Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2020 10:53:05 PM EDT
So, I thought I was done today, got the last parts in, assembled the upper and then I proceeded to do a function check with snap caps.
Loaded a mag with 10, racked the handle a few times, everything looked ok, rounds went into chamber and ejected fine.
Then bam, the bolt was stuck, it did not lock onto the barrel and I could not get it out either. Took the upper off the lower and I had to use a screwdriver to lever the bolt loose from the barrel.
Since that, I tried different mags, but now even the rounds that went in earlier lock up the bolt. What could be causing this?
Everything was measured ahead of time with go/no-go gauges and if anything, this bolt was going into battery too easily. What could cause to jam like this?

Thx

p.s. With no rounds, the bolt locks up with barrel lugs just fine
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#1]
How do the bolt gas rings look?

How about the bolt locking lugs?

Have you checked the chamber for a partial obstruction?

Did you verify the barrel extension didn't shift/rotate?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Easiest explanation is the snap caps are the problem.  

There’s no substitute for function checking with live fire.  If you used quality parts, there’s little chance there’s something actually wrong with the gun, IME.

My recommendation is to verify something didn’t fuck up with the snap caps causing a bore obstruction, then head to the range.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RJeff21:
Easiest explanation is the snap caps are the problem.  

There’s no substitute for function checking with live fire.  If you used quality parts, there’s little chance there’s something actually wrong with the gun, IME.

My recommendation is to verify something didn’t fuck up with the snap caps causing a bore obstruction, then head to the range.
View Quote

I get you but I would hate to try this with real ammo, couldn't you get out of battery firing this way?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Wangstang:
How do the bolt gas rings look?

How about the bolt locking lugs?

Have you checked the chamber for a partial obstruction?

Did you verify the barrel extension didn't shift/rotate?
View Quote

Well the gas rings looked ok when I disassembled bolt for headspace checking. I am going to go re-check now.
All the parts are brand new and name brand. How would the barrel extension shift?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By lamer01:

I get you but I would hate to try this with real ammo, couldn't you get out of battery firing this way?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Easiest explanation is the snap caps are the problem.  

There’s no substitute for function checking with live fire.  If you used quality parts, there’s little chance there’s something actually wrong with the gun, IME.

My recommendation is to verify something didn’t fuck up with the snap caps causing a bore obstruction, then head to the range.

I get you but I would hate to try this with real ammo, couldn't you get out of battery firing this way?

Extremely extremely unlikely.  The design of the AR prevents the firing pin from protruding far enough out of the bolt face to set off a primer until the bolt is fully rotated and locked.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a confirmed case of an OOB detonation.  People assume that, but in the end it always ends up being an ammo/barrel obstruction issue.

As I said, as long as you’re using quality parts, you have nothing to worry about, especially if it passed a headspace check.  Thousands and thousands of people build ARs on a weekly/monthly basis without checking anything, then go and fire them without any issues.  

You’re way overthinking this.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Well the gas rings looked ok when I disassembled bolt for headspace checking. I am going to go re-check now.
All the parts are brand new and name brand. How would the barrel extension shift?
View All Quotes
How do the bolt gas rings look?

How about the bolt locking lugs?

Have you checked the chamber for a partial obstruction?

Did you verify the barrel extension didn't shift/rotate?

Well the gas rings looked ok when I disassembled bolt for headspace checking. I am going to go re-check now.
All the parts are brand new and name brand. How would the barrel extension shift?

Your barrel extension didn’t “shift,” unless you royally fucked up the assembly process or did a lot more to the gun than chamber some snap caps.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Your barrel extension didn’t “shift,” unless you royally fucked up the assembly process or did a lot more to the gun than chamber some snap caps.
View Quote

Yeah I am not sure you can fuck up the assembly process of a barrel. It just slides into upper. The barrel extension has that notch that keeps it in place. It should not move.

