AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/24/2019 5:23:49 PM EDT
Just as the title description;
I really dislike that white stuff.
I'd like to get rid of it.
Anyway of doing it without having to sand and or paint over it?
LMT lower
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#6]
They didn’t come with that ‘white’. Somebody’s painted that in. Hopefully not epoxied but the depth would make that unlikely. I own several and a few I have acquired had been painted in. One was so nice I kept it that way.

Depending on the paint used, soaking in Methanol worked on a few that I cleaned up.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I am no help, but if you are not gov/LE, and you legally own it, then I like the text for the irony.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Google - Colt Restricted

Very interesting AR trivia at an interesting point in our ‘let’s ban guns’ history.
And we all know it ends on a happy note for once

EDIT - Apologies- my old eyes and old habit of jumping to conclusions.

The Colts with that stamp are reasonably collectible. I’ve never seen an LMT with that.
If it’s factory it seems it may be of value at least for a swap?

EDIT AGAIN - I’ll shut up now. Just wish I had know this was a lower for sale and the engraving was optional to similar. Back to my cartoons, Carry on.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Aluminum black will dull it out but with it being engraved, it's still going to be there.
To completely remove it, you will need to sand the surfaces level and paint it, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I like it. Not sure if I like it for $150 but it would look nice alongside my Colts and be a ‘shooter’.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#17]
It’s kinda like an entry level collector thing for average Joes.
Love guns, want an heirloom but don’t have allot of extra money.
Would love to collect Colt revolvers but these are impossible to find a deal on.

Some folks don’t want the marking so the sell their otherwise identical model for cheap.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I've found that with the laser engraved ones that end up bright white, it's been laser burned through the ano.  First, I clean with BraKleen, then I lightly fog it with VHT flat black hi-temp header paint (the one that's known for not being particularly "durable" on street-driven headers in-real-life), and that particular flat black paint seems to embed itself well in the laser engraving.  I've tried other flat black paints and not so successful.  the VHT paint that is on the surrounding black ano surface rubs off pretty easily, leaving just the paint embedded in the laser etched surface.  it seems to embed well. might take a couple of light fogging coats to make the white go flat black.  it varies.

done this on some Troy stuff, POF, SwitchView throw levers, even the Geissele black scope mounts.  didn't really like my AR being an advertising billboard for all these vendors.  My gun ain't the frickin' SHOT Show.

ETA: based on other's inputs, this thread, i'm gonna have to try the aluminum black - the pen, next time.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Gun Blue?
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Just hit it with aluminum blackener.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Yep - came like that from factory.
Bought at gun store, new - so no tampering with it either.

I was able to make it less notable by a form factor of times 100; I applied a bit of all techniques here, was able to strip the white but the aluminum showed up - right under every character of the text.

That means that the white got stripped, but the anodizing underneath went away with it.

After I could see the aluminum in each character, I went with a degreaser first, then I went with aluminum black - the pen.

Worked reasonably well

Need to thank you all for this; I just hate with all myself any white lettering, text and stuff - I don't even like most of roll marks unless it's Colt.

I guess I have become a Colt snob? LMT I love, but don't want to see stuff around - just plain Jane works for me.

Thanks all!
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 9:33:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I did this to an FN lower

Brake cleaner, soft bristle brush, hoppes 9, repeat

no issues

it's painted in guys, laser engraving does NOT add color......a little common sense people, PLEASE
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yep - came like that from factory.
Bought at gun store, new - so no tampering with it either.

I was able to make it less notable by a form factor of times 100; I applied a bit of all techniques here, was able to strip the white but the aluminum showed up - right under every character of the text.

That means that the white got stripped, but the anodizing underneath went away with it.
View Quote
It’s not that you removed any of the anodizing. They laser engrave them, which removes the anodizing with the material that is removed, and then they fill in the lettering with a white paint of some sort.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 10:10:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Its laser etched.
My LMT lower had it and aluma black wouldn't touch it.
I ended up sanding it to fresh raw aluminum and aluma black took, but you can see a difference.

For science
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks again all; posting a picture shortly
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 12:31:21 AM EDT
[#28]
In picture it actually seems still more white and brighter than it actually is in reality
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 12:42:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Nice, which method or combination of methods did you end up going with?
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 1:11:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Nice, which method or combination of methods did you end up going with?
View Quote
So I bought a paint remover (as suggested above); there had to be some paint in there (the white thing).

I started by applying that and, after leaving it there for 10 mins as suggested by instructions, I rubbed it gently with steel wool.
I then added oil to the wool and continued scrubbing gently for a good while.

At some point I noticed that simple aluminum was the only left thing in the letters - inside of them - so I applied a degreaser to make sure the paint remover and the oil would be gone for the black aluminum pen to work;

after cleaning carefully, I started applying the black aluminum.
It started working right away and I could see the lettering finally going in the background - I think I could re apply several times for even a better final result.

