Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/16/2017 8:56:22 PM EDT
Bought 300 rounds of this last week and another 200 the other day. Now what to do with the 500 rounds I have.
Shot 6 rounds today and got 3 ruptured cases. Shot 3 different guns. Each gun had a ruptured case.
One was stuck in the chamber causing a failure to eject and took a lot of force to remove with the charging handle.
This was to be my new HD round, not looking this way now.

LWRC 10.5" IC-A5
LWRC 10.5" IC-DI
LWRC 16" IC-A5

Lot#3171803

Link Posted: 12/16/2017 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Sheeeeiiit...  I just bought 100 of those today to try out...
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Shit, that sucks. Give Hornady a phone call and let them know about it. It would help them figure out which machine/employee made those rounds and fix the problem. They'll likely send a bunch of free ammo too if they find something wrong with the equipment used to make that lot.

I wouldn't write off this round just yet.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Got a chance to fire it in a 20" rifle? I have never seen a case rupture in the middle of the case like that, that's crazy.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I have seen that before.  It's most likely just a bad lot of brass.  I had a bunch of Lake City 7.62 ammo that did that around 10 years ago.... I guess I found out why it was being surplussed.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 9:41:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shit, that sucks. Give Hornady a phone call and let them know about it. It would help them figure out which machine/employee made those rounds and fix the problem. They'll likely send a bunch of free ammo too if they find something wrong with the equipment used to make that lot.

I wouldn't write off this round just yet.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have seen that before.  It's most likely just a bad lot of brass.  I had a bunch of Lake City 7.62 ammo that did that around 10 years ago.... I guess I found out why it was being surplussed.
View Quote
Bad as in like it had been work hardened to much?
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 10:47:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Just checked mine
Lot#:3172555

Love the round out of my 10.5" guns
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 10:51:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know why, it was all from the same year, and sold in bulk as surplus.  I had a thread about it.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Lake-City-LC-308-surplus-ammo-warning-/16-219468/

Link Posted: 12/16/2017 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't have a 20 inch to try it in.
Only going to use it in my 10.5's since that's what it is made for.
I sent hornady a email. Wait and see what they say.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just discovered last week that my stash of 1000 handloaded SS109 using LC97 brass had split case necks at a rate of 84%.  Bullets were just barely being held in some cases.  This was loaded in '99 using WC844.

The other thousand rounds of this that I loaded pre-y2k, under essentially the same conditions but using mixed headstamps, did not have this problem.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't have a 20 inch to try it in.
Only going to use it in my 10.5's since that's what it is made for.
I sent hornady a email. Wait and see what they say.
View Quote
You should remedy that.

In for Hornady response.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I seem to recall that Hornady had a similar issue with split cases in .17 HMR years ago.  I was one of those who it happened to but I did not suffer any damage and they exchanged them without any trouble.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#13]
That is a classic case body failure.  It’s not the load, it’s the case and how it was treated during manufacturing.  It’s a common enough problem that there’s a special name for this and several other brass treatment case failures (I can’t find my reference, but they’re referred to as “K failure”, “J failure,” and so on - ammo gurus, help me out on this!).

In a batch of once-fired 7.62 NATO brass I got, there was one case with that failure.  I have a .30 Carbine case with that failure in my collection, as well as a .38 Special case.

