Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/14/2021 10:59:59 PM EDT
So I decided to build another rifle and chose to go with all ambi controls on it for all the tacticool points. I figured it would be a good idea to learn to shoot and manipulate my rifle on my weak side, so what the heck, why not make it easier with ambi controls. I went with aero precision ambi bolt catch, kac ambi mag release, radian ambi safety, and geissele ambi charging handle. Had to machine the bolt catch area all the way through in order to install the ambi bolt catch. Here’s my build.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Right handed fire? So you would be learning the ambi side of that catch using your strong side, no?

Do you thumb the right side paddle with your right hand while holding the grip?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:10:07 AM EDT
[#2]
With the money you invested in that build why not just buy an American Defense ambi lower?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Right handed fire? So you would be learning the ambi side of that catch using your strong side, no?

Do you thumb the right side paddle with your right hand while holding the grip?
View Quote

Yes, right handed fire. And yes. I run the bad lever on my other ar, so the learning curve would be learning where the bolt catch is with my trigger finger.

No, my thumb doesn’t reach that far.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
With the money you invested in that build why not just buy an American Defense ambi lower?
View Quote

This lower used to be mated to a 16” bcm upper, but I gave that upper to my wife, so this ended up being an extra lower. I would really like the lmt Mars ambi lower, but I wasn’t aware of the adm one. Hmm, I’ll look into it. Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Get that commie CA rifle outta here!

LOL
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks good!

I've got a Six8 UCIW that's full ambi. Hopefully the ATF will sign off on the form 4 soon.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I like your CA compliance tricks.  I like the Hogue mag lock system too.  Done it to most of my AR's.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks good!

I've got a Six8 UCIW that's full ambi. Hopefully the ATF will sign off on the form 4 soon.
View Quote

Thanks. I recently added a sig Juliet 3x micro to it.

Any word from the AFT on that uciw yet?
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I like your CA compliance tricks.  I like the Hogue mag lock system too.  Done it to most of my AR's.
View Quote

If I would have known about the hogue mag lock before I wouldn’t have gone with the Armaglock on my other rifles, but oh well. The hogue kit allowed me to fully ambi my rifle and be CA compliant. The only thing I didn’t like is drilling into my lower, but I figured what the heck, I milled out the bolt catch area all the way through for the ambi bolt catch, what’s a small hole on the top of the receiver at that point.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Get that commie CA rifle outta here!

LOL
View Quote

Sometimes I wish I would have stayed in Texas. I could have been carrying without a permit, and possibly even buy a made in Texas suppressor with the recent pro gun laws put in place.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 12:11:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 3:14:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Very well done , I like it.

I have to ask ... what brand is the rear takedown pin ? And what is the purpose of the slotted portion ? Commiefornia thing ? ( No offense intended )
View Quote

Thanks. Rear takedown pin is Juggernaut tactical. Pressing it allows the upper receiver to seperate from the lower just enough to allow the magazine lock to deactivate in order to press the mag release to drop a mag. This keeps from having to completely seperate the upper from the lower in order to change mags. Having a magazine lock makes it to where I can be CA compliant and have the evil features such as the shoulder thing that goes up and the deadly pistol grip, as opposed to having a featureless ar with a fin grip, fixed stock, and no flash hider.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks. I recently added a sig Juliet 3x micro to it.

Any word from the AFT on that uciw yet?
View Quote
I'm still waiting.  They've had it a bit over 3 months, so probably 2-3 more months before approval.

I finally got the paperwork for the Vox-K that I'm putting on it, so another six months before it's fully outfitted.  I'll probably shoot it with a Sandman-K in the short term.  The Vox-K will really keep it compact as I'll direct thread it to minimize length.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sometimes I wish I would have stayed in Texas. I could have been carrying without a permit, and possibly even buy a made in Texas suppressor with the recent pro gun laws put in place.
View Quote

The door ain't closed.  If you come back, please send some liberal Californians back home when you get here.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 6:13:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm still waiting.  They've had it a bit over 3 months, so probably 2-3 more months before approval.

I finally got the paperwork for the Vox-K that I'm putting on it, so another six months before it's fully outfitted.  I'll probably shoot it with a Sandman-K in the short term.  The Vox-K will really keep it compact as I'll direct thread it to minimize length.
View Quote

I might have to get my dad to buy himself a suppressor for his ar15 so I can enjoy shooting suppressed when I go visit him. That vox-k looks pretty badass, all short and compact. These ridiculous gun laws in CA need to get thrown out for good.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The door ain't closed.  If you come back, please send some liberal Californians back home when you get here.
View Quote

I grew up in the Hill Country from age five until I graduated high school. I wanted to get away from small town living and live in CA where I was born, but after getting older I realized I should have stayed in Texas. I go visit once a year. Some Texas born folk are just as liberal as those here in CA. We would have to get rid of more than just the CA liberals to keep Texas from turning blue. Maybe the new gun laws will scare them all out.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top