BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/3/2020 2:23:15 PM EDT
The title essentially says it all.

I have not bought weapon lights in quite some time.  I seem to recall that one needs at least 60 lumens.  The SureFires I have are in 60-70-lumen range, which I've found sufficient over the years.  Now that I'm looking for another light after apparently living under a rock for a decade, it seems that, current options pour 10-20 times more light than I need or want.  That seems absurd.

How much is too much?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:58:32 PM EDT
[#1]
This goes up there with Caliber debates and Tactics, LOL! I'm in the "You can never have enough" camp - give me the most Lumens and Candela you can stuff in there, favoring Candela if you have to. Go hang up a Sweatshirt and Jeans at various places around your house and test. I want the dudes face to melt off

60 Lumens is old school, incandescent, Surefire 6P stuff
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#2]
No such thing as too much. In before "you'll blind yourself if you have white walls."
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I would say the sun would be too much. Other than that it is ok.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 3:15:33 PM EDT
[#4]
The late, great Pat Rogers and, more recently, Aaron Cowan make very good arguments for mo' lumen/candela. I personally pitched my tent in the nuclear bright camp.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I am happy with 600+ but I like a tight beam. As to the "all the lumens" camp sun glasses exist for a reason.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#6]
If one starts with the perspective of the meat-machine being basis of any system, and all tools added being augmentation for enhancement of said meat-machine, then the answer immediately presents.  There is ALWAYS a trade-off for adding anything to a system.  I pose the question, “Based on the fundamental design traits and characteristics of your meat-machine, what could be the potential detrimental effects of bombarding ones self with high intensity light at 2am while under duress?”

The trend across the board has shifted from working inside-out, towards derivative logic based on an outside-in perspective. The end result being a never-ending cycle of products & associated TTP’s based around said products intended to fix problems that were self-created in the first place.

In a nutshell, people have lost sight of the wisdom of fitting/designing tools/system around you, as opposed to modifying your body to fit your tools/system.  Hence we end up with chest rigs, belly bands, 10lb ar’s, TOB grips, square stances, etc etc.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If one starts with the perspective of the meat-machine being basis of any system, and all tools added being augmentation for enhancement of said meat-machine, then the answer immediately presents.  There is ALWAYS a trade-off for adding anything to a system.  I pose the question, “Based on the fundamental design traits and characteristics of your meat-machine, what could be the potential detrimental effects of bombarding ones self with high intensity light at 2am while under duress?”

The trend across the board has shifted from working inside-out, towards derivative logic based on an outside-in perspective. The end result being a never-ending cycle of products & associated TTP’s based around said products intended to fix problems that were self-created in the first place.

In a nutshell, people have lost sight of the wisdom of fitting/designing tools/system around you, as opposed to modifying your body to fit your tools/system.  Hence we end up with chest rigs, belly bands, 10lb ar’s, TOB grips, square stances, etc etc.
View Quote
Best way to answer questions like the one you posed is through experimentation and examination.  By that I mean run your gear in as close to real world conditions as possible again and again.

I run 1000 lumen lights on my duty rifles.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Best way to answer questions like the one you posed is through experimentation and examination.  By that I mean run your gear in as close to real world conditions as possible again and again.

I run 1000 lumen lights on my duty rifles.
View Quote
Candela is also important to consider. 1000 lumens and 16k candela doesn't come close to 1000 lumens and 50k candela.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The late, great Pat Rogers and, more recently, Aaron Cowan make very good arguments for mo' lumen/candela. I personally pitched my tent in the nuclear bright camp.
View Quote
Aaron makes very convincing arguments in that video.  Thank you for posting it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#10]
All the lumens
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's a lot of words without any answers.

OP, use what works for you. IME 1,000 lumens isn't too much provided proper technique is used. I personally like being able to see an entire room without muzzling anyone that might be in that room. Then, should a threat be identified, I can now control that person's vision. They only get to see me or anything around me if I allow it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Setting the curtains on fire is probably overkill.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#13]
If the light sets shit on fire, it’s too much.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Currently a Surefire X300u-A 1K Lumen is about right for me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Can’t have enough light.

Whispers to Alexa on nightstand, “Alexa, turn on all lights” ...

Seriously, WiFi plugs are like $10 and they’re easy to setup on the home network.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I think 600lm is good.

All my HD lights are 600-1000lm
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#17]
If you are worried about blinding yourself, you can run a Surefire XH35. The lumen output can be toggled between 300 & 1000 lumens, and it's a wide spill beam with low candela.