BTW, here a pic of the bolt. The extractor looks 'off' to me, what do you think?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vTfpPeHlSI4JD-ywLFtuFl1DKCrPTYkK
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Yeah I am not sure you can fuck up the assembly process of a barrel. It just slides into upper. The barrel extension has that notch that keeps it in place. It should not move.

BTW, here a pic of the bolt. The extractor looks 'off' to me, what do you think?
View All Quotes

Your barrel extension didn’t “shift,” unless you royally fucked up the assembly process or did a lot more to the gun than chamber some snap caps.

Yeah I am not sure you can fuck up the assembly process of a barrel. It just slides into upper. The barrel extension has that notch that keeps it in place. It should not move.

BTW, here a pic of the bolt. The extractor looks 'off' to me, what do you think?

The bolt face isn’t really in focus, but the extractor position looks fine to me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#9]
How easily are you able to move the bolt in and out of the carrier?  Does a slight flick of the wrist extend it?

Bolt face looks normal to me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd guess your gas tube is mis-aligned.  Typically takes cycling the bolt a couple of times to show slight mis-alignment, which often mars the gas tube enough to bind up the bolt, and cause what you describe.  Take a good look at the extension into your receiver.  Also check the front of the gas key, see if it is now scarred slightly too.  For what it's worth, I've run into this with guns that hand cycled fine a couple of times, then fired about 5 rounds, royally marring the gas tube in the process.  It's easy to misalign the tube a little, I've seen this on PSA assembled uppers, and my own assemblies.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By justin_schuyler:
How easily are you able to move the bolt in and out of the carrier?  Does a slight flick of the wrist extend it?

Bolt face looks normal to me.
View Quote

It takes some effort, I am going to take my other AR out and compare. I also want to try the snap caps in my other AR.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#12]

It takes some effort, I am going to take my other AR out and compare. I also want to try the snap caps in my other AR.
View Quote

Did you check the gas tube?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AL_Safety:
I'd guess your gas tube is mis-aligned.  Typically takes cycling the bolt a couple of times to show slight mis-alignment, which often mars the gas tube enough to bind up the bolt, and cause what you describe.  Take a good look at the extension into your receiver.  Also check the front of the gas key, see if it is now scarred slightly too.  For what it's worth, I've run into this with guns that hand cycled fine a couple of times, then fired about 5 rounds, royally marring the gas tube in the process.  It's easy to misalign the tube a little, I've seen this on PSA assembled uppers, and my own assemblies.
View Quote

A possibility, but he should be noticing resistance/friction every time he cycles the gun, not just when snap caps are present.  I’ve also never seen a gas tube misalignment require prying the BCG rearward with a screwdriver.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Is the extractor missing a piece? To my very amateur eyes it looks...different. Maybe just the photo.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I think it's the snap caps. They are working on my older AR but they feel rough, like barely feeding. The 2 that fed the easiest on my older AR also fed in the new one but barely.

Here are pics of the snap caps and of the dissasembled BCG

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1p8JW9DqWCl_lB8fZb_JtXaEhQ2TOw8CY
https://drive.google.com/open?id=18nxABIFgvwERz7wJJCG22ewkwTgdbG8T

I am guessing the lip on the round is worn. The older extractor must be looser and thus goes over easier. New gun/extractor, everything is tighter.
Keep in mind, old AR is chambered in 5.56 new one is .223 Wylde
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#16]

A possibility, but he should be noticing resistance/friction every time he cycles the gun, not just when snap caps are present.  I’ve also never seen a gas tube misalignment require prying the BCG rearward with a screwdriver.
View Quote

There is NO friction without the snapcaps, Bolt locks up nice and easy.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#17]

There is NO friction without the snapcaps, Bolt locks up nice and easy.
View Quote

Methinks you found your answer.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Not that hard, just take a look for the threads where people broke the barrel extension indexing pin while using an Geissele action rod during assembly. Once the pin is gone, or the indexing channel  in the upper receiver is significantly damaged, the barrel can rotate in upper.  It's pretty obvious on quick inspection because the feed ramps won't be in the right place when you look at them from the underside of the upper.

