Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/25/2020 3:37:17 PM EDT

We just went through a redistribution of rifles amd magazines agency wide.

Of course I got a bunch with other folks initials or random numbers.  We were instructed to remove the old markings because we will re-mark them during qualifying.

I tried to wipe of what appears to be paint pen with acetone (wife's fingernail polish remover) but that didnt even fade the markings.

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used a little goo gone and 0000 steel wool. But that left some in the low markings. Then I just used a Birchwood Casey black paint pen on the black mags to cover the remaining marks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried the same thing with the same results on some whiteout I had marked. I'm at a loss myself.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you sure her nail polish was not non-acetone? I use acetone from a gallon can and it usually works fine but if not for you just rattle can right over it. You can't hurt them.Tape off the part that goes in your magwell if you want. Send them to me with pre-paid shipping back and I will media blast them for you if wanted.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Paint over the markings using the same color of the pmag..
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Use your own mags and put the old ones aside to turn back in next time
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I cleaned some mags with paint marks recently.
A bit of carb cleaner on a paper towel, wiped it off very easily.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Use your own mags and put the old ones aside to turn back in next time
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:30:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I cleaned some mags with paint marks recently.
A bit of carb cleaner on a paper towel, wiped it off very easily.
View Quote
I just worry something that caustic could really weaken the polymer, no?
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a fellow officer recommend 70% rubbing alcohol.  

I think I might try mineral spirits first.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I had a fellow officer recommend 70% rubbing alcohol.  

I think I might try mineral spirits first.
View Quote

If they are polymer, then I wouldn't do that.  I don't think I'd do that even if there were aluminum.  Sounds like too much effort as well.

I think the "spray paint over them, then mark them as your own" is the best advice yet.  Cheap, simple, effective and no worries of weakening the mags or wasting too much time on something that should be quick and easy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Try Goof Off in the yellow can.

I use it to remove Sharpie from plastic pistol frames I stipple.

ETA: I moisten a Q tip with it. Works well for lightly textured surfaces.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#13]
You know all those stickers you don’t know where to put? Cover up the paint. Let us know how that works out.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#14]
"Goof-Off', 'Oops', etc. The spray can, not the larger pump spray bottles. I don't know what those are for but I'm sure they're good at it. You need the real thing.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I used to clean the "red" clay stains and mud stains off my shiny 350X with soft scrub.  

Don't know that it would work on PMags but it sure cleaned/shined up the blue seat, white fenders and white painted (metal) gas tank sides.

People were always asking me how I kept it so clean/shiny

Wet it down, squirt some soft scrub on a clean cloth and rub the spot vigorously.   Might take more than a time or two.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Lacquer Thinner and a toothbrush is what i have used in the past. Works great and does not hurt the polymer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#17]
So I got some good ole Goof Off.

Squirted a little bit on a paper towel, and with a minor amount of rubbing, clean as a whistle.

When I say "a little bit" I mean literally a drop or two. That's it. I think a tooth brush would have worked also.

I hope this helps someone in the future.  I always try to come back and follow up hoping someone can benefit from it.

Thank you everyone for all the great suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 3:17:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Paint over the markings using the same color of the pmag..
View Quote

This is the best luck I've had as well
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#19]
my question is why would an agency want to redistribute rifles and magazines? If I have my rifle set up for me, I would prefer to keep it that way. Of course we are allowed to run our own optic, sling, hand stop/forward grip, lights, magazines, etc...
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#20]
We had a large number of folks decide they no longer wanted to put forth the effort to qualify and / or maintain their yearly qualification.  We even have a lot of folks turn in their shotguns.  I mean, that's only 10 rounds total to qualify!

Our agency only recently (6 years ago) adopted a patrol rifle policy. Only agency rifles allowed and only in the configuration the 70+ year old rifle instructor deems appropriate.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

We had a large number of folks decide they no longer wanted to put forth the effort to qualify and / or maintain their yearly qualification.  We even have a lot of folks turn in their shotguns.  I mean, that's only 10 rounds total to qualify!

Our agency only recently (6 years ago) adopted a patrol rifle policy. Only agency rifles allowed and only in the configuration the 70+ year old rifle instructor deems appropriate.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
And what configuration was deemed appropriate?
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ARMED-PILOT:
And what configuration was deemed appropriate?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ARMED-PILOT:
Originally Posted By REAPER2502:

We had a large number of folks decide they no longer wanted to put forth the effort to qualify and / or maintain their yearly qualification.  We even have a lot of folks turn in their shotguns.  I mean, that's only 10 rounds total to qualify!

Our agency only recently (6 years ago) adopted a patrol rifle policy. Only agency rifles allowed and only in the configuration the 70+ year old rifle instructor deems appropriate.
And what configuration was deemed appropriate?

20 Inch Barrel, A1 Stock, Triangle Handguard, and Probably an A1 Upper. No red dots because iron sights have been working for hundreds years.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

20 Inch Barrel, A1 Stock, Triangle Handguard, and Probably an A1 Upper. No red dots because iron sights have been working for hundreds years.  
View Quote
That's what I was thinking, just wanted confirmation.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#25]
HOLY CRAP!!!!!

First time yes!!! We had govt loaned M16A1s. Full Auto. Not sure if it is true but apparently "a few are still unaccounted for".

Then it was okay for you to use privately owned. That got squashed QUICK.

Now it is an M&P 15 with Magpul furniture and a Vortex Strike Eagle
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Try PVC purple primer on a rag to remove the old paint.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 10:37:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

So I got some good ole Goof Off.

Squirted a little bit on a paper towel, and with a minor amount of rubbing, clean as a whistle.

When I say "a little bit" I mean literally a drop or two. That's it. I think a tooth brush would have worked also.

I hope this helps someone in the future.  I always try to come back and follow up hoping someone can benefit from it.

Thank you everyone for all the great suggestions.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2020 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#29]
50-50 mineral spirits & ATF fluid. Removed marker paint and grime. Mag then look brand new.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I use a paint pen for everything. 91% rubbing alch. works pretty good. Sometimes it leaves a faint smudge within the crevices of the polymer.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top