Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/29/2018 10:27:51 AM EDT
I own 3 scout lights and some other one I can’t recall at the moment, but there has to be a better option based on technology and price. Arisaka setups seem to be my first thought but I know they aren’t quite as bright as the same series in the surefire options. I’ll be sticking with the SF pistol lights however.

My searching didn’t turn up a thread on this but I’m sure one is out there. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Malkoff drop in is the answer.  And a solar force body if you are on a budget.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I own 3 scout lights and some other one I can’t recall at the moment, but there has to be a better option based on technology and price. Arisaka setups seem to be my first thought but I know they aren’t quite as bright as the same series in the surefire options. I’ll be sticking with the SF pistol lights however.

My searching didn’t turn up a thread on this but I’m sure one is out there. Thanks for the help.
View Quote
What's wrong with your current lights? The M600DF is currently considered the best on the market for rifle lights. If you've got old lights, sure, you can do better - with newer surefires. Or as mentioned, swap the heads out for a new model, keep the body/mounts/tailcaps.

Unless you want to step to the Cloud Defensive OWL, I don't know that you're really going to find better.

Arisaka is probably the best for the price, but more lumens = more better, and surefire has more lumens.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Fenix PD35
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a couple complaints, none major except one that aggravates me the most being that the light will momentarily turn off when the rifle is charged or shot (not a big deal). Does it affect what I’m going to use them for? Absolutely not. This is more of an inquiry to see what other options may be put there. I’m not looking for cheaper necessarily, just exploring options.

Admittedly, I have very little understanding on upgrading my current setups and what those options are.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#5]
You should not be getting any flickering when shooting. Call Surefire and have the light checked out.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a couple complaints, none major except one that aggravates me the most being that the light will momentarily turn off when the rifle is charged or shot (not a big deal). Does it affect what I’m going to use them for? Absolutely not. This is more of an inquiry to see what other options may be put there. I’m not looking for cheaper necessarily, just exploring options.

Admittedly, I have very little understanding on upgrading my current setups and what those options are.
View Quote
That shouldn't be happening. You should probably call Surefire about that. I have a bunch of M300s, M600s, and M952s and none of them flicker when I shoot.

If you are really keen on finding a new light, maybe take a look at the Streamlight ProTac railmount lights. They also use fit the Surefire Scout mounts.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
As others have said, contact surefire. My Arisaka will actually flicker on when I run the bolt sometimes, and it's just because the tailcap spring isn't quite stiff enough and the force of the bolt coming forwards is enough to bounce it and trigger the light for a fraction of a second. I'm not an oper8or, so it's no concern. Actually don't have that light now, but I got rid of it for entirely unrelated reasons.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Elzetta lights are the best !

Check them out and they have a LOT of really good YouTube videos to back up their claims.

A good budget light would be the Streamlight ProTac Rail Mount HL-X or the Streamlight ProTac Rail Mount 2
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
My Arisaka 600 is as bright as other 600 scouts except the new 1500 lumen model. The electronics are potted too so nothing will be more durable besides elzetta, they pot too.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Elzetta lights are the best !

Check them out and they have a LOT of really good YouTube videos to back up their claims.

A good budget light would be the Streamlight ProTac Rail Mount HL-X or the Streamlight ProTac Rail Mount 2
View Quote
The problem with elzetta is you can’t run them with popular tape switches. Arisaka you can.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

As others have said, contact surefire. My Arisaka will actually flicker on when I run the bolt sometimes, and it's just because the tailcap spring isn't quite stiff enough and the force of the bolt coming forwards is enough to bounce it and trigger the light for a fraction of a second. I'm not an oper8or, so it's no concern. Actually don't have that light now, but I got rid of it for entirely unrelated reasons.
View Quote
Is your Arisaka on a tape switch?
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:15:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Never had any issues with my 300 or 600 scouts. Have an Arisaka 300, but only a couple thousand rounds with it. Flawless so far. Stay away from the cheap junk, not many options really. You could try to Streamlights but I much prefer the Surefire pressure switches. On a side note check out Cloud defensive pressure switch mounts and they did just release their own light.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:24:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Fenix PD35 TAC
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 6:17:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have  not found anything to surpass Surefire in output, durability, and form/function.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 6:18:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I’ve railed on Surefire in several posts about being WAY behind the curve on current technology and design plus their prices are ridiculous.

BUT, on weapons lights there are no competitors that can match their pressure switches.
View Quote
How's that?
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:46:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just TWO examples (there are MANY)....

