Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/7/2023 3:22:57 PM EDT
I have looked at the Hk MR556 and considering buying one for a couple of years.  Only thing that stopped me was the availability.  Now, there is a chance I could pick one up.  But the price still has me questioning if I really NEED one.

I do have an LWRC, Sig Sauer 516, and a Brownell's 180 upper.  My interest is mostly due to the MARINES using the Hk416.  

Do any of you have the Hk MR556?  If so, how do you like it?  And would you buy it again knowing what you know now?
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By ltcdwb:
I have looked at the Hk MR556 and considering buying one for a couple of years.  Only thing that stopped me was the availability.  Now, there is a chance I could pick one up.  But the price still has me questioning if I really NEED one.

I do have an LWRC, Sig Sauer 516, and a Brownell's 180 upper.  My interest is mostly due to the MARINES using the Hk416.  

Do any of you have the Hk MR556?  If so, how do you like it?  And would you buy it again knowing what you know now?
View Quote

Have one great rifle, it has the usual piston issues of weight and slightly increased recoil  otherwise accurate, reliable and the stock trigger is good -comparable to most of the nickel Teflon coated “enhanced” GI triggers.

Though you want it because/ Marines, and they use the shirt 1913 rail version, I would recommend the newest version with the factory MLOK handguard and the lighter barrel..
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I already have a couple of rifles with the cheese grater handguard.  I am looking at the MLok version.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I personally would just get a BRN-4 upper.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 12:19:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I have two MR556 uppers and would absolutely spend the money again.

I chopped and threaded one to 12.5" at work and then did the second to 14.5" P&W. Got two 11" M27 1913 handguards for both and a Geissele 14.5" as a spare.

Spend the money if you have the funds, they're really neat and well worth it IMO. And if you don't like it I may end up buying it from you haha!
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a couple of 516s, and at one time had several more.  I also have an MR556 (Geissele trigger and M-Lok rail).  The 516s are nice but the MR556 is, imho, a higher quality beast of a rifle.  Grossly overbuilt, and heavy (heavier than the 516).  But it shoots like a dream.  Very accurate and so far 100% reliable.  I love the 516 platform but if I could only have one, I would take the MR556.  And in case you are wondering why I reduced the number of 516s I owned, it was because I have fallen in love with the MCX Virtus, and have acquired a few of them over the past couple of years.  You might want to take a good look at the MCX, especially the new Spear LT.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:26:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TurtlesAlltheWayDown] [#6]
I was issued a m27 so had to get one.

MR556 are surprisingly accurate in my experience.  Extremely high quality rifle.  Very accurate and reliable.  Heavy and expensive.  Carry one for a month, it’ll make a m4 feel like a BB gun.

Get a 11” rail and ta11SDO / Trijicon LPVO and you’ve got darn near a m27 (bayonet lug but whatevs)

There’s a firing pin safety that severely limits which triggers you can use.  It can be removed.  I believe the Brownells 416 BCG doesn’t have the safety also.

You can save money and get a MR556 upper, just make sure to get the HK spring and a heavy buffer, the upper is way over gassed by design, if you use normal AR15 buffer/spring it’ll beat the shit out of the system

Did I “need” a mr556? No.  Do I enjoy mine? Yes!
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Between HK USA and MGW there are parts available.  HK just had a 20% off sale and had the uppers in stock.  $1735 for an upper is steep.
Mine was 7lb 14oz out of the box - kinda chubby, but not bad.  I'd buy mine again, but the only thing I don't like is the stupid locking lower receiver pins.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 3:11:24 AM EDT
[#8]
So.. you want a 416 clone thats grossly overpriced and lacking many of the features that makes the 416 a great rifle? I mean, if thats your goal, i guess go for it. There are several better guns out there in that price range, and even less, but if you want a 416 lookalike (and lookalike only) then thats whatll scratch that itch.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 5:05:01 AM EDT
[#9]
HK MR556 (Civilian HK416) to 500yds: Practical Accuracy
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#10]
https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/cart

Now is a good time to buy an upper kit.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Uys:

View Quote

You are a good person!
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 5:11:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#12]
Originally Posted By xxbrotherhood77:
View Quote
That was my choice. I used to have an MR556 (in 14,5) that I never liked. It was the form factor I didn't like, I don't like much long barreled rifles - I like SBRs almost exclusively.

My MR556

MR556 by Solo__, on Flickr

So I went the route of the BRN-4 which I customized with actual HK parts (bolt carrier specifically).

I absolutely love mine, became my favorite firearm (I have quite many).

On an SBR, the amount of weight is only truly marginal compared to longer barreled rifles, so I don't really feel too much weight and frankly, I can't tell the increased recoil either.

Would buy instantly again

BRN-4 416D Geissele by Solo__, on Flickr

Link Posted: 5/27/2023 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Solo_:
That was my choice. I used to have an MR556 (in 14,5) that I never liked. It was the form factor I didn't like, I don't like much long barreled rifles - I like SBRs almost exclusively.

My MR556

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/8166501732_fb61178f05_h.jpgMR556 by Solo__, on Flickr

So I went the route of the BRN-4 which I customized with actual HK parts (bolt carrier specifically).

