Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2021 12:51:57 PM EDT
Looking for opinions on why one might be superior over the other. SHTF/target shooting is the intended purpose, effective out to max 400y but mostly less than 200y.

Holosun Pros:
- lightweight
- can remove magnifier
- 5 year battery
- Holosun magnifier is crisp and clear
- faster to flip magnifier than spin throw lever

Trijicon pros
- same weight as red dot+mag+buis
- no batteries ever
- excellent 1x eyebox
- better clarity and more magnification than magnifier

Downsides for each are, Trijicon isn’t great in low-light and Holosun doesn’t have bomb-proof reliability.

Anything other advice you guys have on this?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have an answer for you yet, but I figured I would tag this. I am running a Holosun circle dot with a Holosun magnifier this weekend in a Run N Gun event with targets out to 425. I usually use a 1x6 LPVO (Swampfox Tomahawk) that I have had good luck with. I have always kept it on 6x during the competitions so I am planning on trying to shoot with red dot first and then switching to the magnifier if I need it.

I am in no danger of winning or placing in this event, I like them for chance to run my stuff outdoors in non-static positions and practicing different combos. I'll let you know what I find out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both. Err well, I’ve had 24’s, I have 25’s now. You have a good understanding of the pros and cons of each, there isn’t a right answer. Go with whichever work better for you. Personally if I mostly wanted a red dot but sometimes more, I’d get the ACSS; whereas if I would use 4X as often I’d get the 24. At 200m both optics work fine as dead holds, and even @ 400 the 24 isn’t handicapped. Just aim @ the head-ish depending on zero. The other approach would be how much weight plays a factor.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't have an answer for you yet, but I figured I would tag this. I am running a Holosun circle dot with a Holosun magnifier this weekend in a Run N Gun event with targets out to 425. I usually use a 1x6 LPVO (Swampfox Tomahawk) that I have had good luck with. I have always kept it on 6x during the competitions so I am planning on trying to shoot with red dot first and then switching to the magnifier if I need it.

I am in no danger of winning or placing in this event, I like them for chance to run my I stuff outdoors in non-static positions and practicing different combos. I'll let you know what I find out.
View Quote

I’d love to hear how this works out!
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Honestly I wouldn't stress about the holosun's reliability. I'd trust a decently well made micro dot like the holosun over a lightweight scope like the TR24 any day, and this is coming from someone who runs variable optics on all his AR's over micro dots.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#5]
If your SHTF scenario includes hunting & survival use, I'd prefer a magnified optic with an etched reticle all the way.  If you're more concerned about HD use, then a red dot is probably the way to go.  If you're looking for one rifle to do it all, you can always put a piggybacked or offset Red Dot on the rifle in addition to your magnified optic.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honestly I wouldn't stress about the holosun's reliability. I'd trust a decently well made micro dot like the holosun over a lightweight scope like the TR24 any day, and this is coming from someone who runs variable optics on all his AR's over micro dots.
View Quote

Why is that? Trijicon has established themselves as a pretty reliably built product, while Holosun is still somewhat unproven.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:00:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If your SHTF scenario includes hunting & survival use, I'd prefer a magnified optic with an etched reticle all the way.  If you're more concerned about HD use, then a red dot is probably the way to go.  If you're looking for one rifle to do it all, you can always put a piggybacked or offset Red Dot on the rifle in addition to your magnified optic.
View Quote

Magnification being similar, is there a reason an etched reticle wins out over a magnified chevron ‘dot’?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Magnification being similar, is there a reason an etched reticle wins out over a magnified chevron ‘dot’?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Less dependent on battery or illumination as well as more accurate holdovers due to the reticle types
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Why is that? Trijicon has established themselves as a pretty reliably built product, while Holosun is still somewhat unproven.
View Quote

