Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're sewing your slings together, a good box stitch is the way to go.
I'm using Tex70 #69 thread. The stuff is strong....but some home machines may have issues with it.
It was pushing the boundaries on my Singer HD, but the Juki handles it just fine.
I mostly use size 21 needles, but may occasionally drop down to a #18 for some materials.

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice looking sling.  Where'd you get the night desert camo fabric?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 5:16:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: savagemann] [#3]
Thanks!
MOS Tactical usually has some in stock.
A little spendy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:19:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd like to give this a shot but I have a few questions.

Some of the connections would be nice to have sewed instead of using double triglides to secure (both from a weight and bulk perspective). Can this stuff be sewn with a standard sewing machine or do you have to have some industrial machine?

If someone wanted to do padding, what's the best material to add that? Can it be done without an industrial sewing machine?

Is anyone doing this with 1.5" webbing?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:49:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#5]
I keep all sorts of nylon and hardware in my junk bin in ziplock freezer bags.  Seat belts, computer straps, belts, etc.  These projects come up a lot and often it makes it easier to make small mods or changes.  I am pretty sure I have HK hooks and some locking sliders in there too.

I should go look and see what new project comes my way tonight.

I have a Singer HD in my wish list, sounds like I should rethink that? Any suggestions on what model to look for that might cover heavy canvas, zippers, cordura, etc?   @savagemann

thx
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 3:15:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GTLandser] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hwk-I-St8:

Some of the connections would be nice to have sewed instead of using double triglides to secure (both from a weight and bulk perspective). Can this stuff be sewn with a standard sewing machine or do you have to have some industrial machine?

If someone wanted to do padding, what's the best material to add that? Can it be done without an industrial sewing machine?

View Quote

You can find 1.5" webbing all over Amazon; I have no idea what mine was except being nylon, and fairly soft to the touch (sort of like tubular webbing).

My thought was, a pad is often going to be in the wrong place to actually remain useful, and if you are wearing armor, it sort of doesn't matter except for the rare moments when wider webbing will make for less pressure. As far as rapid adjustability, I'm either carrying in a ready position or not (I know, my funeral).

The most annoying part was finding the 1.5" triglides, and worrying about what you're getting from some crappy description from a no-name FBA seller on Amazon. I was pleasantly surprised.

So not trying to knock anybody (the sewn ones look very nice), but you can put together a very basic 2-point sling for a whole platoon worth of rifles, for < $5 per sling. Adding a QR buckle or other features will add to that price.

You're paying for labor, not materials (except for the aloha patterns and other cool camos, which is certainly rad).

ETA: I mean very basic. You don't even need more than two tri-glides (front and rear), because most are designed so you can pass the webbing back on itself, and it's not going anywhere. My one extravagance was ordering some cheap ChiCom QD swivels, so it was QD-TG-TG for some adjustability. I rarely find that I am making repeated adjustments to my sling. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

You can find 1.5" webbing all over Amazon; I have no idea what mine was except being nylon, and fairly soft to the touch (sort of like tubular webbing).

My thought was, a pad is often going to be in the wrong place to actually remain useful, and if you are wearing armor, it sort of doesn't matter except for the rare moments when wider webbing will make for less pressure. As far as rapid adjustability, I'm either carrying in a ready position or not (I know, my funeral).

The most annoying part was finding the 1.5" triglides, and worrying about what you're getting from some crappy description from a no-name FBA seller on Amazon. I was pleasantly surprised.

So not trying to knock anybody (the sewn ones look very nice), but you can put together a very basic 2-point sling for a whole platoon worth of rifles, for < $5 per sling. Adding a QR buckle or other features will add to that price.

You're paying for labor, not materials (except for the aloha patterns and other cool camos, which is certainly rad).

ETA: I mean very basic. You don't even need more than two tri-glides (front and rear), because most are designed so you can pass the webbing back on itself, and it's not going anywhere. My one extravagance was ordering some cheap ChiCom QD swivels, so it was QD-TG-TG for some adjustability. I rarely find that I am making repeated adjustments to my sling. YMMV.
View Quote

Yeah, going absolutely cheapest isn't my goal. I have a Redi-mag 2.1 sling and 2 padded VTAC's. I like them both and want to build something that blends the two, uses metal hardware and doesn't cost $60 each. I can build unpadded 1" all metal versions for around $15. If I can add VTAC style padding less than $5 more, I'm all over that.

I need 6 more slings and my BIL needs about 10. I've done some sewing in the past, not averse to that. I just don't know if my machine (a standard singer) will work.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
I keep all sorts of nylon and hardware in my junk bin in ziplock freezer bags.  Seat belts, computer straps, belts, etc.  These projects come up a lot and often it makes it easier to make small mods or changes.  I am pretty sure I have HK hooks and some locking sliders in there too.  

