with no further machining needed on my part. The rest of your comment is fairly subjective but that's your opinion.

Link Posted: 11/14/2020 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's not completely correct. The 80% triggers are only shipped to states that ban binary triggers. It's stated on Bob's home page:

He'd be foolish to ship 100% completed units into those states and risk possible legal action. He's following a prudent course of action. It's his neck on the line, not yours. So no "BS excuse" that I can see. If you're not in those listed states you get a finished drop in unit. I'm in GA and binary triggers aren't banned here. Mine came today and the trigger channel is fully open and ready to install with no further machining needed on my part. The rest of your comment is fairly subjective but that's your opinion.

View Quote
I live in Georgia and bought the ITF binary and it was 80% for me too not fully ready to go. The orgiinal trigger was bad and Bob replace it and its working now but on both I had to finish the channel.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#32]
If you're interested in one of these triggers, you'd better hurry up and order. I just found this lawsuit filing:

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/pennsylvania/paedce/2:2020cv05681/578114

EDIT: After looking at Franklin's patent, I don't see where ITF's design is a ripoff of it. It seems to me that the binary aspect of the designs work on different principles and the rest of the design is all free-and-clear prior art. I'm no legal expert, but I know patents are supposed to be for the implementation of an idea, not the idea itself.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:01:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If you're interested in one of these triggers, you'd better hurry up and order. I just found this lawsuit filing:

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/pennsylvania/paedce/2:2020cv05681/578114

EDIT: After looking at Franklin's patent, I don't see where ITF's design is a ripoff of it. It seems to me that the binary aspect of the designs work on different principles and the rest of the design is all free-and-clear prior art. I'm no legal expert, but I know patents are supposed to be for the implementation of an idea, not the idea itself.
View Quote

They likely just want this guy to drown in attorney fees.

I feel bad for the guy. Makes me have a different outlook on Franklin.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:10:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They likely just want this guy to drown in attorney fees.

I feel bad for the guy. Makes me have a different outlook on Franklin.
View Quote

I’m tempted to start up a GoFundMe campaign for his legal fees. I doubt it would get many contributions though; ITF is still mostly unknown.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Binary Triggers Cannot be shipped to The following states: California, Washington DC, Iowa, North Dakota, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Washington, Hawaii, Rhode Island, Florida, and Connecticut have laws banning the sale of binary triggers. If you live in one of the states listed above, you will be shipped an 80% complete trigger.

Ok, so me living in a free state, can I order and receive a fully functioning drop in binary trigger unit from him or not?  Last I read, you had to supply your own full auto lower parts components, which puts you in very skeezy legal territory, IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Ok, so me living in a free state, can I order and receive a fully functioning drop in binary trigger unit from him or not?  Last I read, you had to supply your own full auto lower parts components, which puts you in very skeezy legal territory, IMHO.
View Quote

To my understanding, all triggers sent are 80%. A lot of companies don't remove the end of the trigger for FA. This includes JP, PSA, etc. I'm assuming it has to do with not wanting to pay a specific manufacturing tax stamp or something.

It's 100% fine for us to own or purchase full auto parts in most states such as a carrier, trigger, disconnectors, safeties etc.

Obviously states may vary.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

To my understanding, all triggers sent are 80%. A lot of companies don't remove the end of the trigger for FA. This includes JP, PSA, etc. I'm assuming it has to do with not wanting to pay a specific manufacturing tax stamp or something.

It's 100% fine for us to own or purchase full auto parts in most states such as a carrier, trigger, disconnectors, safeties etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the concern comes in with if you are using full a auto parts in your rifle to replicate full auto (I know it's "binary") fire.  I've always read that full auto FCG parts should never be installed in your rifle, or you are just asking for legal trouble.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Ok, so me living in a free state, can I order and receive a fully functioning drop in binary trigger unit from him or not?
View Quote

Apparently not. I spoke erroneously. I asked Bob why I received a fully completed unit and he explained that he had been finishing and testing more units to ensure functionality from his supplier. Those completed units were then sent out randomly to customers. Apparently I was one of those customers.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Franklin has filed suit against ITF as mentioned above. You can view and download the complaint on Bob's website.

https://inthefielddefenses.com/franklin-lawsuit

From a quick reading it looks like Franklin is claiming ITF is violating one of Franklin's binary trigger patents (apparently they have 4?) and also claiming that ITF is selling an "illegal machine gun."