Nitecore EC11, 900 Lumens out of a tiny light (yes, I have it)

https://i.imgur.com/k4ANvHq.jpg

Fenix TK75 2018, 5,100 Lumens for $200.00

This photo is on one of the LOWER settings, not 5,100 Lumens....

https://i.imgur.com/onTf4MT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pbUSe62.jpg
View Quote
Do you have a picture of them on your carbine?
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I’ve railed on Surefire in several posts about being WAY behind the curve on current technology and design plus their prices are ridiculous.

BUT, on weapons lights there are no competitors that can match their pressure switches.
View Quote
I think it's fairer to say they're extremely conservative, and the markup going from LE/Mil pricing to retail is pretty brutal.

Fancy LED's in handheld lights aren't all that relevant to weapon lights.   A weapon light needs to be in a form that can be mounted efficiently; currently, that usually means a Scout body or something compatible like Arisaka, Protac, etc.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I think it's fairer to say they're extremely conservative, and the markup going from LE/Mil pricing to retail is pretty brutal.

Fancy LED's in handheld lights aren't all that relevant to weapon lights.   A weapon light needs to be in a form that can be mounted efficiently; currently, that usually means a Scout body or something compatible like Arisaka, Protac, etc.
View Quote
Is there any benefit to going with an Arisaka body, but using a surefire head and other components, or are you close enough in price that you might as well go with a complete SF setup? As stated above, I've done zero research on aftermarket/upgraded heads.

The more I type the more I realize I really like SF.....I think Im just salty over what they charge compared to some other options out there and I need to put lights on 4 rifles that currently dont have them. I think the proposition of spending $1000-ish on weapon lights may have got me frustrated. lol

I really do like SF stuff, but I think they're overpriced IMO.....but I really, really like their stuff even with the anomaly my one scout light is having.

So many emotions.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Is there any benefit to going with an Arisaka body, but using a surefire head and other components, or are you close enough in price that you might as well go with a complete SF setup? As stated above, I've done zero research on aftermarket/upgraded heads.

The more I type the more I realize I really like SF.....I think Im just salty over what they charge compared to some other options out there and I need to put lights on 4 rifles that currently dont have them. I think the proposition of spending $1000-ish on weapon lights may have got me frustrated. lol

I really do like SF stuff, but I think they're overpriced IMO.....but I really, really like their stuff even with the anomaly my one scout light is having.

So many emotions.  
View Quote
Best suggestion is to wait until someone clears out some old inventory. It won't save you a ton of money, but at least a little bit. I know ArmsUnlimited has some Surefire M600s on sale for about $189 right now.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#24]
If someone comes out with heads that work with the DF M600 I'd be interested.  More lumens or maybe some side by side pics with beam pattern comparisons.

Not that I'm unhappy now but I'd be interested to see what the aftermarket can develop.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Best suggestion is to wait until someone clears out some old inventory. It won't save you a ton of money, but at least a little bit. I know ArmsUnlimited has some Surefire M600s on sale for about $189 right now.
View Quote
189 is too much for a 600 when a 600DF is 199.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If someone comes out with heads that work with the DF M600 I'd be interested.  More lumens or maybe some side by side pics with beam pattern comparisons.

Not that I'm unhappy now but I'd be interested to see what the aftermarket can develop.
View Quote
I agree. Love the df but if I could get 2500 or more lumens with a similar pattern and run time I’d switch.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

So many emotions.  
View Quote
I had. 600 Arisaka with the E2ST head. It was awesome but once I compared it to the new df it was a no brained. Especially since the Arisaka was $179 and the df is $199.

Check my thread for pic comparisons.

Until the new owl comes out I think the df is the was to go and even then it’s $400 vs $199. Yeah I know it’s more if you want to run a switch but you don’t have to.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I have the Arisaka. Thousands of rounds on it no issues.  It's light battery burn seems to be very even.  So although the lumen rating isn't super high it seems to stay bright a longer time than other lights. I also like they have different head options so you can get a thrower or more general purpose. I use tailcap activation.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I’m pretty sure that Sky Lumen (Vinhnguyen54 on Candlepowerforums.com) can put together a head that would exceed 3,500 Lumens fairly easily. He offered a 4,000 Lumen head for the Surefire P60 light.

He’s one of the top custom builders out there.
View Quote
How is the durability on his builds?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 7:46:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I have a couple of his builds, NEVER an issue.

He has a rather large following over on Candlepowerforums.com, I don’t know of anyone that is more on the ”bleeding edge” of pushing lights than he is.
View Quote
Awesome. Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top