Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2020 11:03:36 PM EDT
I built an 8.5 upper with suppressor that has a few hundred factory rounds through it and about a hundred handloads, all subsonic.  No issues.

It won't cycle factory Sub X rounds for some reason.  It always locks back on an empty magazine.  Often, it won't chamber Sub X when I hit the bolt catch release.  The bolt overrides the case.  I've tried different mags and BCG.  I checked the mag release and even rotated the mag release button.

Today, I loaded a couple mags with a round of Sub X on top followed by a Gemtech and both rounds fired.  Switched the rounds and the Sub X jammed again.  I have tried about 30 rounds of Sub X in two different boxes with the same results.

My case gauge is currently loaned out but I can't think of a reason the bolt won't catch the rounds. I don't think it's a gas, buffer, or magazine issue but I've been wrong before.  Anyone have any thoughts?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/5/2020 3:44:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 5:01:11 AM EDT
[#2]
What mags are you using?
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had the sub x be a bit weird in some pmags I think gen 2 30s. Flawless through the 10s. I think the center rib makes them align funny
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If your running 30oblk in 223 mags, that is a problem right there.  
Hence front sections of the 223 mags both sides are ribbed designed to hold the 223 round even with the side of the mag body, and with 300blk mag with 30cal bullet, front section of the round is going to be shoved to the inner middle of the mag from the side ribs instead.

So if running 300blk, make sure you are using 300blk mag, and not 223/5.56nato mags isntead.
View Quote

I bet this is the issue then.  I am also using regular 5.56 magazines (10, 20, and 30 rounders).  This would explain why the bolt won't catch the round manually at times.  I will get some dedicated blackout mags and go from there.  

Also, the case rim on fired Sub X cases look the same as the Gemtec.

Thanks for the replies!
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#7]
@Dano523

Update:
You were right, the mags made a difference.  Switched to dedicated .300 Lancer mag and it cycled 9 out of the 10 rounds.  Much better than a jamming after one shot.  

Thanks for the information, I never would have thought the regular mag would cause the issue.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top