Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/17/2022 10:29:46 AM EDT
I got a cleaning cloth lodged in the chamber of my BCM BFH upper, and initially tried to hook it and pull it out of the chamber. I was very careful, but there is the potential the hook touched the walls of the chamber.

Ultimately that did not work, so I inserted a sectioned brass rod from the muzzle end to dislodge it. When the brass rod entered the muzzle, it did lightly slide over the crown, but I was careful not the slide the length of the rod against the crown on the way in.

Would either of these things be enough to damage my rifle’s accuracy ? I am very protective of my rifle because it is my first one of quality.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely no damage at all. Brass is very soft and hard chrome has a Rockwell hardness of 70, so the brass won't even scratch it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Non issue.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:03:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help ! When I google it I see a lot of conflicting information regarding barrel crowns.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#4]
It's fine.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#6]
no worries, not an issue
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I got a cleaning cloth lodged in the chamber of my BCM BFH upper, and initially tried to hook it and pull it out of the chamber. I was very careful, but there is the potential the hook touched the walls of the chamber.

Ultimately that did not work, so I inserted a sectioned brass rod from the muzzle end to dislodge it. When the brass rod entered the muzzle, it did lightly slide over the crown, but I was careful not the slide the length of the rod against the crown on the way in.

Would either of these things be enough to damage my rifle’s accuracy ? I am very protective of my rifle because it is my first one of quality.
View Quote
depends on how well the chrome was done.  I’ve saw colt bbls take snags to the crown from steel cleaning rod by people who shouldn’t be allowed to touch a cleaning rod with no noticeable damage and I’ve saw a lothar walther chrome lined bbl take a chip in the chrome from the edge brass cleaning rod brush.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Any one who uses a sectioned rod from the muzzle doesn't give a hoot about the barrel crown.
Jon
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Your brass cleaning will not damage a chrome lined steel barrel
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top