Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2021 7:43:13 PM EDT
I have an SR-16 E3 CQB "commercial" marked upper and I want to swap out the stock KAC proprietary hider for a Warcomp or Deadair device (most likely the surefire).  I know righty - tighty / lefty loosie but damn this is on there good.  

Do I need a torch (i.e. let me buddy do it!) or is there a trick or something?  I dont want to mess this up for obvious reasons. Thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Most likely Rocksett. Soak the muzzle in hot water.

Clamp the bbl when removing.

Eta pic:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you and that makes sense.  I believe this to be a factory assembled upper.  Does anyone know for sure?
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 3:17:20 AM EDT
[#3]
My sr15 flash hider was a bitch to get off even after soaking for 24 hours.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:50:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My sr15 flash hider was a bitch to get off even after soaking for 24 hours.
View Quote

This is what I was afraid of.  What did you end up doing exactly to get it off?
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#5]
If able, get ahold of a knightstick (KACs barrel extension tool), will make things quite a bit easier.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 8:50:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Clamp the bbl for any MD work, especially  removal .
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:08:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If able, get ahold of a knightstick (KACs barrel extension tool), will make things quite a bit easier.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/173915/Screenshot_20210214-182042_DuckDuckGo_jp-1825625.JPG
View Quote

You risk spinning the extension loose with those.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:09:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This ^^^

All day long and twice on....well you know....
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#9]
OK good advice all around. I am thinking that I might have my buddy the gunsmith do it.

Any advice on the best way to clamp the barrel?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Any advice on the best way to clamp the barrel?
View Quote

I made barrel vice "jaws" out of two pieces of maple with a V groove cut in each.  The barrel rides in the V and rounds it out under clamping pressure.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 10:33:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Vise jaw barrel pads from Squirrel Daddy. $18 shipped. This ones has been cut down, and yours may need a bigger vise and a larger piece of leather. Worse case scenarios may require V-blocks and a hydraulic shop press
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not possible with KAC Mod 2s, may be possible with the SR16 the OP has, but access to enough barrel to clamp in a vise without having to remove the rail may be an issue.  I'd wager that KAC would recommend the barrel extension wrench method.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not possible with KAC Mod 2s, may be possible with the SR16 the OP has, but access to enough barrel to clamp in a vise without having to remove the rail may be an issue.  I'd wager that KAC would recommend the barrel extension wrench method.
View Quote

You're probably right.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/Removing-Flash-Hider-from-a-SR-15-CQB-Mod2/381-294583/
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope to hell they stand behind their extensions.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the clamping idea and I did go to KAC and they did recommend the KAC barrel extension tool.

It does have the URX3.1 on it so I expect that in order to be able to clamp the barrel properly that damn rail will have to come off as the is the CQB barrel.

I appreciate all the details and replies.  I am going to have to think this through a bit.  

What do people think about using the magpul AR clamp/tool that has a fake bolt to engage the barrel for the purpose of trying to remove the hider?
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Hope to hell they stand behind their extensions.
View Quote

I've seen lots of pics of Mod 2 guns wearing non KAC MDs and haven't heard or seen a single case of an extension coming loose, so I'd imagine it's good to go.  That being said all of my KAC uppers still have the factory MDs because I am nervous as hell to wrench on them that hard.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What do people think about using the magpul AR clamp/tool that has a fake bolt to engage the barrel for the purpose of trying to remove the hider?
View Quote

If I was going to change the MD, I'd do it how KAC recommends that way if something goes wrong it's on them and not you.  I have both the KAC wrench and the BEV block.  IMHO the KAC wrench is a better tool for this job.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I like the clamping idea and I did go to KAC and they did recommend the KAC barrel extension tool.

It does have the URX3.1 on it so I expect that in order to be able to clamp the barrel properly that damn rail will have to come off as the is the CQB barrel.

I appreciate all the details and replies.  I am going to have to think this through a bit.  

View Quote

The lugs on the "fake bolt" are smaller than the E3 bolt lugs so you're going to get some wobble. The barrel extension tool is the best bet, but it is expensive and usually out of stock. For the rocksett, often a good sharp blow to the end of the muzzle device is enough to break the bond, then you should be able to take off the MD with a proper wrench and some elbow grease.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Make sense, the more I read the more I think that a proper hard blow in a set up clamped or barrel extension lock down would break the silica bond without destroying anything.  I am going to think on it some more.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 8:53:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Make sense, the more I read the more I think that a proper hard blow in a set up clamped or barrel extension lock down would break the silica bond without destroying anything.  I am going to think on it some more.
View Quote

They won't let him announce it to the public but SxPxDx works for KAC, so he likely knows a little bit about this topic.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The lugs on the "fake bolt" are smaller than the E3 bolt lugs so you're going to get some wobble. The barrel extension tool is the best bet, but it is expensive and usually out of stock. For the rocksett, often a good sharp blow to the end of the muzzle device is enough to break the bond, then you should be able to take off the MD with a proper wrench and some elbow grease.
View Quote

Quoted:

They won't let him announce it to the public but SxPxDx works for KAC, so he likely knows a little bit about this topic.
View Quote

I'd ride along on this.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'd ride along on this.
View Quote

Thank you all for the input.  Does anyone know where to get the KAC tool?  Seem like it is out of stock everywhere I look unfortunately.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thank you all for the input.  Does anyone know where to get the KAC tool?  Seem like it is out of stock everywhere I look unfortunately.
View Quote

Check the websites and sign up for In Stock notifications at the major KAC stocking websites, Operation Parts, Brownells, Presample Depot, Rifle Gear, Shooting Surplus.  Probably others I am forgetting.  Not sure if they all stock the wrench.  I know OP does as that's where I bought mine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Check the websites and sign up for In Stock notifications at the major KAC stocking websites, Operation Parts, Brownells, Presample Depot, Rifle Gear, Shooting Surplus.  Probably others I am forgetting.  Not sure if they all stock the wrench.  I know OP does as that's where I bought mine.
View Quote

Exactly this. They're in the middle (beginning of the middle?) of production so most likely won't be on shelves for another 30ish days or so.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Great!  Thank you!  I think I can wait to do it correctly for this little piece of kit as I have not seen another for sale for a while now.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top