As to the snap caps being the problem, that may be the case, but if they functioned fine initially and then all started having problems at the same time (vs just one or two) there might be more to it than a bad snap cap.

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:20:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Not that hard, just take a look for the threads where people broke the barrel extension indexing pin while using an Geissele action rod during assembly. Once the pin is gone, or the indexing channel  in the upper receiver is significantly damaged, the barrel can rotate in upper.  It's pretty obvious on quick inspection because the feed ramps won't be in the right place when you look at them from the underside of the upper.

As to the snap caps being the problem, that may be the case, but if they functioned fine initially and then all started having problems at the same time (vs just one or two) there might be more to it than a bad snap cap.

View All Quotes

Not that hard, just take a look for the threads where people broke the barrel extension indexing pin while using an Geissele action rod during assembly. Once the pin is gone, or the indexing channel  in the upper receiver is significantly damaged, the barrel can rotate in upper.  It's pretty obvious on quick inspection because the feed ramps won't be in the right place when you look at them from the underside of the upper.

As to the snap caps being the problem, that may be the case, but if they functioned fine initially and then all started having problems at the same time (vs just one or two) there might be more to it than a bad snap cap.

I’ve seen it happen and would classify that as “royally fucking up the assembly process.”

That would also prevent his gun from locking up without the snap caps as well, something OP said isn’t an issue.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#20]

I’ve seen it happen and would classify that as “royally fucking up the assembly process.”
View Quote

I can see where you're coming from...but it's quick and easy to check so why not take a quick second to look while taking things apart.

OP, hopefully it ends up being fine for you. I noticed you've got brass cased rounds in the photo. Do you see any signs of marking/marring from a bur in the chamber that might be holding the case in the chamber? If not, I'd shoot it and see what happens.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:53:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:34:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Did you make those function dummies yourself?  Did you use small base dies or virgin factory brass?

Try a chamber check:

Disassemble the weapon.  Remove your bolt carrier group and charging handle.  Insert a fresh, factory-loaded cartridge into the chamber using a finger.  Does it chamber freely?  

Tilt the muzzle of the weapon up.  Does the cartridge fall freely due to gravity?

Do your function dummies chamber and drop freely without resistance?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a pic of the round exiting the chamber from the bottom of the receiver so you can see the feed ramp alignment

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10yF6HqWcTia5oOeRPDnpWXdyVU31nWKq
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:58:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Sinister:
Did you make those function dummies yourself?  Did you use small base dies or virgin factory brass?

Try a chamber check:

Disassemble the weapon.  Remove your bolt carrier group and charging handle.  Insert a fresh, factory-loaded cartridge into the chamber using a finger.  Does it chamber freely?  

Tilt the muzzle of the weapon up.  Does the cartridge fall freely due to gravity?

Do your function dummies chamber and drop freely without resistance?
View Quote

I will try that tomorrow, thx
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 3:27:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Did you make those function dummies yourself?  Did you use small base dies or virgin factory brass?

Try a chamber check:

Disassemble the weapon.  Remove your bolt carrier group and charging handle.  Insert a fresh, factory-loaded cartridge into the chamber using a finger.  Does it chamber freely?  

Tilt the muzzle of the weapon up.  Does the cartridge fall freely due to gravity?