This was in an email from ITF today:
Franklin submitted their lawsuit on the 14th. Looks like I am going to court. They have 4 trigger patents and it looks like they are doing to sue me individually for each one until they win or I run out of money. I am putting the lawsuit info. on my web site. As of right now all the lawyers I spoke to want to take what money I have and settle out of court with an agreement of me doing out of business, so it looks like it will be me representing myself. If anyone has some good legal advice, I would be happy to hear it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#40]
In other words, Franklin wants a reasonably priced binary trigger out of the way so they can continue gouging people for their own trigger.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
In other words, Franklin wants a reasonably priced binary trigger out of the way so they can continue gouging people for their own trigger.
View Quote

Yes. Killing the competition.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Franklin has filed suit against ITF as mentioned above. You can view and download the complaint on Bob's website.

From a quick reading it looks like Franklin is claiming ITF is violating one of Franklin's binary trigger patents (apparently they have 4?) and also claiming that ITF is selling an "illegal machine gun."

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Franklin submitted their lawsuit on the 14th. Looks like I am going to court. They have 4 trigger patents and it looks like they are doing to sue me individually for each one until they win or I run out of money. I am putting the lawsuit info. on my web site. As of right now all the lawyers I spoke to want to take what money I have and settle out of court with an agreement of me doing out of business, so it looks like it will be me representing myself. If anyone has some good legal advice, I would be happy to hear it.

How the heck is Franklin armory claiming that ITF defense is making illegal machine guns? It’s a binary trigger, it’s not full auto.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How the heck is Franklin armory claiming that ITF defense is making illegal machine guns? It’s a binary trigger, it’s not full auto.
View Quote

Good question. I've read the complaint and they just jump to that conclusion without explaining it, after they explain why a binary trigger falls outside the definition of a machine gun. Also, it seems to me that the claims in the patent they're citing are conceptual and independent of the actual implementation. Here's are links to the complaint and the patent:

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/0337d1dc-9a39-49ed-84d8-9715c0073917/paedce-578114.pdf
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=10,393,461.PN.&OS=PN/10,393,461&RS=PN/10,393,461
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#44]
I think the full auto claims are just slander to get a sympathetic jury who doesn’t know a thing about firearms to get him to stop.

If bob is using someone’s patent then he is going to have to deal with those repercussions. The only thing that Franklin armory wants is for him to go out of business. Reading the complaint shows that. They know he cannot afford to fight it, they know he can’t afford to pay royalties on the patents so his only option is to close up shop.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Perhaps due to the below definition of "machine gun" by BATF?  The reason why companies refused to sell full auto bolt carriers in their commercial sale AR15s before they became the industry standard.  Aside from the BCG, you don't see companies sell their commercial AR15 rifles with full auto hammers and triggers, etc (even though they are more technically accurate).  So it seems when it comes to fire control parts, no commercial company wants to dabble with selling those style parts.

ITF trigger requires full auto fire control parts for it to function as intended.  

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guides-importation-verification-firearms-national-firearms-act-definitions-0
Any part designed and intended solely and exclusively or combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, or

Any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 12:11:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Owner posted a GoFundMe for legals fees.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/franklin-armory-lawsuit

Seems like a genuinely good guy getting screwed by the man.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 1:38:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Agreed. Here's a snippet from his email to customers:

I would like to thank all of you that call and emailed me to make sure I was OK and give me your support. Many of you asked me to start a Gofundme page to help out with the legal fees to fight this case. I did start a fundraiser and the link is https://www.gofundme.com/f/franklin-armory-lawsuit?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1
There is also a link on my website. Can you please share this with as many people as you possibly can and with our friends on AR15.com? Every little bit helps. I have to tell you my eyes started to tear up when I was telling my wife about all your emails and phone calls and she said, you care about your customers and they know that and that's why they care about you. I have never, in my life taught that I would start a business that would lead to so many friendships with so many people from all over the country. My family and I all thank you for everything you do for us.

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#48]
If you haven't received a cease and desist,
produce a metric sh*t ton of these and rebrand it as the FFT ( f*#k franklin trigger) !
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 12:10:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I believe you both are mistaken.  Franklin Armory was never sued by Fostech.  In fact, the Fostech Echo has used our technology.  For this reason, Fostech has agreed to post our patent numbers on their packaging.  I will point out that the Fostech Sport does not use our technology and uses the original Hawbaker design instead.  Fostech did a great job in implementing the Sport design.
View Quote

@franklinarmory

I've updated my posts. If you believe they still don't reflect your above comment a bit better when combined with the historical posts/threads here at AR15.com [edit: let me know.]

I knew that Fostech had licensed a patent from another manufacture before going to market, specifically I thought it was Hyperfire.

I do hope that ITF/Franklin/Fostech can all come to an agreement that keeps all three product lines on the market. I've got a Fostech setup and I'd like to see more binary triggers in the field as the more common place they become, the more support they'll all have and it encourages innovation/improvement for all companies in the market.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top