I should go look and see what new project comes my way tonight.

I have a Singer HD in my wish list, sounds like I should rethink that? Any suggestions on what model to look for that might cover heavy canvas, zippers, cordura, etc?   @savagemann

thx
View Quote

A singer HD machine will sew through cordura and webbing well enough to do some real basic stuff. Non padded slings will be fine. But it is a no go for doing padded slings ime.

I had issues using any needles over a size 16.
Also, could not get it to run #69 tex70 thread reliably, which you probably want to do.

Ideally you want a machine that can run needles up to size 23 or so.
I usually use size 21 needles with tex70 thread.

But, a machine like that will set you back some decent money.

I did get a lot of good use out of my singer hd, but when layers start to stack up, it really messes things up. I eventually broke the machine after a few months. Was able to repair it and it still works, but I will only use it to alter garments for myself at this point.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Hwk-I-St8:

View Quote

With a home machine, you'll be limited on needle size, which in turn limits the thread size you can use.

While you'll be able to sew qd attachments etc to webbing, you'll most likely be using smaller than optimal thread for the job.

If your machine will take a size 16 needle,  you can try and run it with tex40 thread. If it runs without jamming up, you're good to go, but if you stack more than a couple layers of material/webbing together, you'll probably have issues.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#10]
damn small world , i just bought one of your slings ha i didnt know you were on the site.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Awesome!
Small world indeed.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:00:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: machinegunseabee] [#12]

I have several of these made. Used the ALICE pack adjustment strap assembly and an old loop marksmanship sling.

No real sewing required.

This one sports a sling ding and QD loops.

Used elastic for retention of the tail, it’s just a loop and slides freely around as needed.

550 cord pull with heat shrink.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 2:31:27 AM EDT
[#13]
OST
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:15:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: savagemann] [#14]
Best part about making your own slings, you can source material just about anywhere, like ebay etc and come up with some neat patterns.

Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Very nice work
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you!
🇺🇸🤘
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice and bump
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:33:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a VTAC padded sling and like it a lot but didn't want to drop another $50 for another rifle so I decided to make a knock off.  Primary Arms has a decent non adjustable house brand padded sling. Whisky two four sells the same cam buckle as the VTAC for $5.  Add a few metal triglides and you can build your own for cheap.  I got four of the PA slings for $5 each so now I have nice slings on each rifle and made a few for friends.  The PA sling also has way too much webbing, so what you cut off can be used for the loose end.  All in with two QD swivels I can make good slings for about $42 each.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:21:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Gigity:
I have a VTAC padded sling and like it a lot but didn't want to drop another $50 for another rifle so I decided to make a knock off.  Primary Arms has a decent non adjustable house brand padded sling. Whisky two four sells the same cam buckle as the VTAC for $5.  Add a few metal triglides and you can build your own for cheap.  I got four of the PA slings for $5 each so now I have nice slings on each rifle and made a few for friends.  The PA sling also has way too much webbing, so what you cut off can be used for the loose end.  All in with two QD swivels I can make good slings for about $42 each.
View Quote

How do I contact him, and do you have a photo or link of the cam buckle?
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By forgottenben:

How do I contact him, and do you have a photo or link of the cam buckle?
View Quote
https://www.wtfidea.com/spring-loaded-cam-buckle-itw-nexus-albest-1-quick-release-alice-black-00724-09/

Here are the cam buckles. The stamp on the back is the same as the VTAC buckle.

Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#22]
https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-2-point-sling-wide-padded-black-pagssling-blk?trk_msg=SJ8VCA28M0AKV72A969Q9BP8CK&trk_contact=C6PGBNFK94A9KHJMBMFL181LSC&trk_sid=J3DE3GJL8FS6KQ5THH2949SK48&trk_link=JLE64H1P6CV4PDS8JLPC9T2M08&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=SLOT_24&utm_campaign=21_09_AD02_Labor-Day-Sale-Part2

Heads up, the PA slings are $6 this weekend.  They make a good base for your home build slings.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 10:09:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By d16man:
Made my first one last night.  The stitching isn't pretty because it's hand done, through 3 layers.  But it is holding.   I cut my original too short, thankful I ordered a bunch of extra webbing.  I have the hardware for two more, but will need more webbing.  The slide works perfectly.  Tight against your body, and you grab the paracord and push as you bring the rifle up.  It adjust out to the perfect tension.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/337946/20210914_124316-2090378.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/337946/20210914_124323-2090379.jpg
View Quote

Bro...you need to go to your local shoe/boot repair shop, or boat/auto upholstery shop, and ask them to bar-tack over that hand stuff. They will have the right machines. You can leave your stitching in place just to hold the webbing where you want it. It will only take a couple of bucks and they probably have the right tough nylon thread.