Do your function dummies chamber and drop freely without resistance?
View Quote

Yes, both the factory fresh and the dummies chamber and drop freely.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#26]

The bolt face isn’t really in focus, but the extractor position looks fine to me.
View Quote

Some extractor pics
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-8Eieer_Yh7nqzVKlqz3SiwQ-9TTzKf8
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-FLxq4cgKJ_aJHzo2f_7Tasw3qcvsO3W
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-EtSTy8Q1Udd038kgOUONVrpGM6DfCpj
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-K6bVjwjmuuDdUiIc8b5moVEAVBt-bks

In addition, I tested the bolt (with extractor removed) with my go-gauge and the bolt locks up fine. I am heavily leaning towards the extractor being too tight or something.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Some extractor pics
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-8Eieer_Yh7nqzVKlqz3SiwQ-9TTzKf8
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-FLxq4cgKJ_aJHzo2f_7Tasw3qcvsO3W
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-EtSTy8Q1Udd038kgOUONVrpGM6DfCpj
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-K6bVjwjmuuDdUiIc8b5moVEAVBt-bks
View Quote
That is an ugly extractor.  It looks out-of-spec intruding that deeply toward centerline of the bolt, as if the slot is milled too deeply, and there's not much of a bevel.

I'd try a new one and if that doesn't work, send it back to see what the manufacturer thinks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:40:56 PM EDT
[#28]
That is an ugly extractor.  It looks out-of-spec intruding that deeply toward centerline of the bolt, as if the slot is milled too deeply, and there's not much of a bevel.

I'd try a new one and if that doesn't work, send it back to see what the manufacturer thinks.
View Quote

I sent  them an email with a link to the pics to see what they say.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#29]
OK, some more clues.
Today I tried to close the BCG with my hand against my 'go-gauge' which has a cut for ejector.
So I place the go-gauge in the chamber with the ejector cut aligned with where the BCG ejector would be.
With everything in place (charging handle, BCG), I flick the BCG all the way in with not much force at all and hooks up to the go-gauge and locks up.
Then I pull the BCG back out (again it did not require much force ) and it unlocks and brings out the go-gauge and ejects it out the side.

So, I think that there are 2 things to deduce from this.
1. The snap caps may be badly sized
or
2. The ejector spring is not compressing and that's why the bolt doesn't lock up right or it locks up so tight because the spring is pushing the rear of the bolt lugs against the barrel lugs and the friction is not allowing for rotation.

Has anyone ever seen #2? How can I test for that?
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#30]
OK, some more clues.
Today I tried to close the BCG with my hand against my 'go-gauge' which has a cut for ejector.
So I place the go-gauge in the chamber with the ejector cut aligned with where the BCG ejector would be.
With everything in place (charging handle, BCG), I flick the BCG all the way in with not much force at all and hooks up to the go-gauge and locks up.
Then I pull the BCG back out (again it did not require much force ) and it unlocks and brings out the go-gauge and ejects it out the side.

So, I think that there are 2 things to deduce from this.
1. The snap caps may be badly sized
or
2. The ejector spring is not compressing and that's why the bolt doesn't lock up right or it locks up so tight because the spring is pushing the rear of the bolt lugs against the barrel lugs and the friction is not allowing for rotation. 

Has anyone ever seen #2? How can I test for that?
View Quote

By shooting it.  Seriously dude, you’re been futzing around with this thing for days on something that very likely isn’t an issue in the first place.  ARs are designed to function while being fired (especially while tight and new), not operate perfectly with homegrown snap caps or chamber gauges being hand cycled through the system. Take the thing to the range and run a couple hundred rounds through it.  Reasses and reattack if you observe any actual issues.  Until then you’re just chasing your tail trying to address issues that haven’t been fully tested in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#31]

By shooting it.  Seriously dude, you’re been futzing around with this thing for days on something that very likely isn’t an issue in the first place.  ARs are designed to function while being fired (especially while tight and new), not operate perfectly with homegrown snap caps or chamber gauges being hand cycled through the system. Take the thing to the range and run a couple hundred rounds through it.  Reasses and reattack if you observe any actual issues.  Until then you’re just chasing your tail trying to address issues that haven’t been fully tested in the first place.
View Quote

Thank you, hypothetically speaking, if the bolt is locked up as it is with the snapcaps where I have to pry it, what would happen when the gasses try to unlock it and it doesn't? Where would the gasses go?
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Thank you, hypothetically speaking, if the bolt is locked up as it is with the snapcaps where I have to pry it, what would happen when the gasses try to unlock it and it doesn't? Where would the gasses go?
View All Quotes