Personally, I'm inclined to favor a decent amount of throw and more light when possible, within reason anyway; I'd take a Modlite 5k PLH or that new Cloud Defensive REIN coming up.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Lol, no such thing as too much. Modlites on rifles, 1000 lumen X300U’s on handguns.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No such thing as too much.
In before "you'll blind yourself if you have white walls."
View Quote
This.
You want all the light you can get.

Jay
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Honestly I’d say 200-500 is ideal, but in reality lux is more important than lumens on the upper end of the spectrum as that’s what your eyes register/react to.  The moon is only 0.25 lux yet reflects 4.8 trillion lumens.  Extreme example but you get the idea.  If you see a bright hotspot your eyes will react much more dramatically than if you have a lower lux light, which usually, but not always correlated to lumens. Keep in mind bad guys come at night while you are asleep. Your pupils will be wide open when you turn that light on. There is 100% such thing as too much light.

Get a light with a wide spill and even diffusion to help maximize output while minimizing harshness that will make you just as blind as the BG.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have not bought weapon lights in quite some time.  I seem to recall that one needs at least 60 lumens.  The SureFires I have are in 60-70-lumen range, which I've found sufficient over the years.  Now that I'm looking for another light after apparently living under a rock for a decade, it seems that, current options pour 10-20 times more light than I need or want.  That seems absurd.

How much is too much?
View Quote
Will your light bounce off of white colored walls/appliances and blind you? I think 300 is great for inside.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#22]
You know there is a lot of room for discussion regarding what type of set up you are dealing with.  A small apartment, or a large multi-story house.
Indoors or in and out.   Multiple perps is a real concern, and you might not want the brightest light in the world if you may have to go room by
room/floor.  Definitely a tight bean as well especially if outdoors also.  And if an incident who is not going to clear outside as well.  And forget having
time to grab another rifle/light combo.

You know one thing someone should make (if they don't already) is a sort of 2000 lumen "flash" module you could throw into a room or area.  It could
be programable, even with multiple colors, or even IR.  It sure would seem useful for HD.  And almost as dangerous as the grands "walkers."
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:25:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I've pondered throwing a streamlight hl 5-x  88080 in 30mm scope rings for a home brew weapon light, (not sure if that actually works, weigh in if you try it)

By the numbers that would be about equivalent to a streamlight hellfighter
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Last time there was a thread on this the discussion went very in depth. Someone with an educated background on the subject also provided information on specifically on what a home defense (not a general purpose defense weapon light) might need to be. There was a lot of debate on theory and citing Cowan, but a test was suggested: Set an alarm for something like 4 AM - after you have been asleep for a few hours - wake up and try using your light. Your eyes will be overly sensitive for the first minute or so after waking up. If you find it's too bright, then you know.

I have another post from the forums here in my notes from the forums I'll dig up later today for you guys. Someone was running a shoothouse and they tried all sorts of different lights with different people running the house. They found that the best times were around the 200 lumen area. When the lights got more and more powerful the times actually started going up.

There is a lot of interesting discussion on the topic, and it appears the only wrong answer is to think that there is only one right answer.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Last time there was a thread on this the discussion went very in depth. Someone with an educated background on the subject also provided information on specifically on what a home defense (not a general purpose defense weapon light) might need to be. There was a lot of debate on theory and citing Cowan, but a test was suggested: Set an alarm for something like 4 AM - after you have been asleep for a few hours - wake up and try using your light. Your eyes will be overly sensitive for the first minute or so after waking up. If you find it's too bright, then you know.

I have another post from the forums here in my notes from the forums I'll dig up later today for you guys. Someone was running a shoothouse and they tried all sorts of different lights with different people running the house. They found that the best times were around the 200 lumen area. When the lights got more and more powerful the times actually started going up.

There is a lot of interesting discussion on the topic, and it appears the only wrong answer is to think that there is only one right answer.
View Quote
True. I'm doing a lightweight build that'll use a TLR-7 at 12 o'clock for a HD gun. Why? My wife has strength and joint issues but wants to be competent with her pistol and a long gun. That fits my criteria.

On the shoothouse example I could see that if you're going in at the ready and initially painting your target with the light. I wonder what the difference would be if they were going in muzzle up or down and using splash first like you would in your home? More light = more data and the initial illumination would give your eyes a transition period.

Last discussion I tested it and pointing the light on white walls at chest level was very uncomfortable but I could still navigate. When I used the ceiling to splash light as I really would it was much easier to tolerate. 1,000 lumens out of an X300U was just fine.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Can’t have enough light.

Whispers to Alexa on nightstand, “Alexa, turn on all lights” ...

