Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/5/2021 10:52:30 PM EDT
I’m building an AR 9mm pistol with a PSA “Colt” magazine Lower receiver and a MA parts 9mm upper receiver, with a S&B arm brace.

I’m still waiting for my 8.5” 9mm barrel to come to complete this build.

My question, how do you check the head-spacing on a 9mm AR pistol and when installing the barrel into the upper receiver, do I need to “coat” the inner barrel sleeve/shoulder(??) with a product?  If so, what type of product should I use?

I want to ensure that “I” install this barrel properly to prevent any possible damage to either the barrel or the upper receiver.

This build will basically be a “range toy,” but I still want to ensure that I do everything correctly for this build.

Thanks for any assistance with this!!

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:57:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Typically AR uppers headspace perfect with any reputable barrel installed. To check it you would just assemble and use go, no-go gauges and the bolt to be sure. Or did I misunderstand the question?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:08:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Install the barrel like any other barrel, Aeroshell on the threads, season 3 times and send it.  Then go shoot it.  If it is a blowback 9 there isn't anything to headspace, the bolt will stop when the case mouth hits the end of the chamber.  Then press the bang switch.  You will need a proper buffer for a blowback 9, that is about it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:24:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies and info!!!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Install the barrel like any other barrel, Aeroshell on the threads, season 3 times and send it.  Then go shoot it.  If it is a blowback 9 there isn't anything to headspace, the bolt will stop when the case mouth hits the end of the chamber.  Then press the bang switch.  You will need a proper buffer for a blowback 9, that is about it.
View Quote

This.

The only way the headspace is dangerous is if the barrel manufacturer screwed up and cut the chamber short.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I’d repost your issue in the Rimfire And Pistol Calibers forum.  There aren’t a lot of issues you can run into with building a 9mm AR upper, but understanding the technical issues related to blowback pistol calibers and headspace is useful.

In short, just install the barrel as you would for a gas-operated AR.  If you can chamber and extract a round with the bolt you’re going to use with it, it’s fine.  Issues come from situations where the combination won’t feed, won’t properly chamber, and/or won’t extract.

In for results…
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top