It's not so much the companies' reputations but rather the designs. Microdots are a very simple optics and there are numerous torture tests on holosuns and other microdots that show them to be very durable. Variable scopes have a lot more moving pieces in a long thin tube held to the rifle by a separate mount. Add that to just how light the tr24 is for an lpvo and I definitely wouldn't bet on the TR-24 being more rugged than the holosun. I know they have a good reputation and a lot of people swear by them, I just personally have a hard time trusting the TR24 over heavier more modern lpvo's like the razor and especially against other optic designs like prism scopes and red dots.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's not so much the companies' reputations but rather the designs. Microdots are a very simple optics and there are numerous torture tests on holosuns and other microdots that show them to be very durable. Variable scopes have a lot more moving pieces in a long thin tube held to the rifle by a separate mount. Add that to just how light the tr24 is for an lpvo and I definitely wouldn't bet on the TR-24 being more rugged than the holosun. I know they have a good reputation and a lot of people swear by them, I just personally have a hard time trusting the TR24 over heavier more modern lpvo's like the razor and especially against other optic designs like prism scopes and red dots.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 24 isn’t lighter because it’s weak, it’s lighter because it’s simply a smaller 1-4 optic as opposed to a 1-6/8. Also, it doesn’t have any electronics or associated housings/batteries/circuitry/etc. Is it more/less durable than Optic X? Dunno, but is it more than durable enough for most any reasonable use? Probably. If something broke it I’d bet it would have broken it’s average competition as well.

Also, the ACSS relies on electronics to work. If they fail for any reason, you have a useless optic. There aren’t electronics in the 24 to fail, but even if hypothetically its illumination were useless, it’s an etched reticle and is still usable.

^ I like both optics, and think both have their respective places.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

So Vortex had a problem with the razor genii when they cut weight on them. Lots of guys had problems with the adjustments and losing zero plus it’s a wire reticle. People don’t complain much because vortex replaces it but the TR24 is a great optic and it’s durable. The TR24 line is big with professional hunters/guides in Africa because of the fast acquisition and its ability to handle recoil of 375 and up cartridges
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:17:15 AM EDT
[#12]
The Trijicon Accupoint is a wire reticle if we're really getting down to the nuts and bolts. The single post triangle is probably the toughest wire reticle design made.

In the decade plus that the Accupoint has been around, I've heard of maybe 1 or 2 problems, both of which were members on here. Holosun has raised the bar for Chinese optics considerably, but they definitely don't have the track record of the Accupoint.

Myself, I'd be reluctant but would choose the Trijicon. I don't consider fiber optic illumination a benefit anywhere but weight, and I think if Trijicon didn't have a patent on it we'd see it mostly on entry level product lines.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Accupoints used to be known to fog, but for a SHTF gun I think I'd take it over a Holosun-and I say that as a happy holosun owner.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:04:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Accupoint.

Having owned lpvos in the $2,000+ Price range, I am still incredibly impressed with the accupoint
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:42:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Accupoint.  Zero at 50, confirm at 200, determine clicks/MOA up for 300 and 400, set as needed (I'd probably leave it on 300 which is usually +3MOA or so and learn to hold under for 50-250 and over for 350-400.
For 400yards I might say consider a 1-6 accupoint which opens up the mildot recticle (but I still prefer the red triangle)
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#16]
For a General purpose rifle I would take a LPVO. For a HD gun I would take a red dot.

Both setups are a compromise. red dots with 3x magnifier and a LVPO.  

Do you want an optic setup that's awesome at close range and okay at distance (red dot and mag)

or

Do you want a optic that's good at distance and okay close up.(LVPO)

I've had just about every setup imaginable. red dots, RD with 3x, LVPO, ACOGS, 2.5-10x, LVPO with offsets rd and ACOGS with offset rd. After all that I ended up with 2 setups.

11.5" BCM with Eotech for HD and all other close in shooting.
DDM4V7LW with a 1-6x. For Hunting Hogs/deer and general use.

I like to deal with the compromise the least as possible. So I just grab the rifle best suited for the type of shooting I'll be doing.

Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#17]
How did your setup end up going? Red dot vs LPVO?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top