With all of that said, do call Hornady.  To have more than one case in a batch fail that way is something they need to know about so they can rectify the situation.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Called them today. They want to test 14 rounds and inspect the fired cases. Will be shipping it to them tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:13:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Hornady called back today and asked me to send back all of lot Lot #3171803 to be replaced.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:23:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hornady called back today and asked me to send back all of lot Lot #3171803 to be replaced.
View Quote
Glad to see they're taking it seriously. That's how you know they're a trustworthy company.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 2:21:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Hornady is always making stuff like this. This is nothing new, and it's not the last either, I'm sure of it. Find another company, IMO
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a bunch of Federal XM193 do that a couple of years ago in a KAC upper.  Did not cause any stoppage.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe it’s secretly only for rifle length gas systems and doesn’t say anything about that on the box like their Superformance.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Maybe it’s secretly only for rifle length gas systems and doesn’t say anything about that on the box like their Superformance.
View Quote
I've fired this same ammo through my DD 14.5" chrome lined barrel with no problems.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#21]
My department recently switched to this ammo. I guess we need to check lot numbers.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Hornady called yesterday and will be shipping back replacement ammo. They will be including two free boxes for the trouble.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Maybe it's secretly only for rifle length gas systems and doesn't say anything about that on the box like their Superformance.
View Quote
I'll have to check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure my 75gr Superformance says right on the box that it is intended for bolt actions or semi-autos w/ rifle-length gas systems.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 11:28:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I was on the verge of buying some of this from SGAmmo when I came across this thread. I emailed SGAmmo with a link to this thread and asked if they have this particular lot in their inventory. He confirmed this was the lot they had but that they have not had any reports of issues.

So now I'm stuck between ordering at SGAmmo's great price knowing it will be this lot, or waiting and hoping they turn over inventory and order some in a couple of months. Has anyone else had issues with this particular lot, or just the OP?
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#25]
I bought 400 rounds of this from SGA from the same lot number.

I only fired 20 rounds of it to zero and test fire my gun. I did not even look at the brass.

Worried and disappointed now...
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Call them it’s gonna be made right
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I am having split cases as well. LOT#3171803

I called Hornady, and I am returning the ammo. I really like the ammo, and I am sure that all will be well in the end. It is just disappointing as I thought my work was done...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Let Sam @ SGA know as well. When I asked, he said he had no reports of issues. Seems like folks are only contacting Hornady. I don't really expect SGA to be the ones to make it right, but they should be made aware. Multiple people, multiple guns, same exact case failure. Definitely a bad lot.

@SGAmmo
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Let Sam @ SGA know as well. When I asked, he said he had no reports of issues. Seems like folks are only contacting Hornady. I don't really expect SGA to be the ones to make it right, but they should be made aware. Multiple people, multiple guns, same exact case failure. Definitely a bad lot.

@SGAmmo
View Quote
I sent SGA a message. They don't list a phone # so, no way to call them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#30]
For the record, I shot this ammo out of two different guns. An 11.3 inch BA Hanson carbine, and a 16 inch BA middy. Therefore, I say it is not the gun.

I exchanged emails with Sam at SGA as well. It is not his fault, but I wanted to prevent anyone else from any danger.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
For the record, I shot this ammo out of two different guns. An 11.3 inch BA Hanson carbine, and a 16 inch BA middy. Therefore, I say it is not the gun.

I exchanged emails with Sam at SGA as well. It is not his fault, but I wanted to prevent anyone else from any danger.
View Quote
Definitely not Sam's fault, but when I emailed SGA after seeing this thread to confirm whether or not they had this particular lot of ammo before ordering, he said they had no reports and implied that these threads are overblown and the result of the gun not the ammo. I think at this point, with multiple people and multiple guns showing the exact same case failure, it's safe to say it's definitely an issue with the ammo.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#32]
I've been unhappy with SGA since a purchase a few months ago and haven't purchased from them since. I bought a case of 7.62x39mm 8M3 ammo and was missing a few rounds out of the 1000. I emailed them and got a response that it can't happen because it would of been QC'd at the factory and has never happened before. Well it happened to me and pretty much said i was lying. They did offer to refund me the odd number of cents I was out but i was already done with them after the reply. Now with the hornady problems that i posted here on the original thread they seem to be its the user's/guns fault again and it doesn't happen.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've been unhappy with SGA since a purchase a few months ago and haven't purchased from them since. I bought a case of 7.62x39mm 8M3 ammo and was missing a few rounds out of the 1000. I emailed them and got a response that it can't happen because it would of been QC'd at the factory and has never happened before. Well it happened to me and pretty much said i was lying. They did offer to refund me the odd number of cents I was out but i was already done with them after the reply. Now with the hornady problems that i posted here on the original thread they seem to be its the user's/guns fault again and it doesn't happen.
View Quote
I'm not trying to put @SGAmmo on blast, but that's exactly what their email response was when I inquired about whether or not this was the lot they had
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#34]
The proper thing for Hornady to do is recall this entire lot #.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm not trying to put @SGAmmo on blast, but that's exactly what their email response was when I inquired about whether or not this was the lot they had
View Quote
I got the same tone from Sam in my email exchange. I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt, and email/text conversations are often problematic. I am not a weapon expert, but I have done a fair amount of shooting in my life. I have never seen a case fail like this. I had multiple failures out of two different guns.