Seriously, WiFi plugs are like $10 and they’re easy to setup on the home network.
View Quote
This eliminates your advantage. With a weaponlight YOU can see, the bad guy CAN'T.

Lumens is total output and limits spill brightness and bounced light ability to fill a room most of the time. I think 300-1500 lumens is about right depending on needs. Candela is your range. Get as much candela as you need to see at max distance. 5,000 minimum and 100,000 maximum. How far do you need to see? 25 feet? 200 yards?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#27]
If you worry about blinding yourself, get a light with all the lumens and a flip cap frosted diffuser for up close at 3AM, then flip open when you get some pupil adjustment.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:13:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This eliminates your advantage. With a weaponlight YOU can see, the bad guy CAN'T.
View Quote
Also why the momentary switch is best. We do night drills at home and have never encountered a time when too much light was an issue...however, we have never awoke at 4am from a dead sleep to do it. I never thought of that. Maybe I will do that and not tell the wife what we are doing then I can factor in the stress for realism...
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 11:56:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I have lights between 200-1200 on my weapons.
I think around 200 would be the minimum I would want.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#30]
My HD AR is shorter than 16” barrel so I’ll run a Arisaka 300. I have 2 of them one with Malkoff E1 scout head (320 lumens and more spill) and the other with a E1ht head (325 lumens, 23k lux and longer throw).

If my HD was 16” barrel or longer I’ll run either a Streamlight HLX (1k lumen, 27k candela), Surefire M600df (1500 lumens) or Arisaka 600 (500 lumens and 35k candela).

I don’t want too much weight up front on my HD or the possibility of blinding myself. With the M600df if you light up a white wall from close range you will blind yourself. Same thing goes for the HLX as well.

It’s a lot of trial and error I guess.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#31]
I would think that the more light the better.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Set an alarm for something like 4 AM - after you have been asleep for a few hours - wake up and try using your light. Your eyes will be overly sensitive for the first minute or so after waking up. If you find it's too bright, then you know.
View Quote
I know from experience that your assertion of a "minute or so" is an over exaggeration.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#33]
The purpose if a weapon light is to identify your potential target, unlike the movies where lights only illuminate a tiny area pretty much any light will light up a room enough to verify it's an intruder and not your kid, dog, wife, etc...
Using the more is always better theory, a 50 BMG should just about fit the bill for a HD rifle.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The purpose if a weapon light is to identify your potential target, unlike the movies where lights only illuminate a tiny area pretty much any light will light up a room enough to verify it's an intruder and not your kid, dog, wife, etc...
Using the more is always better theory, a 50 BMG should just about fit the bill for a HD rifle.
View Quote
Should we take it that you plan on only ever having to use your WML inside of your residence? Because you seem to assume that this is our plan as well.

Btw...you really ought to watch Aaron Cowan's video.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#35]
~600 lumens is as much as I want indoors, and I can easily get by with less. Outside? However many lumens you can get.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 12:04:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

How much is too much?
View Quote
To dated I haven't seen "too much" candela nor lumens on a weapon light indoors.

May change in the future but I haven't seen it in training nor testing.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#37]
If you want to hedge your bets for indoor use, but want "all the Candela/Lumens" - get a warmer LED. I just got my Warrior-X Pro in. It's comparable to my current Acebeam L16 that has 91,000 Candela (although MadMax YouTube got 107,000 Candela with the Olight), but it's a lot "warmer" - so appears less harsh/jarring. I prefer "cooler" LEDs, but the numbers don't lie - the Olight is a beast.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you want to hedge your bets for indoor use, but want "all the Candela/Lumens" - get a warmer LED. I just got my Warrior-X Pro in. It's comparable to my current Acebeam L16 that has 91,000 Candela (although MadMax YouTube got 107,000 Candela with the Olight), but it's a lot "warmer" - so appears less harsh/jarring. I prefer "cooler" LEDs, but the numbers don't lie - the Olight is a beast.
View Quote
For folks trying to get an idea of what that looks like the beam pattern is shown in my quick video below.

Olight Warrior Pro X & i5T EDC Flashlight Sale ??
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 8:16:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

For folks trying to get an idea of what that looks like the beam pattern is shown in my quick video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjne2UOCX3A
View Quote
Nice lights. Thanx for posting video.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Very pleased with my 600 lumen Surefire.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I had a 300 (handheld) lumen light that I used at work. It was fine for clearing buildings, close spaces, etc.

But then I got into a gunfight outside in mixed lighting at night where it did nothing but occupy a hand.

1000 ish lumens is my standard now for weapon/handheld lights. I’ll take a little bright off a white wall vs not useful outside if abporch light is on. I think Photon barrier is the technical term for what I’m describing.