On an SBR, the amount of weight is only truly marginal compared to longer barreled rifles, so I don't really feel too much weight and frankly, I can't tell the increased recoil either.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52863838627_e7176a60c9_h.jpgBRN-4 416D Geissele by Solo__, on Flickr

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By xxbrotherhood77:

My MR556

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/8166501732_fb61178f05_h.jpgMR556 by Solo__, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52863838627_e7176a60c9_h.jpgBRN-4 416D Geissele by Solo__, on Flickr

Do you really have one side of your ambi-safety flipped to appear to have full auto?
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 11:33:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Claytonhoneyberry:

Do you really have one side of your ambi-safety flipped to appear to have full auto?
View Quote
Haha - just a glitch of my ambi-safety
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Phil1712:

You are a good person!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Phil1712:

You are a good person!

Glad I could be of help.  Interesting that it ships in the full size rifle case?  I got one during one of their 20% off sales.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:36:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnyLoco] [#16]
Between HK USA and MGW there are parts available.  HK just had a 20% off sale and had the uppers in stock.  $1735 for an upper is steep.
Mine was 7lb 14oz out of the box - kinda chubby, but not bad.  I'd buy mine again, but the only thing I don't like is the stupid locking lower receiver pins.
View Quote

Will the upper work on a standard ar15 lower considering the pins on the HK?

I got my Sig 516 14.5 upper, chf chrome lined barrel and fa bcg on sale from Sig a few years back for about $499. Am I really gaining much with the MR556?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 4:33:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#17]
Originally Posted By JohnnyLoco:

I got my Sig 516 14.5 upper, chf chrome lined barrel and fa bcg on sale from Sig a few years back for about $499. Am I really gaining much with the MR556?
View Quote
Older, civilian MR556s didn't work on standard AR15 lowers but this has been corrected in recent years.

ETA I have no SIG516; for me, my SBR MR556/416 was a fundamental addition to my collection (I have two more piston guns, an ARX100 and an ACR)
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 4:34:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Uys] [#18]

View All Quotes

I wish I would have gotten in on the SIG 516 uppers back then.
The upper fits right on an AR lower.  I put mine on a BCM lower.

The HK pins I called stupid are on the lower receiver.  The were easily replaced with regular AR fore/aft receiver pins.  I called them stupid because one has to have a tool, like a small hex key, to unlock the pins and separate the upper from the lower.  I have no idea why they are like that.  Why use one part when you can use four parts to get the same thing accomplished?

I like the fact that I can stock up on spare parts for the MR556, I don't know if you can still get any parts from SIG.  

I had a PWS upper and didn't care for it and am giving the Caracal 816 some thought, but would like to see some more reviews from regular users.  My gain is that it is something else to mess around with.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 4:49:21 PM EDT
[#19]

My MR556

View Quote

I look at your BRN4 SBR upper and then look at all the parts on Brownells, that are 15% off right now, and I wonder what the wife will say when the box shows up in the mail?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#20]

I wish I would have gotten in on the SIG 516 uppers back then.
The upper fits right on an AR lower.  I put mine on a BCM lower.

The HK pins I called stupid are on the lower receiver.  The were easily replaced with regular AR fore/aft receiver pins.  I called them stupid because one has to have a tool, like a small hex key, to unlock the pins and separate the upper from the lower.  I have no idea why they are like that.  Why use one part when you can use four parts to get the same thing accomplished?

I like the fact that I can stock up on spare parts for the MR556, I don't know if you can still get any parts from SIG.  

I had a PWS upper and didn't care for it and am giving the Caracal 816 some thought, but would like to see some more reviews from regular users.  My gain is that it is something else to mess around with.
View Quote

I’m pretty sure the 516 is discontinued and on contract only. From what I see with the MR556/416, you can get a variety of original or aftermarket parts, especially if they’re compatible with the brn/brownells stuff, not sure though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#21]

I look at your BRN4 SBR upper and then look at all the parts on Brownells, that are 15% off right now, and I wonder what the wife will say when the box shows up in the mail?
View Quote

Tell her you funded it with her engagement ring.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 6:39:31 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote
Hahhahahahhah  I told my wife it was an investment (I SWEAR)

DO IT!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By InfamousAK:

Tell her you funded it with her engagement ring.
View Quote

Thanks, that'll really help.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#24]

DO IT!!!!!
View All Quotes

DO IT!!!!!
I pulled the trigger yesterday. I ate my 15% savings by getting the Gucci Geissele rail instead of that smokin' deal on the HK cheesegrater for $200.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:33:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Congrats.  Love mine and you’ll likely do the same.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By NunyaBidness:
I pulled the trigger yesterday. I ate my 15% savings by getting the Gucci Geissele rail instead of that smokin' deal on the HK cheesegrater for $200.
View Quote

You will love the Geissele rail.  I have one on mine and it is terrific.  No comparison between it and the original.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By NunyaBidness:
View Quote

I have the following rails for mine …

Original H-Key
HK416 1913 Quad (taken off a real 416)
Geissele 14.5” DDC

The G is my favorite.

For my MR762 I have …

Original MLOK black
Original MLOK FDE
HK417 1913 Extended
Geissele 14.5 DDC

Again, I like the G Super Modular.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top