Just MHO.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm glad I found this thread
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#28]
OST (Old School Tag) VERY Interested in making my own!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:28:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2apatriot] [#29]
New year anti archive bump.

I need to make some more slings too.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Bump for more ideas and pics.

(Got a woodland cast iron sling on the way)
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By DFARM:
Bump for more ideas and pics.

(Got a woodland cast iron sling on the way)
View Quote

Right on!

What kind of machine are you running?

Here is a good close up for box stitching, on a multicam tropic sling.

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I dusted off the Chinese shoe patching machine that I got frustrated with right after I bought it a couple of years ago. It's a manual (hand crank) machine but I let my wife tune it up(she has a thing for antique singer machines) and it's sewing nylon and fabric pretty well now. I need to get some different thread and needles to use it on leather, which is what I originally bought it for.

I used it yesterday to resew the hand sewn parts of a gas mask bag that I turned into a small range/shooting bag/man purse and to repair a nylon halter(equine thing).
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I dusted off the Chinese shoe patching machine that I got frustrated with right after I bought it a couple of years ago. It's a manual (hand crank) machine but I let my wife tune it up(she has a thing for antique singer machines) and it's sewing nylon and fabric pretty well now. I need to get some different thread and needles to use it on leather, which is what I originally bought it for.

I used it yesterday to resew the hand sewn parts of a gas mask bag that I turned into a small range/shooting bag/man purse and to repair a nylon halter(equine thing).
View Quote

That sounds like a fun project. Those shoe machines are tanks. Should make easy work of any gear projects.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 1:30:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DFARM] [#34]
Originally Posted By savagemann:

That sounds like a fun project. Those shoe machines are tanks. Should make easy work of any gear projects.
View Quote

You can definitely tell it's not a high end machine but I think it can be functional. It seems to work pretty well on nylon so far.  I originally bought it for leather work. I'm hoping that once I get the right needle/thread combo figured out it'll work ok for that too.

I'd really like to find an old manual singer shoe machine but they're pretty rare in my area.

Do you know of a place to buy good quality (American) thread in smaller spools?  I think a 6000 yard spool will probably outlast this machine. Lol
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Et2ss:
I'm glad I found this thread
View Quote

Me too! And thanks to all that have contributed.

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#36]

You can definitely tell it's not a high end machine but I think it can be functional. It seems to work pretty well on nylon so far.  I originally bought it for leather work. I'm hoping that once I get the right needle/thread combo figured out it'll work ok for that too.

I'd really like to find an old manual singer shoe machine but they're pretty rare in my area.

Do you know of a place to buy good quality (American) thread in smaller spools?  I think a 6000 yard spool will probably outlast this machine. Lol
View Quote

It should work just fine on nylon gear. I would get some needles in the range of sizes 18-21. Some people may say to use bigger, but I find that range works good for gear making.

Ebay is a good source for bonded nylon thread.
You can usually find smaller spools. Like 4oz. 1750 yards.
#69 (Tex70) also referred to as T70, works good for most gear.
Just search ebay for "Tex70 bonded nylon thread"
I like the A&E Brand.
Thread Exchange is a good source if you don't wanna use ebay.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#37]

It should work just fine on nylon gear. I would get some needles in the range of sizes 18-21. Some people may say to use bigger, but I find that range works good for gear making.

Ebay is a good source for bonded nylon thread.
You can usually find smaller spools. Like 4oz. 1750 yards.
#69 (Tex70) also referred to as T70, works good for most gear.
Just search ebay for "Tex70 bonded nylon thread"
I like the A&E Brand.
Thread Exchange is a good source if you don't wanna use ebay.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up!  I am already using size 21 needles but I think my thread is Chinese bullshit and isn't really bonded. It seems like normal twisted thread and it breaks a lot, even just backing (turning it around, not running the machine backwards, that breaks the thread immediately  lol)up a few stitches to lock it in.

I'll check eBay
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 11:40:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Just to update in here since this is where the information came from, I got my spool of T90 bonded nylon thread from A&E the other day and had the time today to respool the machine and give it a try.  This thread cleared up 99% of my issues.

This thread is smaller I'm diameter than the other thread I had which was supposed to be T70.  I'd prefer a bigger thread for leather work because I think it would look better (a smaller needle may help this though too) but I'm pretty happy with my first machine sewn leather project.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Thanks again for the help!
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Got an order coming from strapworks with some polyester and nylon webbing in 1" and 1 1/4", some single bar sliders. Already have a polyester thread and I rig mine up for tagless adjustment with a paracord loop for front attachment and a slider bar rear attachment. Very light and quiet slings stitched at home. So simple to do and mostly stolen from Proctor's slings.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Just to update in here since this is where the information came from, I got my spool of T90 bonded nylon thread from A&E the other day and had the time today to respool the machine and give it a try.  This thread cleared up 99% of my issues.