In my experience more is always better.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I had a 300 (handheld) lumen light that I used at work. It was fine for clearing buildings, close spaces, etc.

But then I got into a gunfight outside in mixed lighting at night where it did nothing but occupy a hand.

1000 ish lumens is my standard now for weapon/handheld lights. I’ll take a little bright off a white wall vs not useful outside if abporch light is on. I think Photon barrier is the technical term for what I’m describing.

View Quote
Willing to expound a bit?
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bad guy was robbery suspect I located and pursued. He shot at me after I cleared the corner he ran past.

The scene was a parking lot of a diner. So there were lights coming from the restaurant behind /next to me and between me and bad guy was a lit street light in the parking lot. Behind that was a swampy ravine.

My light could not illuminate past the lamp post. Not enough juice to penetrate the shadows and mixed light. My threat ID was the dude’s muzzle flashes. I also had to drop the light to reload.

Some lessons from that...
Carry guns have gun lights. Dropping the light to reload, use radio/phone, and no longer illuminate threat is a shitty dance I would rather not play again.

Lights should be bright as possible. That perfect light for indoors may suck balls in the yard. But 1000 lumens is perfectly fine for inside.

Night sights (red dots for rifles) are also on all carry guns. They were useful here.

I hope that makes sense. This is my reasoning from my experience, so your situation my warrant different.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:51:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Bad guy was robbery suspect I located and pursued. He shot at me after I cleared the corner he ran past.

The scene was a parking lot of a diner. So there were lights coming from the restaurant behind /next to me and between me and bad guy was a lit street light in the parking lot. Behind that was a swampy ravine.

My light could not illuminate past the lamp post. Not enough juice to penetrate the shadows and mixed light. My threat ID was the dude’s muzzle flashes. I also had to drop the light to reload.

Carry guns have gun lights. Dropping the light to reload, use radio/phone, and no longer illuminate threat is a shitty dance I would rather not play again.

Lights should be bright as possible. That perfect light for indoors may suck balls in the yard. But 1000 lumens is perfectly fine for inside.

Night sights (red dots for rifles) are also on all carry guns. They were useful here.

I hope that makes sense. This is my reasoning from my experience, so your situation my warrant different.
View Quote
While I appreciate this perspective, a duty weapon and a HD weapon are very different things.  I don't think any of us plan on getting into a firefight outside in mixed lighting where BG is essentially getting further away (read: running away).  I understand that you were in pursuit, but if Mr John Q Public needed to "pursue" a BG outside, I think Mr. Public would find himself behind bars in short order.

Based on earlier comments, I did the light test this AM.  I woke up, and, in my bedroom, turned on my ThruNite TN12 (my bedside light). I keep it on 200 Lumens normally, but cranked it up to Max (1100 lumens) and counted.  It took 32 seconds for me to stop squinting, and for the first 7 seconds there is no way in hell I could properly engage a BG.  YMMV but that's a hard no from me. My Surefire X300 is 500 Lumens (I think they are brighter now, mine is a few years old) and I don't think I'd want any brighter in the house.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#45]
gets dark here, I have 1000 lumen Fenix on my "beater, around town AK"
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:33:24 AM EDT
[#46]
70,000 lumens might be a bit much.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
While I appreciate this perspective, a duty weapon and a HD weapon are very different things.  I don't think any of us plan on getting into a firefight outside in mixed lighting where BG is essentially getting further away (read: running away).  I understand that you were in pursuit, but if Mr John Q Public needed to "pursue" a BG outside, I think Mr. Public would find himself behind bars in short order.

Based on earlier comments, I did the light test this AM.  I woke up, and, in my bedroom, turned on my ThruNite TN12 (my bedside light). I keep it on 200 Lumens normally, but cranked it up to Max (1100 lumens) and counted.  It took 32 seconds for me to stop squinting, and for the first 7 seconds there is no way in hell I could properly engage a BG.  YMMV but that's a hard no from me. My Surefire X300 is 500 Lumens (I think they are brighter now, mine is a few years old) and I don't think I'd want any brighter in the house.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. And good on you for testing it out in your house.
Options are great these days.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I did the same test myself. My numbers were far lower. By more than half.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:25:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Mine are 200-300. Only cause I haven't needed to buy a light in years.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:59:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've tried it with my OWL and theres minimal squinting and no blinding. If I do the same thing with the O-light valkyrie pro it's much more blinding even though the lumens and candela are lower. The warm light of the OWL is MUCH MUCH easier on the eyes especially when first waking up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top