Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2018 2:47:55 PM EDT
What makes one AR louder than another given the same specs ?  
So I bought my son  a Fire 4 effect AR for his 8th grade graduation . They are supposedly made by CMMG .  It has a 1:7 free float barrel with carbine gas system and standard A2 birdcage,  it shoots well and has been  trouble free so far . My only complaint is that the muzzle blast is WAY louder than either my  Colt  6920 or my PSA  with the exact same specs .  16 inch carbines with A2s .
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's the same ammunition and muzzle device I'm not sure.

I notice different ammunition will cause a louder report/different.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's the same ammunition and muzzle device I'm not sure.

I notice different ammunition will cause a louder report/different.
View Quote
Yes, same ammo , same muzzle device, same length barrel and gas system .
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Could it have to do with the bore diameter? Wouldn’t a slightly tighter barrel have more back pressure, which would make it louder?
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Gas port sizes?
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a similar issue with a CDNN upper I bought. I ended up changing the gas block and tube to solve the issue. I found it by wrapping a towel around the block as I fired it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Gas leak makes sense, people say XCRs are louder than ARs. XCRs are long stroke with the gas venting at the piston/gas block.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:17:49 AM EDT
[#7]
It could be as simple as the sound report is different between a shooter's or bystander's position. Are you observing both rifles from the same position?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It could be as simple as the sound report is different between a shooter's or bystander's position. Are you observing both rifles from the same position?
View Quote
That is not it . We were shooting at our property and my cousin and his buddy drove up from the cabin to see what we were shooting because it was so loud !
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Perhaps any number of things that affect the speed at which the gas system works. Weight of the buffer, weight of the BCG, gas port...... a faster cycle would open up the action faster post detonation releasing more noise. But I am no expert on the matter.

Does one have a FA BCG and one have a SA BCG?
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 4:19:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Well then...it's 1) tighter chamber causing higher pressure, 2) a faster unlock [caused by #1, a lighter buffer weight or lighter bcg], 3) a leak at the gas port, or 4) a combination.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Double post
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:04:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I had a similar issue with a CDNN upper I bought. I ended up changing the gas block and tube to solve the issue. I found it by wrapping a towel around the block as I fired it.
View Quote
This (ie, gas leak) is the only explanation so far that makes any sense, given that the other rifles are using same ammo, same barrel length, same muzzle device.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top