Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/19/2020 2:03:55 PM EDT
I want a rifle in 7.62x39.  I keep gravitating back to the KS-47 because of the familiar AR15 controls.  I know the bolt is basically just an M4/Ar15 bolt that's opened up to accept 7.62 casings, and that the walls are substantially thinner than on a 5.56 Ar15.

Are there serious longevity issues or no?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 3:06:31 AM EDT
[#1]
You will likely get more and better answers in the AR Variants section but..

7.62x39 AR bolts traditionally have been known to break more frequently than their 5.56 counterparts. Having a spare bolt or 2 wouldnt be a bad idea imo. This is not exclusive to the PSA KS47, nearly all AR15 based 7.62x39 bolts share the same characteristics. The exception off the top of my head would be the CMMG Mutant which if I recall correctly is based off of an AR10 bolt and should be much more durable but is propietary to the Mutant with its AR15 sized receivers.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 3:23:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I built 3 x39s and haven't broke one yet. Iirc at least 2 are from red x arms
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 6:26:25 AM EDT
[#3]
You're talking about the one that takes AK mags, right? I don't like that it takes away the modularity of the AR15 platform.
As far as bolts breaking, look at Bear Creek Arsenal, for example, they've been pumping out 7.62x39 uppers for $200 and I've yet to hear about bolts breaking.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 7:08:03 AM EDT
[#4]
i've got over 1k rounds through mine, most of that being mag dumps with 20s, 30s, 40s and drums
not a single issue to date
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're talking about the one that takes AK mags, right? I don't like that it takes away the modularity of the AR15 platform.
As far as bolts breaking, look at Bear Creek Arsenal, for example, they've been pumping out 7.62x39 uppers for $200 and I've yet to hear about bolts breaking.
View Quote
I believe the proprietary upper that uses AK mags also uses a different bolt. I may be wrong.

OP, I have an AIM surplus bolt that's been perfect for several years. Granted, I don't shoot a lot, but I did two separate polls in the Variants section and this is what I found:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/7-62x39-Broken-Bolt-Poll-revisited-now-with-less-brain-damage-/121-737722/

The link to the other poll thread is in there. I tried to more narrowly define failure to include only bolt walls. I was only interested in repairs that couldn't be done in the field, so extractors didn't count (I always carry a spare).

EDIT: Posting before coffee. I see now that you're talking about the KS-47. I thought you were talking about a standard upper with 7.62 parts in it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#6]
When I was looking into 7.62x39 AR's and looking through many threads, bolt breakages seemed to occur at 5,000 rnds or less which is roughly 1/4 the life expectancy of a 5.56 bolt. All 7.62x39 bolts based off of a 5.56 bolt will have significantly thinner walls and thus less support for the lugs particulary those next to the extractor, there is no way around that without significant redesign of the bolt and likely the barrel extension.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Good info, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Get the Mutant, it has better bolt geometry, IMHO.

I put about 6k rds thru my Mutant before I sold it. Mine was an early model that had the GB move, sent it into CMMG they cross pinned. Gun never had a malfunction afterwards. And much more accurate than any AK I have ever owned.

I sold it because my SBR'd Draco has become my go to 7.62x39 gun.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:25:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I put about 6k rds thru my Mutant before I sold it. Mine was an early model that had the GB move, sent it into CMMG they cross pinned. Gun never had a malfunction afterwards. And much more accurate than any AK I have ever owned.

View Quote
I don't know why, but I keep hearing mixed reviews about the mutant- that it doesn't reliably feed/fire russian steel case 7.62, etc...

Nutnfancy (yeah, yeah... I know...) really liked the KS47 and not the mutant.

What gives?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't know why, but I keep hearing mixed reviews about the mutant- that it doesn't reliably feed/fire russian steel case 7.62, etc...

What gives?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What gives?
I can't answer that, mine had a steady diet of Tula HP's, never had an issue.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#12]
The only negative on the Mutant is that it's based more on the AR10. Therefore it's also larger and heavier than the 7.62x39's based on the AR15. This may or may not be a concern to the OP.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#13]
No idea how long a 7.62x39 bolt lasts but I’ve been shooting 7,62x39 thru several ARs for years, not broken a bolt yet. Mostly surplus Yugo M67. A lot of that was thru an LMT enhanced bolt which IMHO is the best but I think they’re like $250 these days. Also run an AIM Surplus bolt, no issues.

I think Bear Creek Arsenal had 7.62x39 bolts on sale for $40 and right now Right to Bear has a complete 7.62x39 bolt kit on sale for $45.
The most common failure I’ve seen is a broken extractor, they’re less than $20. That’s why I like the LMT as it uses a proprietary lobster claw extractor but they don’t sell replacements so when it breaks, I’m using my replacement spare bolt and waiting for a good sub-$50 sale.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:57:58 AM EDT
[#14]
j
Quoted:
No idea how long a 7.62x39 bolt lasts but I’ve been shooting 7,62x39 thru several ARs for years, not broken a bolt yet. Mostly surplus Yugo M67. A lot of that was thru an LMT enhanced bolt which IMHO is the best but I think they’re like $250 these days. Also run an AIM Surplus bolt, no issues.

I think Bear Creek Arsenal had 7.62x39 bolts on sale for $40 and right now Right to Bear has a complete 7.62x39 bolt kit on sale for $45.
The most common failure I’ve seen is a broken extractor, they’re less than $20. That’s why I like the LMT as it uses a proprietary lobster claw extractor but they don’t sell replacements so when it breaks, I’m using my replacement spare bolt and waiting for a good sub-$50 sale.
View Quote
Sweet thanks!
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top