Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2018 5:32:36 PM EDT
Sooooo . . . I did something fairly stupid and I can't seem to figure a way out of it.

I was cleaning my CETME (yeah not an AR but the same problem can happen on any firearm if you're stupid enough).  I usually use an Otis to pull long strips of cotton through the barrel with cleaner on the tip and dry on the end.  It's always worked well in the past but this time it bit me on the nuts pretty badly.

The last patch was super tight and tore off inside the barrel with nothing sticking out of either end.  I tried to hook it out but I just couldn't reach it.  So them i got a nice oak dowel and tried to tap it out.  Of course the dowel proceeded to break off flush with the GD muzzle.  So now I have both a tightly wadded piece of fabric in the barrle AND an oak rod.

I've tried **everything** to get it out.  There's not enough dowel to grab and pull it out - and if I try to drive it through it just splinters and doesn't move.

I wish oak was soluble in water :-)  I can't use steel tools because it will scratch up the barrel.  I've tried driving the rod out with a brass rod but that just seems to jam it in tighter.

Any ideas other than rebarrel the rifle?

Thanks folks . . . . sigh . . . .
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Running on memory. It has been years since I had a cetme but I think you can remove the stock, pull the bolt and see that side of the barrel. Then get some basic aluminum cleaning rods, like at Walmart for shotguns. Use a plastic tip for pushing wads and just start tapping it until it starts to move.Be careful to not bend the rod and go slow, it should come out. Like I said, been a million years since I had a cetme but this works on other barrels.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Might try putting oil Down the open  end then barrel down let it seep down a day or so.  If you have an air compressor take a nozzle and see if it can generate enough pressure to move the rag and dowl  out.  No idea if this will work, im sure someone else will be along shortly witha better idea.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#3]
A black powder bullet extractor is what you need on the end of a cleaning rod.

Google it
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Google it
View Quote
This for the dowel. Then use something thats not wood to remove the patch.

If the dowel is flush with the muzzle can you screw in a deck screw or drywall screw into the dowel?

This is pretty damned funny OP
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Compressed air and flexible hose. Blow it out from the chamber and careful where you aim it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Oil
Tight fitting patch/plug
Big hammer, tap it out using hydraulic pressure (maybe)

If not, then soak in kroil or similar to get it all slippery, then drive it out with alloy rod/hammer
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Google it
View Quote
THIS IS IT!!  Thank you sir!

Soaking in Kroil right now . . . .bullet extractor on it's way.  Thank you all!
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This for the dowel. Then use something thats not wood to remove the patch.

If the dowel is flush with the muzzle can you screw in a deck screw or drywall screw into the dowel?

This is pretty damned funny OP
View Quote
Yeah - after I finish crying I might laugh :-)  Just totally the worst luck I guess!
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
THIS IS IT!!  Thank you sir!

Soaking in Kroil right now . . . .bullet extractor on it's way.  Thank you all!
View Quote
What size bullet puller are you using? your bore size is only .308" and I don't think they make a black powder bullet pullers smaller than .36 cal. do they? I don't think the collar around the screw will fit down the barrel. I'm assuming your cetme has one of those 12 hole muzzle brake noise enhancers on it. Worst case scenario you end up pulling off the muzzle brake to expose a piece of the wooden dowel to grab onto to with some vise grips. But this would mean you have to replace the muzzle brake with something else as it's pinned and welded more than likely and you will destroy it when removing it. I hope other stuff works out but if it doesn't this only takes about 20 minutes with a grinder/ & dremel larger screw driver.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top