Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2018 9:01:48 PM EDT
I recently ordered a Holosun LS221 through Brownells.
https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/electronic-sights/laser-sights/ls221-visible-and-ir-laser-sight-prod117504.aspx I think the total was about $503 to get it to show up at my door. It is the red laser version.
Attachment Attached File

It comes in a pelican box knock off and this one shipped with the handle pin missing on one side. I don't really care, I won't be using the box anyway.
Attachment Attached File

Inside the box is the unit itself, a pressure pad, an Allen wrench to adjust the rail attachment, a lens cloth, and nothing else. There are no instructions or manuals that came with it.
Attachment Attached File

A pic of the lasers
Attachment Attached File

The pressure pad. Its over molded like it should fit over a section of rail but somehow I don't see that working out well. There is velcro attached as well. I won't be using it, I'll stick to the button on top.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

The top of the unit. The button has a positive click to it and pressing it twice will give continuous on.
Attachment Attached File

The rear of the unit. The switch to move between IR and visible doesn't give a solid click when you move it between settings, it's just kind of there. I haven't been able to kick it out to distance yet so I'll update later if there is anything between the low and high settings.
Attachment Attached File

The elevation knob. When moving it for adjustment there is no click, it just moves as when screwing in a screw.
Attachment Attached File

The host is a 7.5 upper with a drop in 22LR CMMG bolt.
Attachment Attached File

Hard to see but there is visible metal on the back of the unit. Minor cosmetic issue to me, as I'll probably end up painting it anyway.

I'll hopefully get it out this weekend to get sighted in and try out the IR capabilities. I have no intentions on using this for anything other than the 22 and it'll be for small vermin control.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Please update when you get a chance. I’ve considered grabbing one when they are in sale but always talk myself out of it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:25:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Please update when you get a chance. I’ve considered grabbing one when they are in sale but always talk myself out of it.
View Quote
Will do. When I ordered there weren't really any reviews or info out about it. If anyone has specific questions or want photos of anything post it and I'll do my best to provide any details.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Will do. When I ordered there weren't really any reviews or info out about it. If anyone has specific questions or want photos of anything post it and I'll do my best to provide any details.
View Quote
I'd contact Holosun about the lack of clicks.    I have a 321 and they're tactile / audible.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you know if this will work with a Surefire dual switch? I am on the fence, if it will work with my current set up M300V then I might just get one.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 11:52:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do you know if this will work with a Surefire dual switch? I am on the fence, if it will work with my current set up M300V then I might just get one.
View Quote
no; that was one of my recommendations to them for the next gen.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 6:52:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

Finally got out last week and got it sighted in at 25 meters. On a bright sunny day (and a ton of April snow to reflect off) I was having trouble picking up the dot on the highest setting at that distance. Remember when I said the adjustment was mushy? Turns out that was just for the windage. The elevation has good positive and audible clicks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

Tried it out in the back yard and overall am very happy. There is some slight bloom at 21 meters (where the pic is taken and the camera seems to exaggerate this) but at distance the dot seemed very clear. Hopefully there will opportunity to shoot with it very soon. Pic was taken on the high IR setting.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks.

I might snag one of their all in one units.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 7:04:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Waiting to hear back from TNVC  to see it the TAPS will work with it. Its not a problem to reach over the top to fire the laser, it'd just be easier for me to have weapon and laser controls in the same spot.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#11]
The laser unit (and AR it's attached to) have been living in my truck with several 90°+ days. The unit is working fine and has retained zero. On the high setting I can just make out the dot at a half mile using PVS14s. Overall I'm liking it quite a bit.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#12]
How does the visible laser stack up at night with the naked eye?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#13]
For the $500+ cost I'd grab a lighlty used DBAL from the EE. Going rate is the same and the quality/durability isn'tin question. Most of the ones that pop up look just about brand new. Another option is DSG Arms. I paid a hair more for my i2 brand new from them than what OP paid for this unit. They go on sale regularly.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For the $500+ cost I'd grab a lighlty used DBAL from the EE. Going rate is the same and the quality/durability isn'tin question. Most of the ones that pop up look just about brand new. Another option is DSG Arms. I paid a hair more for my i2 brand new from them than what OP paid for this unit. They go on sale regularly.
View Quote

Having both, I would not recommend doing the I2 over the 221. I would recommend going a little further and going with an A3 or ATPIAL-C. If worried about durability my 221 sample size of one has been sufficiently rugged. It spends its days here:

Its been slammed around in the back seat and used in a few matches. Again, maybe I got lucky with my sample size of one. The huge benefit to me on the 221 was the slaved laser. It was super easy to zero and has held that zero. I've had no problems with the I2 either, but now I wish I would've just gotten one of the other two I mentioned earlier.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How does the visible laser stack up at night with the naked eye?
View Quote
Great at night, nonexistent during the day.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Great at night, nonexistent during the day.
View Quote
Perfect. Thank you. I'm going to give it a try, since I found a great deal on the fde green laser one.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 6:40:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Waiting to hear back from TNVC  to see it the TAPS will work with it. Its not a problem to reach over the top to fire the laser, it'd just be easier for me to have weapon and laser controls in the same spot.
View Quote
Never heard back from TNVC but I ordered a TAPS for the DBAL. Tried it on the 221 and it is not compatible. Works great with the DBAL though.

Link Posted: 10/27/2018 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#18]

I'll be interested in Haley's review, as he undoubtedly has a lot more time on it than I do.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 2:46:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Thank you for your post! Am interested in one of their 321G units with the built in illuminator and was looking at this one also for a .22 AR same as yours. Looks good, I hope the holosuns continue to get good reviews!
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top