Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2022 6:25:56 PM EDT
Thinking about getting this trigger https://www.hiperfire.com/triggers/pdi-family/
2lbs trigger pull. Is that like dangerously light?
It'd be going in an AR10 for hunting and target shooting.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Target shooting? Thats probably fine, obviously just be thoughtful about how you prep the trigger. You minimize risk of disrupting your sight picture to try and chase the mechanical accuracy potential of the rifle/ammo. The downside risk is a hole in the wrong area of a paper target.

Shooting at something that's living? Imo, that's too light for a weapon. If you're trying to line up a delicate shot on medium sized game, there's a very real chance you end up touching off a shot that is premature and/or leads to an unethical shoot. Just my 2c, I'm sure others will disagree and that's fine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI. Too light for hunting.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FPNI. Too light for hunting.
View Quote

Another^

At that weight, you will be lining up the scope/sights and if your finger is on the trigger resting you will likely send a round downrange before intended.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with the others, it's too light for hunting.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 7:33:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I forget how light the HSNM goes. I think it's under 2 lbs with the lightweight spring.

It was too light.

I prefer the SSA-E as a good all around trigger. I think it's 3.5 total. Perfect in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Too light same as everyone else.  I like single stage and 2 # is too light for hunting.  Give yourself a little room you could breathe and make it go off.  But to each his own.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Too light IMHO for a field weapon.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:00:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I forget how light the HSNM goes. I think it's under 2 lbs with the lightweight spring.

It was too light.

I prefer the SSA-E as a good all around trigger. I think it's 3.5 total. Perfect in my opinion.
View Quote
Agree.
For your situation OP, Geissele's SSA-E would be about perfect.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Hunting?

Negative. And potentially dangerous.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't want any trigger under 4# period.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Agree.
For your situation OP, Geissele's SSA-E would be about perfect.
View Quote

I also agree...I have many of the SSA-E and very happy With them
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a 2.5 two stage on a Grendel and it would reset amd shoot again under recoil.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 10:06:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I really think the ssa-e would be great for this, but if you want single stage, 3 - 3 1/2# is light enough, but not scary light. 2 pounds is too light. Many would say 3 pounds is, but my concern isn't with unintentional fire. How many people hunt with bolt actions with 2 pound triggers? It's with bump fire. I think 3 pounds is a good, safe level.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:53:33 PM EDT
[#14]
The NRA/CMP requires a minimum of 4.5 pounds in the service rifle division. A good 4.5 to 5 pound trigger that breaks cleanly with very little over travel and has a short positive reset is an excellent self-defense or duty trigger.

Going lighter isn't needed IMO. My bolt action rifles (hunting and x-course) all have 2.5 - 3 pound triggers. My long range rifle has a 1 pound trigger.

Many of my AR's have ALG-ACT triggers and they are over 4.5 and work great. I have a lot of Rock River NM triggers that I am happy with. Geiselle is highly regarded and most of their triggers are over 4 pounds.

Try some other triggers before buying one that is super light.

Link Posted: 1/26/2022 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I have to go with the others, too light for hunting but perfect for target shooting. I have a Canjar set trigger on a Ruger No. 1 .45-70 and it breaks at around 3-5 ounces in the set mode.  Shooting offhand in set mode and practicing quick shooting, it’s too easy to let one off when you’re not ready. For hunting, that is just too light so for hunting I use it in the unset mode where it is around 3-3.5 pounds. On targets from the bench though, it’s outstanding.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 12:51:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm happy with my 2lb Hiperfire (older generation, still rocks) BUT that is in a bench-only lower.  For field use I'd want 3-4lbs, so I'd recommend looking at the EDT line ...
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 7:17:39 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that if you have good trigger finger discipline, a 2 lb trigger is fine for hunting. I use 2.5 lb CMC triggers and some of them are closer to that 2 lb number. Never had an issue. Even do simultaneous shots with a buddy when we're shooting pigs without issue.

General curiosity: what scenario are you guys that recommend a heavier trigger cautious of?
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
General curiosity: what scenario are you guys that recommend a heavier trigger cautious of?
View Quote
Which part of Texas are you in? NW gets nippy.

This single stage is about 3lbs. At 2:05ish you can see me cautiously enter the trigger guard. Add in a chance to bumpfire with an AR.

.308 Pre '64 Model 70 Target (Beeg Guhn): Weight Balance is Important

In the summer, I've been hot enough that my finger pulsed into and away from the trigger. Luckily I wasn't numb enough to miss that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

-15 F in a deer stand with my ass hanging in the breeze comes to mind.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that if you have good trigger finger discipline, a 2 lb trigger is fine for hunting. I use 2.5 lb CMC triggers and some of them are closer to that 2 lb number. Never had an issue. Even do simultaneous shots with a buddy when we're shooting pigs without issue.

View Quote

Man, hanging out in any of the NW states during deer, elk, or moose season and getting chilled.

I could easily see it being an issue gloved, or not.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Which part of Texas are you in? NW gets nippy.

This single stage is about 3lbs. At 2:05ish you can see me cautiously enter the trigger guard. Add in a chance to bumpfire with an AR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsZnxZJnR-o

In the summer, I've been hot enough that my finger pulsed into and away from the trigger. Luckily I wasn't numb enough to miss that.
View Quote
Central Texas. Although, we go to the panhandle a few times every year to our place out there and you ain't whistling Dixie. It does get nippy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 10:01:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Man, hanging out in any of the NW states during deer, elk, or moose season and getting chilled.

I could easily see it being an issue gloved, or not.
View Quote
I can see that. Coldest I've ever been sitting in the stand was 9 degrees. I've never shot gloved though. I could see that being an issue.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I think ARgold does a great job of being a light trigger and very fast like the Sg3/SD3g, with very short reset. It has a drop safety and with an effortless first stage makes it a super light trigger without the disadvantages of being to light. . With that first “stage” being a short effortless pull, and followed by a light, crisp break, it means you can still shoot groups, whereas with any of my SD3g or S3g’s, they aren’t really designed to have a predictable break that helps with accuracy. They were designed with speed in mind which makes them fantastic for SBRs or pistols. I went with the ARGold adj, and it breaks right below 3lbs, and is faster than my S3g. It’s drop in and has the extra adjustability over the stock unit which is more than worth it. But I can still use it in taking longer shots, and your groups will stay tight. The Trigger hits all the boxes if you are willing to dump the cash.

My next build I’ll probably try out one of the hyperfires. You really can’t go wrong with them either as they are a great company.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thinking about getting this trigger https://www.hiperfire.com/triggers/pdi-family/
2lbs trigger pull. Is that like dangerously light?
It'd be going in an AR10 for hunting and target shooting.
View Quote

You haven't supplied enough information to get a good answer. Do you shoot in Florida, or Michigan? Cold fingers and gloves make a big difference, as well as other factors. I'd guess that since you're asking that you don't have much experience with target triggers so I'd be inclined to agree with the too light crowd here, in your case.

If I may tag on to your thread, I came here to learn about target triggers for the AR. I do want a 2# trigger and know what is and why I want it. I'm looking at Hiperfire and Triggertech and wondering if there are others I should consider. I shoot both single stage and 2 stage triggers in other guns and I'm fine with either but I don't want a 2 stage with a higher initial pull followed by a lighter secondary break, which seem to be common in the AR world, in other words I would want the second stage to break at 2# and the initial take up to be noticeably lighter than that. Any suggestions?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top