Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/23/2020 7:54:16 AM EDT
Just finished a new pistol with a ballistic advantage 10.3" barrel with the crane spec gas port, but haven't been able to try it out due to my 36 hour shift on the boo-boo buggy.

I really suspect I'll end up having to pull the fsb and ream the port to at least .075 in order to get it to run .223 as well as 5.56. Anyone had any experience with low powered commercial .223 in this or a similar barrel?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#1]
What buffer weight and spring? I’m guessing it will run whatever you put in it, even with an h2 buffer and mil spec carbine spring. That’s been my experience anyways.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What buffer weight and spring? I’m guessing it will run whatever you put in it, even with an h2 buffer and mil spec carbine spring. That’s been my experience anyways.
View Quote

Standard carbine spring, H1 buffer, SA carrier. It's a spare parts toss together.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine cycled everything I’ve thrown at it including the cheap .223 steel case stuff. I now run it 100% suppressed and run a BRT gas block. Can’t remember the port size of the gas block. I love all of my ballistic advantage barrels.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:38:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I talked to the guys at BA and they seemed to think I'd have issues with .223 running unsuppressed. I've never played with anything shorter than 11.5" and that had a much larger port. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#5]
You should be good to go with that size port.
I installed a reduced size set screw in the gas block (.063) to run mine suppressed.
It ran tula ammo fine when the gas port was unmodified.
It'll still run the cheap ammo, just doesn't lock open on the last round.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I finally got around to testing this thing and the results were not at all what I anticipated. I took 55 grain Winchester white box 5.56 and a .223 commercial reload from Tennessee Cartridge Co which was also 55 grain.

Prior to testing I took out the semi-auto bolt carrier and replaced it with a PSA full auto profile carrier just for shits and giggles.

I started off with the 223 reloads thinking I would have problems; I went through two boxes without issue in two separate magazines.

I then loaded up with the Winchester 5.56 and immediately the malfunctions started. Short stroke after short stroke. I switched the bolt carrier back to the lighter-weight semi-auto carrier and the rest of the 5.56 went off without a hitch. I'm kind of perplexed.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:06:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I finally got around to testing this thing and the results were not at all what I anticipated. I took 55 grain Winchester white box 5.56 and a .223 commercial reload from Tennessee Cartridge Co which was also 55 grain.

Prior to testing I took out the semi-auto bolt carrier and replaced it with a PSA full auto profile carrier just for shits and giggles.

I started off with the 223 reloads thinking I would have problems; I went through two boxes without issue in two separate magazines.

I then loaded up with the Winchester 5.56 and immediately the malfunctions started. Short stroke after short stroke. I switched the bolt carrier back to the lighter-weight semi-auto carrier and the rest of the 5.56 went off without a hitch. I'm kind of perplexed.
View Quote
Is this the Andro Corp barrel? I don't think BA publishes their gas port size on in-house barrels and regardless the Hanson profiles seem to have a slightly larger gp than Andro's contracted 10.3".

FWIW my Andro Crane spec locks bolt on an H3 buffer unsuppressed or suppressed with my plinking handloads, which aren't loaded particularly warm.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:00:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Wild guess:  The reloads may have actually been hotter than the Winchester.  I never had good luck, at least accuracy wise with the Winchester which makes me think it may also be loaded a little weak.  Drop down to a standard carbine buffer with the auto BCG and see what happens.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is this the Andro Corp barrel? I don't think BA publishes their gas port size on in-house barrels and regardless the Hanson profiles seem to have a slightly larger gp than Andro's contracted 10.3".

FWIW my Andro Crane spec locks bolt on an H3 buffer unsuppressed or suppressed with my plinking handloads, which aren't loaded particularly warm.
View Quote

Nope Ballistic Advantage, 10.3 classic govt profile, f-marked fsb, crane spec port.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:19:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wild guess:  The reloads may have actually been hotter than the Winchester.  I never had good luck, at least accuracy wise with the Winchester which makes me think it may also be loaded a little weak.  Drop down to a standard carbine buffer with the auto BCG and see what happens.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the Andro upper and it runs great. I’ve never shot it unsuppressed, however. BCM BCG and regular buffer. I shoot 855 and 193.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I didn't have any standard weight buffers handy so I ordered one from a guy here. Hopefully that will fix it. I'm not an expert, but I just don't see how I can get the reliability I want (with various ammo) with the stock 0.07 port at this length. Seems the dwell time is just too low to run that small without a can. Guess I'll see when the new buffer gets here.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I didn't have any standard weight buffers handy so I ordered one from a guy here. Hopefully that will fix it. I'm not an expert, but I just don't see how I can get the reliability I want (with various ammo) with the stock 0.07 port at this length. Seems the dwell time is just too low to run that small without a can. Guess I'll see when the new buffer gets here.
View Quote

I've got numerous 10.3" .070" ported barrels, and they'll run anything from Wolf WPA, to very light reloads to M193/M855 both suppressed or unsuppressed using an H2 or H3. It's not inherently an issue with the port size, length nor dwell time.

It could be an overly stiff BCG or a gun that needs a general break-in, a tight chamber, or something else causing friction in the system (gas tube misalignment, etc.). It's very likely that simply running 500-1000rds through it will alleviate any issues.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've got numerous 10.3" .070" ported barrels, and they'll run anything from Wolf WPA, to very light reloads to M193/M855 both suppressed or unsuppressed using an H2 or H3. It's not inherently an issue with the port size, length nor dwell time.

It could be an overly stiff BCG or a gun that needs a general break-in, a tight chamber, or something else causing friction in the system (gas tube misalignment, etc.). It's very likely that simply running 500-1000rds through it will alleviate any issues.
View Quote

Like I said, I'm far from an expert. I've been shooting AR-15s for nearly 40 years, taking them apart about the same amount of time, but that's all been standard 14.5 to 20 inch barrels running 5.56.  Just recently started messing around with short barrels and different calibers. It's been somewhat of an experience to say the least. These things definitely aren't like my AKs where you can beat a rivet into place with a big effin hammer, jam an eighth of an inch drill bit through the barrel and call it a gas port, and then feed it mud-covered-under-powered-ammunition and rifle run fine. lol
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Update: I tried it with the carbine buffer and a new Toolcraft BCG the other day and it would, for the most part, cycle both 5.56 and .223, but would still not lock back on an empty mag. I pulled the FSB yesterday and tried to measure the port (BA said 0.070, but it looked closer to 0.068) using the calipers, as I don't have any pin gauges.  I ran a 1.92mm drill bit chased by a 0.073 reamer down the port, tossed it back together and took it to the range. It cycled fine with the FA BCG and both the carbine and H1 buffer. Problem solved, or so it seems.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Since you’re saying it’s a 10.3, I’m guess that you have a Hanson barrel.

For M193 and the like, mil-spec spring and H2 buffer. For Wolf and the like, standard buffer.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top