I truly believe that a man only has two things in this life, and I don't break them of nobody!
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree.

It will be interesting to see how they handle this.

I really hope they replace mine as this round performs nicely for my needs and intended purpose.

This is from the 11.3 inch suppressed. Ambient temp was 36*.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
They won’t till you call
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#38]
@TimeOnTarget

Have you been in contact with Hornady?
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

@TimeOnTarget

Have you been in contact with Hornady?
View Quote
@RLunyATL

Yes, I called them and sent the ammo back to Hornady.

They now have the ammo, and I am waiting to see how Hornady handles it.

I expect to have the ammo replaced.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

They won’t till you call
View Quote
Hornady not VOLUNTARILY issuing a recall on a lot that has had multiple demonstrations and complaints of defective brass, especially on an item they market as a defensive load, would show gross indifference and lack of concern for customers or product quality on their part.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 3:32:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Hornady not VOLUNTARILY issuing a recall on a lot that has had multiple demonstrations and complaints of defective brass, especially on an item they market as a defensive load, would show gross indifference and lack of concern for customers or product quality on their part.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They won't till you call
Hear! hear!
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#42]
I ordered a hundred rounds from Bud's, we'll see which lot number shows up. At $0.69/rd I figured worst case scenario is Hornady ends up replacing it and more reports of issues may help get the entire lot recalled.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Called Hornady today and they WILL NOT replace my ammo unless I demonstrate to them that
the ammo is bad, i.e. I have to risk my life to prove they have an issue, Well just Fuck Me Naked.
Now that there is some outstanding customer service.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Called Hornady today and they WILL NOT replace my ammo unless I demonstrate to them that
the ammo is bad, i.e. I have to risk my life to prove they have an issue, Well just Fuck Me Naked.
View Quote
With these particular failures, I don't know if a KB is really a concern (someone correct me if I'm wrong). We're not seeing ridiculous pressure signs, just bad brass. Mine will be here tomorrow. If it's this lot number, I plan on loading up a few rounds, one at a time, and seeing what happens. If it's a different lot number, I'm going to order a bunch more.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Did you shoot this same lot number and get split cases like the rest of us?

They damn sure better replace my ammo!
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 5:17:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Did you shoot this same lot number and get split cases like the rest of us?

They damn sure better replace my ammo!
View Quote
I have not shot this ammo, but do I need to drive a PD Crown Vic with the exploding gas tank to know there
is something wrong with that vehicle? Guess best not to buy
any Hornady products ever again - tell all the boys on the job and at the range the same thing, once again FMN.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#47]
it is worth having an actual gunsmith check your chamber too... both to see if that played any part in this and to verifiy that this hasnt caused any damage to the chamber. I'd rather know for sure than risk guessing.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#48]
My order from Bud's arrived today and it is a different lot number, 3173203. I'm hoping issues were contained to the lot number in the OP.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#49]
I just received a call from Hornady. They tested the ammo and are going to replace it.

The only problem is that they don't have any in stock, and it might be a while before they make more...
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I just received a call from Hornady. They tested the ammo and are going to replace it.

The only problem is that they don't have any in stock, and it might be a while before they make more...
View Quote
Good. Unfortunately it seems like it will take someone getting hurt before they consider recalling the entire lot

ETA: and fuck that, Bud's has it in stock. Tell them to order it for you or reimburse you for the cost of ordering it yourself
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top