This thread is smaller I'm diameter than the other thread I had which was supposed to be T70.  I'd prefer a bigger thread for leather work because I think it would look better (a smaller needle may help this though too) but I'm pretty happy with my first machine sewn leather project.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG3352_JPG-2264755.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG3353_JPG-2264756.JPG

Thanks again for the help!
View Quote

Glad that helped.
Nice work. Looks great!
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Snagged 2 Cast Irons from CitizenGear.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:
Snagged 2 Cast Irons from CitizenGear.
View Quote

Awesome.  Let me know how you like them when they show up.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Do you (or anyone else, for that matter) know of any forums about diy/homemade gear?  I think I've pretty much exhausted the discussions I could find here about suppliers and whatnot but I'd like to find some more information about the different available materials and hardware, general design and construction and to see people's projects.

Once I got my machine up and running, I've been kind of distracted with wanting to sew stuff. Lol

I've made a couple more slings, a dog collar and leash and converted a couple of gas mask bags into purses for my wife and daughter. Lol
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#44]

Do you (or anyone else, for that matter) know of any forums about diy/homemade gear?  I think I've pretty much exhausted the discussions I could find here about suppliers and whatnot but I'd like to find some more information about the different available materials and hardware, general design and construction and to see people's projects.

Once I got my machine up and running, I've been kind of distracted with wanting to sew stuff. Lol

I've made a couple more slings, a dog collar and leash and converted a couple of gas mask bags into purses for my wife and daughter. Lol
View Quote

There are a few good video series on YouTube from people who make gear. Can't recall their names atm.
I was searching "gear sewing" diy tactical gear" etc.

For forums, not a ton of stuff out there.
Wtf idea had a killer forum called gear maker, but there was an issue and they lost all of their data.
Currently, it is back online, but very little info on there so far.

Light fighter has a diy gear sub section, not a lot of activity.

There is a whole gaggle of forums for people making their own gear for backpacking etc.
Good places to learn some basics.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#45]
I buy the webbing by the foot, and tri-glides for around 25 cents each when I get to the store that sells that stuff.  I'll bring home a bunch of different colors and types of webbing and enough tri-glides that will last me quite a while.  I still have a bag full of various tri-glides in the shop.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#46]
I've had some luck finding webbing and some hardware on eBay.

I'm trying to stick with US made stuff as much as possible.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Ming_The_Merciless:
Old School TAG
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Me-"I want to buy a padded sling"
Mom-"we can make a padded sling at home"

The padded sling at home-
Attachment Attached File

First adventure in trying to manage a bunch of layers and keep foam from trying to squirt out from under the foot on the machine when sewing close to the edge of it. My machine is a cobbler's machine so there's not much support under the foot for the material being sewn.

I mostly just don't want this thread to go away.

Someone else has to be messing with diy nylon gear. This is one of the few topics that I haven't managed to find a place where it's discussed.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#49]
If you're sewing your slings together, a good box stitch is the way to go.
I'm using Tex70 #69 thread. The stuff is strong....but some home machines may have issues with it.
It was pushing the boundaries on my Singer HD, but the Juki handles it just fine.
I mostly use size 21 needles, but may occasionally drop down to a #18 for some materials.

https://i.imgur.com/Dv7JFMt.png

https://i.imgur.com/7oEc6ME.png
View Quote

How are you making the pads?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 1:19:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Liaztraht] [#50]
Free bump to keep this thread alive.

I was looking into making my own quick adjust sling, then I remembered my sewing machine didn't survive some flooding a couple years back

I have access to my grandma's old Singer 99k with the works, but I'm not going to give her a heart attack doing webbing. It can most definitely handle what I want, but it was passed down to her. It's a great machine, but she is attached to it.

Since a new sling will arrive before I can buy a new machine, I just ordered a Citizen Gear Nekkid, and I'm gonna slap some polymer D rings and 550 cord on similar to the old Way of the Gun sling design before their newer slider attachment style. I like the old Proctor style attachment, but the Citizen has a better adjuster design IMO.

I'll have a bag if these, so now I have an excuse to buy a new machine (besides missing sewing). Wish more companies offered it.
Attachment Attached File

I've done a simple no sew sling recently for my .22 with 4 sliders, and the DIY bug is hitting hard.

I think once I get a new sewing machine, I'll replace all my MS1 slings. Then maybe also work on a simple chest rig design.

Diy threads always hurt my wallet
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top