Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2021 10:28:14 PM EDT
I know there are many more options for 10.5, but ya want what ya want...

Thus far...I've narrowed it down to DD or Centurion (there may be others). I've "heard" Criterion can do a 10.3 (I only see 10.5), but I don't know. I'd like CHF only because everything else I have is not, but it's not critical. Also not interested in getting one chopped...I've done the math...it just doesn't work out for me.

I'm leaning towards Centurion simply because I like the company as a whole, but I know DD may be more "popular".

Please let me know your thoughts...

Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:40:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Brownells currently has Colt 10.3" barrels in stock.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#2]
My vote goes to Criterion, but the wait times are 5-7 months for the CORE series.  Other of their profiles may be more readily available.

ETA:  Criterion also doesn't have a history of being FOR gun control like Daniel Defense: Daniel Defense Has a HIstory of Supporting Gun Control

But to keep it technical, Criterion does their Chrome lining better than almost anyone.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My vote goes to centurion, but the wait times are 5-7 months for the CORE series.  Other of their profiles may be more readily available.

ETA:  Criterion also doesn't have a history of being FOR gun control like Daniel Defense: Daniel Defense Has a HIstory of Supporting Gun Control

But to keep it technical, Criterion does their Chrome lining better than almost anyone.
View Quote

Centurion and Criterion are different companies.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:58:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Centurion and Criterion are different companies.
View Quote

D'oh.  I've edited it.  In my (piss poor) defense, OP did stick both of them in his OP.  

I'll add that  I ordered quite a few (more than 5, fewer than 10) barrels from CRITErion, and that's why I know about the wait.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 11:06:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Understand you want a 10.3, why are 10.5s out?
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 11:35:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Well....

For no other reason than I'm on a Mk18/CQBR kick so I wanted to keep it at the pure 10.3.

However, I know going to a 10.5 opens up more options in terms of manufacturers and (possibly) availability.

Although now that I just listened a 30 minute podcast with a guy from Faxon, he has me thinking I should now go for a Nitride/QPQ barrel. But that's an entirely new topic/rabbit hole LOL.

As for Criterion, I've only heard one bad thing and this was a response from an owner in a thread on a different forum. According to him, it shot the heavier stuff poorly which he attributed to the 1/8 twist. This did not make sense to me logically and, of course, it's anecdotal so I don't know. I believe the engineers at Criterion are much smarter than me...but that's the only negative thing I've ever read.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 2:49:37 AM EDT
[#7]
For hard-use, CL/CHF 10.3s, DD is the way. I'm on my third and they've all been outstanding.

Criterion is GTG as well, honestly I'd just buy whatever you can get your hands on first.

ETA 1:7 vs 1:8 twist is going to be a wash outside of unusually light or unusually heavy bullets. If you spend a lot of time shooting varmint pills, the 1:8 may make more sense. And if you spend time shooting OALs which exceed what a magazine will fit, the 1:7 is going to be a safer bet. Anything from 55-77gr will be fine in both of those twist rates.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Plenty of Colt stuff for sale on the EE if you want to go the "clone correct" route. You could buy a 14.5" or 16" and have it chopped to 10.3
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Plenty of Colt stuff for sale on the EE if you want to go the "clone correct" route. You could buy a 14.5" or 16" and have it chopped to 10.3
View Quote

Why go through all that trouble and extra time when you could just buy a new Colt 10.3" barrel.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Why go through all that trouble and extra time when you could just buy a new Colt 10.3" barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree...by the time I pay Adco plus shipping to/from it's not worth it unless I could score a barrel with a sub-500 round count for $150 or lower. Unless I'm missing them, I don't see any on the EE at that price.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Agree...by the time I pay Adco plus shipping to/from it's not worth it unless I could score a barrel with a sub-500 round count for $150 or lower. Unless I'm missing them, I don't see any on the EE at that price.
View Quote

Yeah, even at the used EE prices, it would make more sense to just spend the couple extra $$ and buy the new Colt barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top