As said before, really a mix of techniques as suggested along the whole thread.

It could certainly have been done even better - I have seen hints here of slightly alternative ways - but this is what I got so far.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 7:58:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Google - Colt Restricted

Very interesting AR trivia at an interesting point in our ‘let’s ban guns’ history.
And we all know it ends on a happy note for once

EDIT - Apologies- my old eyes and old habit of jumping to conclusions.

The Colts with that stamp are reasonably collectible. I’ve never seen an LMT with that.
If it’s factory it seems it may be of value at least for a swap?

EDIT AGAIN - I’ll shut up now. Just wish I had know this was a lower for sale and the engraving was optional to similar. Back to my cartoons, Carry on.
View Quote
not really collectable, they don't really sell for much more than a non marked lower and their are plenty of them out there.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#32]
I never throw away an old toothbrush.  They are the handiest thing you can have in your gun box for jobs like this.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 3:15:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Colt-LMT M4
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Final potato picture of what she looks like; Colt upper, LMT lower
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#34]
14.7?
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
14.7?
View Quote
Glad you noticed; yes-ish: this is one of my two SAW uppers (Specialized Armament Warehouse) treated specifically by them to have a pinned muzzle made by them;
if you look carefully, the pinned device is integrated seamlessly with the barrel - it starts after the 203 cut.

Very unique. The entire upper is a Colt-SAW optimized upper (SAW used to be and still is a sort of Colt's custom shop).

Because of CA, I Wanted to have a shorter, 14.5 (looking) upper that was completely legal. I purchased two of these when pinning wasn't as common as it is now and these have a different look anyways
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Late to the game...but the smudge would bother me more that the lettering...not that it did
Sell it and buy what you want
That upper should be on a Colt lower anway..JMO
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:06:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Late to the game...but the smudge would bother me more that the lettering...not that it did
Sell it and buy what you want
That upper should be on a Colt lower anway..JMO
View Quote
I hear you; and there is a smudge now. Could still be re-anodized, so I'm good.
That upper can be on a Colt lower; but currently the lower was on this other Colt upper and my other Colt lower is with its matched upper

Love the older looking stuff (pictures of my two Colt lowers)

6520 Colt
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Colt M4A1
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#39]
looked a lot better before, time to do the ole krylon camo job...

this reminds me of neighbors and homes changing hands, one guy buys the house, tears up all the rock landscaping to replace with grass, next guy buys it and tears out all the grass and replaces with rock and so it goes...
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
They didn’t come with that ‘white’. Somebody’s painted that in. Hopefully not epoxied but the depth would make that unlikely. I own several and a few I have acquired had been painted in. One was so nice I kept it that way.

Depending on the paint used, soaking in Methanol worked on a few that I cleaned up.
View Quote
They did come that way. I have an older LMT lower that looks just like that. These have been laser engraved.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:21:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just hit it with aluminum blackener.
View Quote
This, My lower looked liked that after the NFA lasering.  I just hit it alum-black and you can hardly see it now.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:06:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
looked a lot better before, time to do the ole krylon camo job...

this reminds me of neighbors and homes changing hands, one guy buys the house, tears up all the rock landscaping to replace with grass, next guy buys it and tears out all the grass and replaces with rock and so it goes...
View Quote
hahahahaha.... I don't mind them slightly fucked up in finish, unless it's the fancy white lettering thing - which is fine on some items (say for example, I like it on more modern builds such as my MK18 mod 1 - the brown rail has white lettering ) but just couldn't stand it on anything else.

I am really a simple, older guy - I don't mind seeing signs of test of time, use - even abuse - but just that white text on the receiver it ain't fo' me!
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:08:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What grit steel wool did you use?

Should have been 0000 at most. Soft toothbrush would have been sufficient.
View Quote
Yes, it was just that - 0000, the lightest one available; I know for sure because I have a bag of it.
Indeed the brush may have been sufficient; lesson learned for the future!

Now onto fucking up something else, let's see....
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:21:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Surprised. I've used 0000 and gun oil on everything from high polish blued Winchesters to pistols to ARs, never left a mark.
View Quote
I might have rubbed in for too long, adding too much pressure etc.
OR it may even have been the specific paint removing composite I used (a sort of gel) that, being rubbed with that wool, has thinned the anodizing - not sure, as while I was rubbing I wasn't in bright light and could only see if the white of the lettering was still there or not; so I kept on rubbing the wool in.

Doesn't matter to me - really though - as long as with the corner of my eye I don't see that stinking white lettering I have hated for years!
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 8:15:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Think this is what he was thinking....
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/thumb-993704.jpg
View Quote
He may very well be. I have a LE6920 with those markings.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 9:33:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's a fact, Jack! Colt did not fill in that roll mark with white. Use 'Goof-Off', 'Oops' or 'Goo-Gone'.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top