By shooting it.  Seriously dude, you’re been futzing around with this thing for days on something that very likely isn’t an issue in the first place.  ARs are designed to function while being fired (especially while tight and new), not operate perfectly with homegrown snap caps or chamber gauges being hand cycled through the system. Take the thing to the range and run a couple hundred rounds through it.  Reasses and reattack if you observe any actual issues.  Until then you’re just chasing your tail trying to address issues that haven’t been fully tested in the first place.

Thank you, hypothetically speaking, if the bolt is locked up as it is with the snapcaps where I have to pry it, what would happen when the gasses try to unlock it and it doesn't? Where would the gasses go?

The extractor will slip off the case head, t’ll rip a chunk out of the rim of the case, or nothing will happen at all, in any case, there’s no safety issue here, at least related to what you’re concerned with.

Shoot the thing and see what it does.  As I said before, you’re way overthinking this, ARs are not that complicated of a machine and there’s very little that can go catastrophically wrong with them when used with quality ammunition.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By sully:
When I think of snap caps, I think of factory ones.  These look like they are something that somebody made on a reloading press, if so then are you sure that the brass was resized and trimmed correctly?  Hard to tell from the pic, but is that a mark where things might be binding where the crimp is at cartridges 1, 2 & 5 (As if you are counting from top to bottom)?

Also hard to tell from pics, but is corner lip of the extractor (On the top of this pic) slightly more inwards towards the cartridge as compared to the bottom corner?

I would also suggest doing a thorough cleaning of the chamber using a chamber brush, and bore using a bore brush, making sure that any packing oils or preserving agents are removed.

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles 
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123
View Quote

I ordered some A-Zoom snap caps. Let's see
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Those “snap caps/ dummy rounds” look like something I made with used expanded cartridges, a hammer and a pair of pliers.  Get yourself some actual snap caps/ dummy rounds if you’re dead set on using them.

If it only gives you problems when using those dummy rounds, remove the firing pin and load real ammo and see if it does the same thing.  I might have missed where you already tried this though.. DO not do this.

The extractor looks fine to me.

What brand of barrel is that?  
What brand of BCG is that?
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By QtrHorse:
Those “snap caps/ dummy rounds” look like something I made with used expanded cartridges, a hammer and a pair of pliers.  Get yourself some actual snap caps/ dummy rounds if you’re dead set on using them.

If it only gives you problems when using those dummy rounds, remove the firing pin and load real ammo and see if it does the same thing.  I might have missed where you already tried this though.

The extractor looks fine to me.

What brand of barrel is that?  
What brand of BCG is that?
View Quote

Barrel is BA Premium
BCG is WMD NiBx
I already ordered actual snap caps....The dummy rounds are being returned.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Greg is 100% correct, I was getting extractor removal for headspace checking with gauges mixed up.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By sully:

Do not insert a bolt carrier assembly into your upper without the firing pin installed, as if you do you could lock the action into battery and not be able to get it unlocked.

The firing pin runs through the cam pin, which keeps the cam pin in proper alignment so that its squared edges stay to the sides and front/back (Think of the muzzle pointing North, so the cam pin corners will be North, South, East and West), and the cam pin stays in this alignment the entire time whether the action is locked into battery or unlocked and moving as the gun is cycling.  

Should you install a bolt carrier assembly without the firing pin, what can happen when the bolt carrier assembly goes forward and the bolt rotates to lock into battery, is that the cam pin can rotate out of alignment so that its corners can become diagonal (No longer North, South, East and West).  Should the cam pin rotate out of proper alignment with the cam track relief cut on the upper receiver, you may find the bolt carrier assembly is now stuck locked into battery, and when you try to cycle the action rearward, the carrier will try and move rearward but the cam pin corners will bind up and be stuck, not allowing the bolt to rotate to unlock from battery.  I have had to deal with this several times when people forget to put the firing pin back in. 

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles 
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123
View Quote

I think I did this during all my testing, I just shook the rifle until the cam pin rotated back and allowed the bolt to release.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 7:37:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Check headspace.

I’ve got a Zev large frame that wouldn’t chamber PMC ammo.  When the bolt slammed closed the gun would not go into battery and it was damn difficult to retract the bolt.  I checked the gun’s headspace, it was good.  Functions fine with Federal ammo.  The PMC must be on the high side of spec and the Zev must have a tight chamber.

Not saying your gun’s headspace is wrong, but perhaps the snap caps are out of spec.  Prove the gun’s headspace is good, then shoot with live ammo.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Lol
Some bubba local gunsmith did this for me.

Attachment Attached File

The bolt was hitting the locking lugs. He said to just run it.

I took it somewhere else and they took the barrel off and found this.

He said Mega Arm’s Metal was too soft...

Now I put together my own rifles..

So OP, take your rifle apart and see if you find any issues. And put it back together.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:43:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By swOHmatt:
Check headspace.

I’ve got a Zev large frame that wouldn’t chamber PMC ammo.  When the bolt slammed closed the gun would not go into battery and it was damn difficult to retract the bolt.  I checked the gun’s headspace, it was good.  Functions fine with Federal ammo.  The PMC must be on the high side of spec and the Zev must have a tight chamber.

Not saying your gun’s headspace is wrong, but perhaps the snap caps are out of spec.  Prove the gun’s headspace is good, then shoot with live ammo.
View Quote

Headspace is good, if anything it's slightly long. Actually the bolt manually cycles with the go headspace gauge and no-go as well but it does not cycle with field.  I am convinced the snap caps are at fault but they work in my other AR (which is 5.56) and must be more forgiving because it has been shot many hundreds of times. This new  rifle is probably tighter and it is .223 Wylde. Waiting for a new batch of snap caps.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:45:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Hunter8793:

Lol 
Some bubba local gunsmith did this for me.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/351027/901486E3-E754-4078-BE75-681ABD53C53E_jpe-1410839.JPG

The bolt was hitting the locking lugs. He said to just run it.

I took it somewhere else and they took the barrel off and found this.

He said Mega Arm’s Metal was too soft...

Now I put together my own rifles..

So OP, take your rifle apart and see if you find any issues. And put it back together.
View Quote

Well, I would then be the 'Bubba' in this case as I assembled it. I am quite certain the indexing is fine as the bolt cycles and locks/unlocks fine with
1) No round
2) with go-gauge (but with extractor removed)
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Oh my God...have you test fired it yet?

I would...
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Shoot that tinker toy.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Oh my God...have you test fired it yet?

I would...
View Quote

Waiting for 'proper' snapcaps but with Covid everything is delayed. Besides, most ranges here are closed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Wasting your time on plastic snap caps, since they get gouged, both out of the mags by the feed lips, and up the feed ramps as well.  Hence may be able to use them once, that that is about it.

Really, all you need it a go and no go gauge, if you are just checking head spacing, before live fire.
View Quote

Weapon seems fine with go gauge. Failed the no go but passed with field.
The snap caps I ordered are aluminum (it's a 10 pack) if all 10 feed and extract fine one time I think I will be gtg.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#49]
I am happy to confirm that with AZoom 223 rem aluminum snap caps the firearm feeds & ejects the snap caps fine.
I kinda of panicked in the beginning because after 5 or so, one did jam but I realized I was riding the charging handle, I wasn't letting go so the bolt did not have as much energy from the spring.
Once I totally let go of handle, it fed/ejected all 10 no problem. Next, range time to dial in the sights.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#50]
It's been 3 weeks since his last entry and nothing more from the OP...after going back and forth (with 21 posts!) for more than a month, you would think he'd tell us the conclusion to this saga...  
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top